Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Flood car advice

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Flood car advice

I know he's way off on price but I wanted your advice on buying a flood car. It's on eBay now at this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-LS7-Yellow-Flood-Salvage-Fixed-16K-Miles-Alot-Xtras-/231015079484?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c9925e3c#ht_1151wt_1165 Sounds like trouble, what do you guys think? Still looking for something around $32K.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If he is way off on price, he could be way off on how much damage this car really had. "Minor damage" but has a salvage title?

There is a sucker born every minute. Get a used Z06 without any excuses.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:00 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Run Forrest, Run

Just say No

There's an Azz for every seat

A fool and his money are soon parted

Swamp Land for sale here . . . . .
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default I think the story went like this!!!!!!!!

Run is right!!!!!!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 399 Likes on 281 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Save your money.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Absolutely do not buy. Electrical gremlins will haunt you like nothing you've ever experienced with a car. Run, don't walk!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

There are three offers on this car on fleabay....

Two are declined and one is pending from a previous person who made an offer.

Any guesses on what someone has actually offerred on this car?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the car may have sold for as low as $18,000 at auction. See THIS link.

I'd be afraid to offer him $30K for it for fear he would accept it.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Looks like the car may have sold for as low as $18,000 at auction. See THIS link.

I'd be afraid to offer him $30K for it for fear he would accept it.
You are a GREAT detective!!!!! Nice find......

He wants big money for this car with a salvage title. That is
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

If the car had a salvage title because of an accident, no frame damage, it was properly repaired and the mileage was shown as actual it should be going for about 40-50% less than a clean titled similar car would sell for.

For a flood car with a salvage title stating not actual miles and with a modified engine it should be used as a parts car or a track car but not a drive on the street car and should be priced well under $20k.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Flood Car

You guys are great and on your advice I will not even think about it. One thing with talking with the guy, it doesn't even have a title yet. You still have to show it's been fixed and apply for one. I think you guys are correct, parts car at best.
Thanks again
Dave
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z76232
You guys are great and on your advice I will not even think about it. One thing with talking with the guy, it doesn't even have a title yet. You still have to show it's been fixed and apply for one. I think you guys are correct, parts car at best.
Thanks again
Dave
I have to wonder why anyone would even CONSIDER buyer a car like this?

Is it because of the idea of maybe saving some $$$$ the motivator?

I mean when you want to turn around and sell it does one want to have to go through this again?

You can save $$$$ finding a no excuse car and finding a motivated seller.

And now this car doesn't even have a title.

Good luck on your search.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Roddy1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flood title cars are most always a bad risk. I know of a local guy who was part of the insurance recovery team from the big storm last year. He got some bargains on cars that he picked up that had never been flooded but still got flood titles because they were parked in areas where flooding occurred. Pretty sure he pulled some shady deals to do it.

I'm an electrical engineer and I wouldn't buy one.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:02 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Roddy1
Flood title cars are most always a bad risk. I know of a local guy who was part of the insurance recovery team from the big storm last year. He got some bargains on cars that he picked up that had never been flooded but still got flood titles because they were parked in areas where flooding occurred. Pretty sure he pulled some shady deals to do it.

I'm an electrical engineer and I wouldn't buy one.
I'm no electrical engineer but my guess would be that this car would end up potentially becoming a rust bucket piece of squat. Who the heck wants to deal with that.

The seller even advertised the water level came up to the seats. Bye bye frame.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Neighbor, just purchased a Hurricane Sandy Ford Edge. Water was up to the seats inside the car. The wiring to the rear lift gate had shorted out inside the connector and it had gotten hot enough to melt/burn. When I looked at it he had cleaned all of the other connectors and pretty much had everything working except some of the seat options. The seat tracks had a lot of corrosion on them and the formed sheet metal panels that held the seat bottom foam were heavily corroded. They definitely needed sand blasting so he took the seats apart and found the panels were heavily corroded on both sides and when sand blasted to get the pits out they would be seriously thin in some areas. I asked him what he was going to do about the bottoms of the doors and the lift gate and all the other hidden places in a car's sheet metal structure. The car is sitting in his driveway now waiting for a bunch of parts including the seat panels but I think he will still have a rust bucket when he is done.

At least most of the body on a Vette is plastic and the frame is pretty heavy duty. Most metal cars have a unit body structure made out of thin shaped sheet metal and really subject to structure weakening corrosion issues.

The frame on my 10 year old Tahoe has been exposed to salt and sand for its entire lifetime and is still strong as hell so I know thick steel frames do hold up.

Bill
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Neighbor, just purchased a Hurricane Sandy Ford Edge. Water was up to the seats inside the car. The wiring to the rear lift gate had shorted out inside the connector and it had gotten hot enough to melt/burn. When I looked at it he had cleaned all of the other connectors and pretty much had everything working except some of the seat options. The seat tracks had a lot of corrosion on them and the formed sheet metal panels that held the seat bottom foam were heavily corroded. They definitely needed sand blasting so he took the seats apart and found the panels were heavily corroded on both sides and when sand blasted to get the pits out they would be seriously thin in some areas. I asked him what he was going to do about the bottoms of the doors and the lift gate and all the other hidden places in a car's sheet metal structure. The car is sitting in his driveway now waiting for a bunch of parts including the seat panels but I think he will still have a rust bucket when he is done.

At least most of the body on a Vette is plastic and the frame is pretty heavy duty. Most metal cars have a unit body structure made out of thin shaped sheet metal and really subject to structure weakening corrosion issues.

The frame on my 10 year old Tahoe has been exposed to salt and sand for its entire lifetime and is still strong as hell so I know thick steel frames do hold up.

Bill
Hopefully he paid only $5 for that SUV.

Get notified of new replies

To Flood car advice

Old 07-18-2013, 02:18 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 659 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by jdot
Don't do it.
Agreed - not even of half $32K...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:01 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd buy it as a track car and rip the interior out...but not anywhere near the price he's asking.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM
dwspas
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's a salt water flood car your asking for electrical problems. I've had fresh water flood cars and have experienced few problems. I was lucky that I owned a body shop and had staff that could address the problems. If you buy it still watch out and have the car really checked out by a dealer or an experienced mechanic. My advice, if not really handy with tools and trouble shooting don't buy it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flood car advice