Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not dogmatic about my choice to buy a used Z06 over a new C7.

To each his own, and I can definitely see why someone would prefer the C7.

For me, I refused to buy the first year run of the C7. Let any "bugs" get discovered by other people and possibly get addressed GM. Even if not addressed by GM, at least then I will know about the problems and how to remedy them or prepare for them, e.g. I knew about the valve drop issue with the C6 Z06 and my decision to buy one took that into account. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I didn't want to wait 2 years before buying used C7. This was 7 months ago, and I wanted to buy a Corvette and not wait, so it was between a new or newer Grand Sport vs. used Z06, and I chose the latter.

As others have mentioned, the C6 Z06 outperforms the C7, maybe not by much. But the C7 has better interior and different looks that some might prefer. It's growing on me, still a little bit bling and back end funny, but I'll come around to it by the time they release the Z07 or whatever you call it.

In my case, I purchased a 4 year GMPP with my certified preowned Z06. Yes it was 5 years old, but it had 6,000 miles on it, was a perfect condition, somebody's garage queen, and any major problems would have likely manifested in the 6,000 miles, i.e. you might think that it's always better to have a brand new car but there are actually some benefits to buying a lightly used car that has proven to be problem free and has depreciated a little bit.

Anyway, these were my reasons, your mileage may vary. The price of something is determined by the market, so no use complaining or philosophizing about why used Z06 prices are greater than what you want to pay. It is what it is. I will be juggling some of these issues when my GMPP comes up in a few years and need to decide if I want to supercharge/cam it versus selling it stock and buying the high performance version of the C7.

Last edited by Adam_W; 12-01-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 AM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

here you go a z06 for under 30k
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-07-corvette-z-06-nav-hud-runs-drives-perfect-/261343515561?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cd94993a9&item=261343515561&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ukester
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 | eBay

Ok, see, just reading his listing, I can tell you this car has had an accident of some sort. He keeps saying is drives great and it looks good. Etc.
I pulled the auto check, low and behold, it has an accident!

AND, it has a 103k miles!!! Com'n man, no **** this car is priced under 30k. Go buy this piece of **** if you want to be a cheap player in the Z game. You can find well maintained lower mile comparables for high 30's, just have to look. Trust me, if you bought this car, you will be paying for it in the long run.

If you're going to give us an example of a sub 30k with average miles and clean body, etc, do THAT. Not this pile of **** you linked to us on EBay.

Aj
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Didn't you say you're in the market for one? Are you gonna buy that one?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 PM
ukester
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 93 Posts

I am in the market but I am also looking at a zr1, I did not say this car is the best but some here asked about a z under 30 grand.
I would not be afraid to buy this but it may be a great deal or a bust no one knows until you look at it.
I had a new 08 Jetstream blue z06

Last edited by ukester; 12-02-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added some
Old 12-02-2013, 05:44 PM
ibleedgreen
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam_W
I shopped for a while before buying my '08 Z06 several months ago.

I went through this process of not feeling well that the Z06's value would drop some after the C7 came out, and then drop some more in a year or two after the hi-powered version of the C7 came out.

I came to terms with the fact that all sports cars are depreciating assets, not investments, and are luxuries to own, not just because of the cost of the vehicle but because of the associated opportunity costs of what could be otherwise done with that money.

If I stuck my $ 52K in a mutual fund and waited 3 years, the same used '08 Z06 I was looking at would cost less and I might have more money at that time. If I kept the money in the mutual fund and kept waiting, I'd be even further ahead 5 years out, and C6 Z06s would be worth even less.
And yet all that time I wouldn't have a Corvette.

So I went ahead and bought it, and have been enjoying it most every day for the past several months. Life is too short and who knows how long we have to live. There is no guarantee that I will be alive or healthy when the C7 Z07 (or whatever you call it) comes out. If one can afford the luxury of sports car and want it, then just get it. There is no perfect time for buying a sports car.
Well put.

Originally Posted by Mdm23
People that are buying C6Z's at current prices realize they're a good bang for the buck. All these people waiting and claiming they'll dip below $30k probably wouldn't buy one if they were that price either.
Exactly right...**** talkers
Old 12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

There's a 2011 ZR1 and asking price is 71K.......if you can sell a piece of your soul for a little extra dough, I'd get that!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Rnalecz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also another fun fact!
Wanting the prices to drop, not only would that make your car constantly tank so in the end you lose more money, but your pride and joy would be joined with teenage kids that could afford Zs and race around the city!
Also I will warn you, better pick up your Corvette quick in the winter, because the opposite will happen, and they will actually go back up in the summer!

Gold is worth Gold.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:36 PM
Rnalecz
Instructor

This is for people who want to get educated.
Take a look at this graph, this is the government posting the average prices of each year Corvette, including base and Z06.

You may think the prices are dropping now, but that is only due to winter time. Once summer comes around they will be back up like it happens every year. The top graph shows exactly 2 years date to date.

In this graph you can see the average of the prices with c5 averages. This graph shows the prices of both Corvettes for 3 years. If you do the math, the 08 loses only 6.9% in 3 total years, 07 loses only 5.2%, 06 loses only 1.4%. (percentage is marked from today's date to same date exactly 3 years ago) C5s lose an average of 3%. This being said, with such a small drop in price over THREE years and owners driving their Corvettes and placing more and more miles. Technically you can argue the prices of Corvettes are actually going up every year (but average drops due to more miles) You will not see any other sports car keep their price like this. I don't understand why so many people who want to buy a Z06, do not realize they are buying one of the best sport cars for the buck as it is.

Now if you want to see a normal car like a Mercedes vs Corvette this is the perfect graph. The E class a respectable car, loses 25% in 2 years! That is 4,000 a year! So if you like to wait around and get a cheap car, wait for this not a Z06 or Corvette!

So Z06s are not made of gold. Every Corvette including the Z06s are made of gold.

Last edited by Rnalecz; 12-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:42 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
Ok, see, just reading his listing, I can tell you this car has had an accident of some sort. He keeps saying is drives great and it looks good. Etc.
I pulled the auto check, low and behold, it has an accident!

AND, it has a 103k miles!!! Com'n man, no **** this car is priced under 30k. Go buy this piece of **** if you want to be a cheap player in the Z game. You can find well maintained lower mile comparables for high 30's, just have to look. Trust me, if you bought this car, you will be paying for it in the long run.

If you're going to give us an example of a sub 30k with average miles and clean body, etc, do THAT. Not this pile of **** you linked to us on EBay.

Aj

Just like this forum. haha

Just because a car has had a bump, and some miles does not make it a POS.... could it be? yes, but so could some PRESTINE clear title 20k car that some sip **** old man had. burn the clutch up, smoked in, never washed, and then has it detailed and put for sale.

It very well could be a nice car that had a small bump, was fixed right and just has some highway miles.... you nevee know. this forum is scared of anything that is not "car show stuff"
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM
SgtRod
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

As well as these cars hold their value, once the mileage hits above a certain number a cars value will tank!

Keep holding on if your not driving them...if you are, prepare to keep it or loose all the money you held out for..
Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
09gtr
Instructor

This thread is funny as hell! It took on a life of its own and is very entertaining.

Please keep it up guys.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mittens
Just like this forum. haha

Just because a car has had a bump, and some miles does not make it a POS.... could it be? yes, but so could some PRESTINE clear title 20k car that some sip **** old man had. burn the clutch up, smoked in, never washed, and then has it detailed and put for sale.

It very well could be a nice car that had a small bump, was fixed right and just has some highway miles.... you nevee know. this forum is scared of anything that is not "car show stuff"
Touche. You are right, those owners exist... Unfortunate, but true. I personally go and inspect every car i buy. So i would see if it were smoked in, abused, etc. Plus, a dealer PPI would pop up any other issues it may have.

I'd say, there is a small market of those buyers who would be ok with above average wear and tear, but the price would need to reflect as such.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Default C6

They are worthy for sure. Had four of them
then went to my C6. Check it out in the C6 for sale
Section. Good luck
Old 12-25-2013, 11:38 AM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Well, after 25 days, no takers. Car has been relisted. I would think that it has some history behind it. Anyone know?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 PM
BigBirdXX
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tail_lights
Well, after 25 days, no takers. Car has been relisted. I would think that it has some history behind it. Anyone know?
Merry Christmas.

The reaction to the C7 that I witnessed at Carlisle was overwhelming. In addition, there is a lot of talk from the guys in the Corvette club I belong to pertaining to buying a new C7. These retired guys in their 60s and 70s want it! For some of them, the C7 will be the last Vette.
For the summer of 2014, take your pick for used C6 cars!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

black on black ZO6, 20k, clean title.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4241846576.html

worth calling on....

Get notified of new replies

To wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold

Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Dr Gordon
Racer

Originally Posted by BigBirdXX
Merry Christmas.

The reaction to the C7 that I witnessed at Carlisle was overwhelming. In addition, there is a lot of talk from the guys in the Corvette club I belong to pertaining to buying a new C7. These retired guys in their 60s and 70s want it! For some of them, the C7 will be the last Vette.
For the summer of 2014, take your pick for used C6 cars!
Correct. I just sold my c6z for a c7 too. The only reason you would buy a c6 right now over a c7 are because of two reasons :

1. Your income bracket doesn't afford you to comfortably buy a c7. These people full of bs right now, saying how c6 is still in demand...no it's just that you are not the target market for these new c7 cars - you're too poor.

2. You found a good deal on a c6 that makes owning the less popular, old model corvette worth it for your financial situation. This is not often as prices have not adjusted to the real supply and demand....see everyone that can afford these c7's are dumping their c6's. However normally to the dealership on a trade for the c7 - that's why you don't see the good prices in the private market yet. My vette sold in 1 day - 2007 z06 blue, low miles, $36,500. I feel I got a fair price...now that doesn't mean I didn't lose money...I just don't eat the loss like an *** and tell everyone how valuable my c6 is (is not) lol. This board is full of winners!

Last edited by Dr Gordon; 12-27-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:38 AM
bptuner
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

really nice find mittens

its a sign of things to come once the dealers get over populated with c6s they will have to drop the price which will make all the private sellers drop as well I think next winter will be when I make my move but will be checking to see if I cant get one sooner
Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr Gordon
Correct. I just sold my c6z for a c7 too. The only reason you would buy a c6 right now over a c7 are because of two reasons :

1. Your income bracket doesn't afford you to comfortably buy a c7. These people full of bs right now, saying how c6 is still in demand...no it's just that you are not the target market for these new c7 cars - you're too poor.

2. You found a good deal on a c6 that makes owning the less popular, old model corvette worth it for your financial situation. This is not often as prices have not adjusted to the real supply and demand....see everyone that can afford these c7's are dumping their c6's. However normally to the dealership on a trade for the c7 - that's why you don't see the good prices in the private market yet. My vette sold in 1 day - 2007 z06 blue, low miles, $36,500. I feel I got a fair price...now that doesn't mean I didn't lose money...I just don't eat the loss like an *** and tell everyone how valuable my c6 is (is not) lol. This board is full of winners!
I agree, and I just bought a C6 zo6. If money was no object, a New C7 would be my toy, or something else.... but not a 40k car.

I have a C6 Z cause its the Baddest thing I can afford....I have other hobbies that cost to much haha.

Originally Posted by bptuner
really nice find mittens

its a sign of things to come once the dealers get over populated with c6s they will have to drop the price which will make all the private sellers drop as well I think next winter will be when I make my move but will be checking to see if I cant get one sooner
It may be a POS, as the price is VERY low, could be a scam, could be a old dude thats just wants out of it too

Last edited by mittens; 12-27-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: wtb z06 but everyone thinks they're made of gold