Notices
C6 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C6 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes

Another EBAY Scam - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Joerose10
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another EBAY Scam - FYI

Just thought I would post as an fyi -
The ebay post was pulled but he sent me an e-mail via ebay after I asked a question about his buy it now price of $30,000. This was for a 2006 Z06. I knew it wasn't legit but I must have been bored to even ask this nut a question. His e-mail stated his name was Bob but at the end he calls himself Tom. Just thought I would post as an fyi and a good laugh.

--------------------------------------------------

Hello there,

Thank you for your interest in my car. I want you to know that I closed my auction earlier because someone has offered
me the buy it now price, but didn't have all the money available and I cannot accept financing because time is a real issue for me.

My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in Germany. We brought the car with us, wanting to register it here, but I couldn't because it is a
US vehicle and to get it registered here it will need serious engine modifications in order to comply with the EU emission standards, it is
an US model (which complies with the US emission standards: DOT and EPA) and Europe regulations are different from these ones.
Also we didn't pay the duties for bringing it here and if we resell it back to US there will be no more duties to be paid. So that is why I prefer
to sell it quick now and get rid of it while I still can, because time is running and I can't keep it like that, there is a deadline term when I
must pay the import tax, so I can't afford to lose time and I prefer to make some money while I still can.

The car is like new, completely working, perfect running condition, with no hidden damages or accidents,it has always been
garage kept, low miles. It is
US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. It will be as if purchased locally.The car is insured in case of damage and you will
receive it at your door in 5 working days . It will come with all the necessary papers (clear title, bill of sale, warranty documents, user's manual, insurance etc).
The title is clear and you will register it in your state without problems. I will send the car having written on it 'gift' so you won't have to pay any additional taxes.

The shipping costs and the insurance taxes of the package will be down to me and you only pay for the money transfer commission when you wire the
funds, which is about 4% from the total amount sent. My wife works for the carrier and her employer will help us out with the shipment
(as part of her job benefits).The car is being shipped from Germany and you won't have to pay for customs or any additional taxes when it will arrive. There may
be some customs for you to pay, but if you wish we can avoid them: you'll declare you send money to a friend and I will declare the shipping as a gift/donation.

I am requesting a $2,900 refundable deposit at the begining of the shipping and the balance to be paid after delivery and inspection. If you are
not 100% content with the car you will ship it back on my expense to get your deposit back. I am sure this will not happen, because
it is a state of the art vehicle and you will have no reason not to be content with it.

This is a large purchase and I would like to use a third party for this transaction as I want a smooth and safe transaction. We will use ebay as third party.
First you will pay the downpayment to bay and the reminder you can send it directly to me or trough ebay also.Please note that ebay will hold your deposit of $2.900 until you will
confirm that you received the car and you transfered the title into your name.

If you agree with these terms, please send me your ull name, home and shipping address, ebay ID so I can register the transaction with ebay asap.

...waiting for your fast answer, Tom Mareck
Old 02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
vettewarehouse
Burning Brakes

I think it was the same guy who tried to sell me an 05 GTO for about $9000 - telling me that 1st i have to send my money - and only than I will get the car...
Some people....
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default had a similar deal last week on a 1969 GTO..whats the scam?

[QUOTE=vettewarehouse]I think it was the same guy who tried to sell me an 05 GTO for about $9000 - telling me that 1st i have to send my money - and only than I will get the car...
Some people....[/QUOTE

I got a similar letter on an ad I answered. The seller suggested I put the money in escrow.com till I received shipment. How will the seller get the money without a release from you?
Old 02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
zman3
Racer

Originally Posted by steve burns

I got a similar letter on an ad I answered. The seller suggested I put the money in escrow.com till I received shipment. How will the seller get the money without a release from you?
I have heard rumors of people sending fake links in emails to sites like escrow.com. The victim thinks they are really dealing with escrow.com but it is a fake site.

Don't know, just spreading the rumor.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 PM
warthog34
Pro

I also just recently heard of a new twist ebay scam...

You do a search and click on an auction. The page that comes up redirects you to login with your ebay user id and password. Looks like the legit ebay login page, but its a bogus site to steal your info.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
onefast99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by warthog34
I also just recently heard of a new twist ebay scam...

You do a search and click on an auction. The page that comes up redirects you to login with your ebay user id and password. Looks like the legit ebay login page, but its a bogus site to steal your info.
You are correct, this is the new way to steal. The best thing to do if someone made the mistake of entering their password is to immediately change your password. If you entered a credit card(some did) change the card asap. There was a story about this on business news last week.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Darkness
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There was another guy there last week that had an 05 vert for a buy it now of $18K, my g/f was naive enough to send a few emails back and forth to him. He was supposedely from NJ but the car was in Hungry and she couldnt even call him because he was in an army base somewhere!!! lol
Old 02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
bhvette97
Instructor

This guy want me to send him my personal info. in or to make a transaction. I reported it to ebay and they responed saying not to purchase or send any money to the seller. Didn't plan on it, the seller is no longer a member.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Unfortunately he didn't mention the car is in Zarie and you have to personally pick it up!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Jagcvette
Melting Slicks

Creative story though.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM
bhvette97
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jagcvette
Creative story though.
This is the email I just recieved from ebay.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay with your concerns.

I'm writing to let you know that the item you were interested in has
been ended early by eBay. All bids and best offers have been canceled.
We've done this because it appears that the seller's account has been
taken over by an unauthorized person. The seller's privileges to trade
on eBay might be suspended temporarily while we investigate this matter
further.

***Important***

If you haven't sent payment yet, please don't.

If the seller, or someone claiming to be the seller, contacts you to
complete a transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you
ignore the request. Any such transaction would not be covered by eBay's
Vehicle Purchase Protection program.

What to do if you have already sent payment:

- If you paid by personal check, contact your bank to stop payment on
the check.

- If you paid with a credit card, you should contact your credit card
company's security department right away to inform them of the
potential
problem. Most companies provide consumer protection in these
circumstances.

- If you paid by money order or wire transfer, contact the company for
further information by calling 1-800-325-6000 (Western Union) or
1-800-926-9400 (MoneyGram).

I want to emphasize that we don't have any definite information about
the seller or the items at this time. It's possible that our difficulty
confirming information about the seller is due to a mistake or a
misunderstanding.

To learn more about how you are protected while making purchases on the
Internet, go to:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidenc...uyer-tips.html

Again, thank you for taking the time to write to eBay's Trust and
Safety
department. I appreciate your continued help in keeping eBay a safe and
fair place to trade.

Regards,

Parkin
eBay Motors
Trust & Safety
Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
RetPig
Intermediate

I got a very similiar e-mail about a 2003 Harley that I inquired about on ebay that had a buy it now price of $8,000. Before I got my e-mail reply back it was pulled from e-bay.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I saw one where the fool said he HAD to get overseas to see his sick mommy. His 2005 Corvette was mine for "only" $30,000. I told him to give mommy my best.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:43 PM
mcronec5
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In VII Veteran

If its too good to be true, it is most definitely is a scam.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Casturtroy
Advanced

I saw the same exact ad for a 2006 Vert. I also asked a question, and was told the transaction would be secure on escrow.com. Never had any intention to buy the car. Hope no one has been scammed.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Crocodile Dave
Instructor

You'll see this crap on Craigslists also- deals just too good to be true.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 PM
dexter
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joerose10
The car is insured in case of damage and you will
receive it at your door in 5 working days.
NFW that a car can be shipped from Germany to the US in 5 days.

The scammers are getting better and better, but it's still rare to see one that's completely believable.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:32 PM
mombrj715
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Darkness
There was another guy there last week that had an 05 vert for a buy it now of $18K, my g/f was naive enough to send a few emails back and forth to him. He was supposedely from NJ but the car was in Hungry and she couldnt even call him because he was in an army base somewhere!!! lol

Interesting.. months ago we were shopping for our 'vette and ran across a similar ad on ebay. He was stationed in Englad blah, blah, blah, and since my husband is in the Army and I have friends all OVER is emailed an suggested someone I know check it out and BAM listing pulled. I reported it to ebay and have no idea what happened. The schemes people come up with today! WOW!

Get notified of new replies

To Another EBAY Scam - FYI

Quick Reply: Another EBAY Scam - FYI