Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 AM
flea_sly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jashearer
And I should have snapped it up when you gave me the chance, have an empty garage stall right now and not happy about it.

Jay
I think people were thinking I was lying to them when I told them they better look at buying it quick, because it's gonna go fast. It went to a great home for sure.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 AM
USCGREEL
Racer

WTB = Gold

Buy a base model if you dont want to spend the money, you can always just wish you had a Z06.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Z06Thunder
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's prime season for vettes. If you want a better price buy when winter gets here. I sold my 2011 GT500 almost 2 weeks ago and got what I wanted out of it. I got my down payment back and most of my tax money so I'm happy. Going to wait for a year on a vette if I can lol. I'd love to have had the $99K Carbon vette that sold on here for $65K but time wasn't right. Hope to find a deal like that when I'm ready to buy
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM
KrautV8
Advanced

Well you guys shouldn't forget the C6Z is, depending on its year of built, a 5-6 year old car! Thats rly a lot. Personally, I also think the prices of C6Z are too high these times, since 2 years ago u got em for less than 40k (and they were 2 years younger...). So I wait till fall...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by toxin440
This thread is amusing -- I'm actually trying to sell my 08 Z06, 2LZ, Nav, chrome, some tasteful mods and some that add damn good value. for 44-45 A car that's truly immaculate, babied, and mechanically perfect.
I personally love your car, and have thought about contacting you about buying it. But here's what stops me. A new 2013 Z roughly equipped similar to yours can be had for $70k. Your wanting around $45 IIRC - and I think that's close to market. But, if we run the numbers that's a 64% residual on a 5 year old car.

Used to be that a decent residual value was 55% after 3 years. Close to 65% after 5 years? That would have been unbelievable half a decade ago.

It seems to me that the prices on used cars in general are historically high right now. With my luck the used market would correct right after I buy. So instead, I sit on the sidelines for now.

Last edited by etekberg; 05-02-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 AM
sw07gt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the OP, when I first started looking at C6Zs two years ago the 06s were cheaper than they are now. Ive been considering LS3 coupes too but people on here want too much for theirs. Why buy a 40k+ mile 08 for 32-34k when I could buy a sub 15k mile 13 from a dealership for 38-40k?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sw07gt
I agree with the OP, when I first started looking at C6Zs two years ago the 06s were cheaper than they are now. Ive been considering LS3 coupes too but people on here want too much for theirs. Why buy a 40k+ mile 08 for 32-34k when I could buy a sub 15k mile 13 from a dealership for 38-40k?
Why bother then. Put your money where your mouth is, go by the one you referenced from the dealership - and post pictures. If you've been looking for two years - I'm willing to bet there are other reasons you don't have one sitting in your garage.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Stroker_9
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The C6Z is not going to drop that much at all when the C7 is available. The majority of people who keep posting this are people trying to buy C6Z's.

They are not in the same class. the C7 stingray is not the C7Z. when the C7Z comes out then yes the C6Z will drop in price. Until then, I will have fun destroying the C7. At least they will be able to see nice C6Z rear lights instead of the Camaro looking things they are stuck with lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM
sw07gt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Why bother then. Put your money where your mouth is, go by the one you referenced from the dealership - and post pictures. If you've been looking for two years - I'm willing to bet there are other reasons you don't have one sitting in your garage.
I can't afford a 40k car, I'm a 22 year old on a budget. I can't find anything I want around 30k so I'll just keep my money in the bank.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by etekberg
Used to be that a decent residual value was 55% after 3 years. Close to 65% after 5 years? That would have been unbelievable half a decade ago.
You can't compare residual on a Toyota Camry to a Corvette. Corvettes historically hold their value better than other vehicles.

There's no law to used car pricing. There's only the collective attitude of the market. Complaining about prices in general is stupid. Now if one guy is trying to get $20k more for his car than what everybody else is pricing... That'd be understandable to gripe about.

Think a price is too high? Don't buy it. Simple.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
JRC6Z06
Heel & Toe

There are still great deals out there, I just bought an 07 2lz Z06 from the original owner with 1188 original miles, all stock for 44600? Guess I overpaid lol...
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by etekberg
I personally love your car, and have thought about contacting you about buying it. But here's what stops me. A new 2013 Z roughly equipped similar to yours can be had for $70k. Your wanting around $45 IIRC - and I think that's close to market. But, if we run the numbers that's a 64% residual on a 5 year old car.

It seems to me that the prices on used cars in general are historically high right now. With my luck the used market would correct right after I buy. So instead, I sit on the sidelines for now.
Thank you for the compliment

One thing you have to also factor in when it comes to stretches of time 5 years in this case is the buying power of the money itself. Inflation does become a factor when you are looking at what you can actually buy then vs now.

Mileage too -- a car that's only driven 4500 miles a year is going to see less wear/tear/etc. All these little things do add up bit by bit and just looking at the numbers I've been offered vs what I see, I still firmly believe most of the numbers here are spot on.

The problem I've run into most when it comes to currently selling the Z06 is people simply don't have the cash or the financing. I've gone through two serious buyers that wanted to pull the trigger but had to wait. I'm not saying that in a negative connotation, that's just life. I don't know many people that have $50k sitting around to blow on a toy personally.

After a week on ebay, a week + on the forum, I slid my price down about 10% from what my original research told me I could get. Biggest lesson I've learned so far is that unless you are selling a POS worth 5K or less, Ebay motors is filled with low ballers and lookey-loo's
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold

Not me - the price of gold has dropped sharply as of late - mine is made of Platinum . . .
Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whenever I buy, I try to scour the web for the best price of a similarly optioned car and use that for comparisons.

There is no hard and fast rule on depreciation or value - only the average of what people are willing to buy and sell for. So many things (season, inflation, economy, new models, etc) contribute to that...

so basically, do your homework. If every Z you find is $40K+ then either everyone is crazy and listing their car for fun, or you're hoping to be the one guy that gets a completely unlikely bargain (there always seems to be one guy that walks into a distressed widower sale or something).

Hope you are paying cash, and are ready to put down a deposit right then and there.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM
asian-winkie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the market for a Z06 but holding off to sell my old car first and see what happens to the price once the C7 comes in. I had a 07 (Should've never sold it. Should’ve never bought stupid house) but the new C7 interior is hard one to pass by.

Being car business for 10yrs this is what it come down to.

1. It's a free market society so seller could ask what ever they want. Buyer doesn't have to buy it if they don't like the price.

2. price is a market reflection on availability and demand. If no demand, then the price will drops like a rock (aka Hummers). If no cars available, price will jump over night.

3. Most buyers forgot that Manufactures have been raising the MSRP on the Z06s and GTRs, and continued to do so every year due to production cuts. This is one of the reason why used Z06s and GTR are holding their price. (lot of luxury item has been scaled back on production and increased the price during weak economy. My watch I paid 4k is now going for 10K!!!!)

4. Weak dollars made US perfect market for all the exporters. They are exporting lot of cars out of US, driving up use car prices.

I can go on all day but here is what it comes down to. If you don't like the price then you and the seller do not share the same value of the product so just move on. Given enough time all item will drop in price.

On the side note I think the performance numbers on the C7 will be very close to the C6Z06 (475?vs 505) and when you factor in the new dual clutch tranny and launch control, the real world performance will be even closer. My personal opinion is that it will be hard to get 50-45k for C6Z06 when you can get a shinny new C7 (you will have to order one) 52+ with better interior, warranty, options you want, better fuel economy, updated styling, and latest technology.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM
asian-winkie
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker_9
The C6Z is not going to drop that much at all when the C7 is available. The majority of people who keep posting this are people trying to buy C6Z's.

They are not in the same class. the C7 stingray is not the C7Z. when the C7Z comes out then yes the C6Z will drop in price. Until then, I will have fun destroying the C7. At least they will be able to see nice C6Z rear lights instead of the Camaro looking things they are stuck with lol.
We have to wait until the final numbers are in but I think you might be surprised by the new C7. Only +/-30hp difference but much more efficient tranny and electronics.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM
dantey
Instructor

here's a 2009 Z06 asking $47k

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3779722453.html

Get notified of new replies

To wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Stroker_9
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asian-winkie
We have to wait until the final numbers are in but I think you might be surprised by the new C7. Only +/-30hp difference but much more efficient tranny and electronics.
I understand what your saying, but I wont be surprised by a C7. Mine is very well modded and about to go under the knife next month for additional power.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-zo6-idle.html
Old 05-02-2013, 04:17 PM
jashearer
Racer

No HP numbers for the C7 yet, your 475 estimate is definitely no better than Tadge's "at least 450" estimate. At 450 and 100 lbs more, it will be a slower than the C6z, hell at 475 and 100 lbs more it will still be slower.

No DCT, not sure where you got that from, take a look on the C7 section, you can't throw a rock in there without the DCT / AWD guys ruining a thread.

I had my CTS-V for sale for 8 months before someone paid anywhere close to my asking price, I dealt with probably 1 guy a week who needed to know every detail about my car and then finally when we agreed on a price he would go to a bank and realize the bank won't give him 100% of the money... it doesn't matter whether you sell $50k cars or $18k cars, people try to stretch their budgets on toys.

I now have an empty garage stall and a pocket full of cash. Once I get a few things settled in my personal life I'll be trying to give $40k to the first person to accept it. I hope the car I keep fantasizing about is still available.

Jay
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
ISUCyclone
Advanced

I've been reading that the car will be roughly 400lbs heavier than C6Z and with the estimated ~475HP I think the C7 base will not have the same performance.

Everyone keeps throwing around the $52k price, but as others have mentioned I don't think they C7's will be sold for actual MSRP until a few years after (possibly once the C7Z is released)

At the end of the day though we can all speculate, but only time will tell

Quick Reply: wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold