Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Modded Intercooler Bricks

Old 07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick@Straightline
Torqer
thanks again for the feedback and detailed pics of the good and bad!! As I and others stated it will help to make things better. I also don't have a problem getting you a new one if you want to send that back when you have some down time!! Would it be better with the bleed valve in a different location maybe? Thanks again for your input and I will do my best to resolve the problem!!
Hey thanks for the reply Nick. At this point I really dont have much choice, it is not going to fit unless I remove the light and that is no going to happen. I can send the tank back with detailed measurements that should put it spot on or you can just make me another one and get it shipped out if you like. I am already out an overnight and second day air on this deal $300 ish in shipping alone. I hope you will help out on the shipping to speed up my cars down time and problems I have had.

Last edited by cheet_code; 07-27-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Nick@Straightline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you would like I can call you tomorrow so me you and Joe the fabricator can all be on the same page!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBADESTZ
Wow...
As I can remember I was doing testing then and garden hose was to try it....
You had a write-up on how to modify your hoses to incorporate the hose fittings, a little research and you would of found the fitting to properly fill the system.

I simply posted my writeup to help Torquer get his system filled. Sorry for sharing some information.

atleast I share what I find good or bad.
You do a lot of data gathering, maybe you should share some more that that?

I will make sure I don't send anymore people your way.....
I was unaware you were sending people my way, you neglected to mention anyone you sent to me and your name was never mentioned when people come to me.

And If memory serves me right we were modding intercooler bricks then some people gotta jump on the wagon
It's more convient for my customers to ship the entire blower assembly with the bricks in the blower than shipping a bunch of pieces to different places.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5kid@RKT56
You had a write-up on how to modify your hoses to incorporate the hose fittings, a little research and you would of found the fitting to properly fill the system.

I simply posted my writeup to help Torquer get his system filled. Sorry for sharing some information.

You do a lot of data gathering, maybe you should share some more that that?

I was unaware you were sending people my way, you neglected to mention anyone you sent to me and your name was never mentioned when people come to me.

It's more convient for my customers to ship the entire blower assembly with the bricks in the blower than shipping a bunch of pieces to different places.
Please do not distort the thread by arguing with another member on it. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I went ahead and completely bolted it all together just to make sure it didn't straighten it all up and align up.

It was actually off quite a bit more after I bolted everything tight.

Just another shot of the kit. You can see from here how nice it does tuck up in there. Once we get it to fit correctly this extra gallon or so of coolant / water should be really nice for heat removal.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:40 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torqer

I went ahead and completely bolted it all together just to make sure it didn't straighten it all up and align up.

It was actually off quite a bit more after I bolted everything tight.

Just another shot of the kit. You can see from here how nice it does tuck up in there. Once we get it to fit correctly this extra gallon or so of coolant / water should be really nice for heat removal.
You can see from the second picture that the tank itself cannot go any higher. On the left it hits the light and on the right it hits the body. If the top bracket was 13 mm or so higher that would be great. Then a little adjustment for the hole to line up with the stud and its a home run.

Last edited by cheet_code; 07-27-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Nick@Straightline
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

You can see from the second picture that the tank itself cannot go any higher. On the left it hits the light and on the right it hits the body. If the top bracket was 13 mm or so higher that would be great. Then a little adjustment for the hole to line up with the stud and its a home run.
Great info!! Thanks for helping us get better! Sorry for the inconvienence
Old 07-27-2014, 08:44 PM
Rob.Laurie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sent PM's and telephone calls and nobody has returned my messages.
I know what you mean, I've been trying to get a heat exchanger/reservoir kit for weeks now, but despite pm's to both Nick & Drew, phone calls to Straightline & info requests on their website's contact page I'm still no further ahead.

I also inquired about brick mods a few months back with the same result.

Glad to see they are working with you on your installation troubles.
Hope it all works out.

Cheers,
Rob

Last edited by Rob.Laurie; 07-27-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM
Nick@Straightline
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Rob.Laurie
I know what you mean, I've been trying to get a heat exchanger/reservoir kit for weeks now, but despite pm's to both Nick & Drew, phone calls to Straightline & info requests on their website's contact page I'm still no further ahead.

I also inquired about brick mods a few months back with the same result.

Glad to see they are working with you on your installation troubles.
Hope it all works out.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
I talked to you on the phone and explained when we receive the Magnusson heat exchangers you were in line for a full kit like dress car. That hasn't changed. Now with the info from torqer we will modify the expansion tank for better fitment.

We have everything in stock except for the heat exchanger and your pms were responded to. So I have talked to you and pmed you.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Rob.Laurie
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick@Straightline
Rob
I talked to you on the phone and explained when we receive the Magnusson heat exchangers you were in line for a full kit like dress car. That hasn't changed. Now with the info from torqer we will modify the expansion tank for better fitment.

We have everything in stock except for the heat exchanger and your pms were responded to. So I have talked to you and pmed you.
Sounds good, look forward to hearing from you when it's ready to go.

Was just sympathising with torqer as you guys are a little hard to get a response from is all.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Nick@Straightline
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Rob.Laurie
Sounds good, look forward to hearing from you when it's ready to go.

Was just sympathising with torqer as you guys are a little hard to get a response from is all.
Sounds good rob!!! Just making sure I didn't miss a call from you. Sometimes it is hard for the shop when people call after you are closed at night or on the weekend when we are not open. Not an excuse but a forum is 24/7 shops do close. Its my responsibility to stay on top of things. But I also don't expect or require my employee's to be on the forum when they are off the clock. Again this whole experience can only make us better to help with quality control and to help all of you build some badass cars!!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 AM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have put in quite a few of these and I know light is close...

Try this once...

Twist light bulb out..... install tank on upper bolt....then put light socket back in.....
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have put in quite a few of these and I know light is close...

Try this once...

Twist light bulb out..... install tank on upper bolt....then put light socket back in.....
HAHA......Thanks for the advice Drew you are a hell of a nice guy and seem to really care about this problem. I can see from just looking at the tank you pictured, it is much different from mine. The location of the petcock & mounting bracket on your tank is miles away from where mine sits, your tank also looks much more squared up. Thanks for the advice and telephone calls I have received from you during this whole mess. I hope Nick calls me this morning and takes care of the problem.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM
enufpwr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW-- Sorry to hear you are having an issue. I guess your tank is slightly off and something must have happened during the manufacturing of the last batch of tanks or just your tank.

Sometimes parts do not fit perfectly and I believe Nick is trying to make things right from what I read below and improve the quality control and fitment issues.

I had a different experience I wanted to share---

Nick was really helpful to me when I first ordered my expansion tank. I'm glad Straightline decided to make this part period for the ZR1. I asked other vendors and nobody locally would even touch it. They all turned me down or the cost was triple.

The brick mod was done by Straightline and came out perfect. At that time 3 months ago the bricks were on national backorder, but I guess they are available now. So I understand why he had a hard time getting spare bricks.... I was told by numerous dealers the same thing.

That tank you have is slightly different than the one I received. I guess it's version #2 or updated. I had mine for the past few months and I think I have the version 1--- when they first came out with the expansion tank. Mine fit perfect without issues. I don't have the air bleed valve on mine, but I'm happy with the fitment and results. Wish I had the bleed valve, but mine was version 1 when they were just developing this expansion tank.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-do-mod-6.html
Post 114 shows the pics of the tank I have.. JC13ZR1 posted some good pictures of the fitment.

I had nothing but good things with my expansion tank and it's helped reduce my IAT2 temps drastically.

Drew has been really helpful to everyone and doesn't work for straightline to my knowledge. He's helped me a ton with the expansion tank setup, HE routing, brick mod, ECU calibration and other things every time I had an issue. Such a nice helpful guy!!!!

Anyways--- I hope they take care of you and get your tank fitment issues resolved. I just wanted to post up that I was one of the lucky few that had no issues with my tank setup.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I spoke with Nick this morning. I sent the tank back to him and he is going to make me a new one. I guess he is going to try and test fit it on another car to make sure it fits.

I visited the thread you posted and he also had to remove his marker light to get the tank to fit. It seems some have to and some do not.

Drew has been helping along as well. He seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole deal.

Glad to hear your IAT temps have dropped and it works. What a great idea the whole deal is.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

now we just need to get nick to make some of the cnc peices that go through the blower lid into the bricks so we can run individual coolers for each brick ;D
Old 07-28-2014, 03:58 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Here was my rough hand sketch of the line routing when I hooked mine up if anyone feels it helps. Only thing I have wrong in the pic is the line with the vent is not the correct one (that hooks into the intercooler up top), I have it backwards. The routing is correct, but the line with the vent is on the other side

Get notified of new replies

To Modded Intercooler Bricks

Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Tim Taylor
Instructor

Where is torquers last post?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:09 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Tim Taylor
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...ensorship.html
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
cheet_code
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tim Taylor
At this point there has been so many issues with this deal I give up. I deleted the post. When all the dust settles I will post up a final of how it was handled, if it fits and what my IAT's are like before and after.

Last edited by cheet_code; 07-31-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Modded Intercooler Bricks