Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Clear Bra Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:26 AM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clear Bra Suggestions

Hey guys have a question about the most popular coverage options you have used on ZR's. I don't have a ZR-1 but instead have a Carbon Z which of course has the front splitter, and side skirts. I have agonized over how much coverage is enough and how much coverage is too much. Obviously you can cover just about the whole car but I'm not sure that is really needed. I'm curious from your experiences, what is enough and what is a bit over the top. I'm thinking of covering the nose, and splitter. I also know the front fender behind the wheel is a spot that needs protection. I'm curious if covering only the area behind the wheel is enough or is covering the entire fender the better option? Then we get to the rockers, skirts, door areas in danger, and of course the most notorious area for chips in front of the rear wheels. As I start to look at all of these areas it starts to get to the point that to avoid lines your end up with the entire car covered except the rear end, roof/halo, and hatch. I realize I left the hood out of this which is also another area that is covered. I've never had any chips on my hood. I guess just lucky, or am I. Is it really needed? Of course when you get to hood there is the partial or full coverage...LOL

Anyway just looking for opinions based on your experiences.

Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Nick 02 Z06
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My ZR1 is black so, I decided to have the entire front, rockers, mirror shells, doors, and up to the center of the rear quarters covered in Expel. I didn't have the splitter or the halo done. I'm very happy with it. When I had my Z06, I was driving it down the road and a rock flew up and hit the side of the door when it only had 60 or so miles on the clock. I had the doors covered the very next day… While the coverage I have is probably a little more than it needs, it is worth it to me, to not have to worry….
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the entire car covered in XPEL. Never looked back.

Cheers
Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cdavekirk
Hey guys have a question about the most popular coverage options you have used on ZR's. I don't have a ZR-1 but instead have a Carbon Z which of course has the front splitter, and side skirts. I have agonized over how much coverage is enough and how much coverage is too much. Obviously you can cover just about the whole car but I'm not sure that is really needed. I'm curious from your experiences, what is enough and what is a bit over the top. I'm thinking of covering the nose, and splitter. I also know the front fender behind the wheel is a spot that needs protection. I'm curious if covering only the area behind the wheel is enough or is covering the entire fender the better option? Then we get to the rockers, skirts, door areas in danger, and of course the most notorious area for chips in front of the rear wheels. As I start to look at all of these areas it starts to get to the point that to avoid lines your end up with the entire car covered except the rear end, roof/halo, and hatch. I realize I left the hood out of this which is also another area that is covered. I've never had any chips on my hood. I guess just lucky, or am I. Is it really needed? Of course when you get to hood there is the partial or full coverage...LOL

Anyway just looking for opinions based on your experiences.

Thanks!!
Do you track your car?
If so and you run in the group where guys have R compounds or slicks your car will be COVERED with rubber at the end of the day.
In that case I would do the front bumper, hood, front fenders and mirrors. Tons of rubber on the windshield too.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:03 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I did the whole car with the exception of the doors (don't ask me why I stopped at the doors)..
Used a self healing film by Suntek. Its so clear you can't tell it's there.

I would highly recommend, just an overall amazing mod.
I actually drive my cars and have about 52k miles on the ZR now.

It's huge for protection - a couple of years ago I ran into a sandstorm driving through Arizona. .
At the time of the sandstorm I only had my front bumper, headlights and half of my hood and fenders.

The sandstorm destroyed my windshield and everything not covered by the clear bra.
When we removed the clear bra - underneath was perfect!

Another huge benefit is maintenance - you don't have to worry about swirls, fine scratches etc.. As the film is self healing.
When I'm in a rush - I'll dust the car and detail spray it down. . I would never be able to get away with that directly on the paint.

I used to cringe when I'd hear rocks popping up and hiring the fenders - now, I'm like whatever..

I used to be a hater (due to the cost).. Now I kick myself looking back.

gl
Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 AM
McRat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clear bra + clear t-shirt = Win.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Entire car including splitters, side skirts, mirrors, cf splash lips which I added.. except roof and rear deck..just do it..protect your investment..

Old 08-17-2014, 07:45 AM
cruzc5frc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballbearingturbo
I have the entire car covered in XPEL. Never looked back.

Cheers
did the exact same and also never looked back
Old 08-17-2014, 10:36 AM
WB6HRO
Racer

I did front end and 1/2 the hood as well as in front of rear tire well.

Now what I didn't do was the windshield and after 40,000 miles the windshield is pretty pitted. I just got a C7 and did the windshield this time it was $400 for windshield.

Experience is a cruel teacher! LOL

Joe
Old 08-17-2014, 11:12 AM
cdavekirk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys! I appreciate your input! I'm going to check on pricing tomorrow. I'm leaning towards complete coverage...
Old 08-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Don't forget the lights, fogs and mirrors..
Old 08-19-2014, 11:43 PM
McRat
Instructor

Screw it. It's a hotrod. When the paint gets nasty, get custom.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I did everything OP and Nick did and love it. I too don't sweat driving around other cars or hearing rocks sounds anymore. I wholly recommend Skip at Protective Film Technologies. He is in Arlington but does jobs in DC and MD. If you can get close for a day, tell him you want the Carbon edition package which includes the splitter, entire hood, sideskirts, and lower doors in addition to the typical stuff. I got it done April 2013.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra Suggestions

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Clear Bra Suggestions