Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] My build with RHX Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 02:45 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My build with RHX Tuning (RIP) and D3PE

Well I have been creeping around the forum taking notes from other builds and it is finally time for my own! Really appreciate all the help from everyone here especially ZBADESTZ and ace32x. And Robbie at RHX has helped me understand a lot of things as well.

Current mods:
Kooks 1 7/8in long tube headers with catted midpipe and tune
589whp 562wtq

Forgeline GA1R wheels wrapped in Toyo R888's thanks to Gerry at wheels for less!

Parts list:
MAST Black Label heads ported by LME
Custom grind Lunati Cam
Nitrous Outlet blower plate (rest of the nitrous setup later on)
McLeod RXT clutch
ARP head studs, cam bolts, and crank bolt
Morel Warhawk 5274 lifters
PRC valve spring kit
Moroso air/oil separator
Lingenfelter CAI
Lingenfelter ported snout
ATI 14% overdrive and 2.3 upper pulley
ID1300 injectors
LS2 dogbone chain tensioner
C5R chain set
NGK BR7EF plugs
Magnuson heat exchanger
Intercooler brick mod by Straightline
Straightline expansion tank
MGW short throw shifter
Dashlogic
and a custom RHX tune

Managed to get a little popular on the drive to drop the car off .

See that Silverado on the lift? Well it has a big turbo and a LSX . Look up Gray Ghost on facebook for more info on it.

Tear down begins. Mostly finished Gray Ghost in the background.

And that is where we are at now, I'll try to keep the thread updated as the build goes on!

3/31/2015 UPDATE

I have been slacking big time on the updates, here is the extra parts Robbie installed after the original parts list up there.
Extreme blower and snout porting to match 102 TB by GKZR1
NW102 TB
Custom 5in intake
Nitrous Outlet dual billet bottle bracket with 2 15lb bottles and standalone fuel cell
All the nitrous wiring
Another catch can for overflow
APR carbon diffuser and spoiler
LG ZR1 front splitter
Probably forgot some stuff.

After all that we took the car to Houston for TX2K15 to have some fun! Sadly that didn't quite go as planned... The car was very unhappy about going into gears, reverse synchro was fried as well. But it still held together I just had to shift very slowly to make sure it went in gear. Had a good time at the roll race trapped 163.8 on a 150 shot. Then went to Mexico and had some fun with some pretty cool cars! Then it rained all day Saturday and that was not the bad news. Saturday night Robbie Hatcher the builder and tuner of the car since it just had long tubes and a tune took his own life... I don't think anyone expected it, in fact I didn't really believe it until we got to the hospital where Robbie was getting emergency surgery. The surgeons did all they could but unfortunately there was no way for him to be the Robbie we all knew again. Back on topic of the car, I had talked with David at D3 a little bit about their ProEFI system before all of this and was considering taking the car to them to have that installed and tuned. We talked to David before we left Houston to see if we could leave the car there then instead of making the long 1300+ mile drive to drop the car off at a later date. Thankfully they took the car in and we decided to go ahead with installing some new goodies and fixing the new found issues. Here is the parts D3 is adding now.

ProEFI system and tune plus nitrous pressure sensor, flex fuel sensor and display logger
FORE level 4 fuel system set up for Ethanol capability
BTR stage 3 cam
RPM Level 7 transmission
RPM built diff (unsure on exact specs)
Mantic triple disc clutch
LMR motor mounts

Here is the new thread I have made about the latest changes being made by D3 Performance Engineering:

Last edited by SquirrelyNutz; 04-01-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:41 AM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice....gonna be some big numbers coming from it.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle body?
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Love it! Wheels in tinted clear coat is a good choice!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:05 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Originally Posted by Ballbearingturbo
Throttle body?
Planned on staying stock. Will it make that big of a difference?

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Love it! Wheels in tinted clear coat is a good choice!
Thanks! I agree.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Originally Posted by SquirrelyNutz
Planned on staying stock. Will it make that big of a difference?
HUGE difference. Everyone sees gains just from a 102mm TB. The 108mm shows the most gains, but pricey. Also the LPE intake is to small. Myself and a couple others have went to a bigger intake 4.5" or 5" and have had big increases in power.

You could keep it all stock and just leave the LPE intake. But at least get a 102mm TB.

I have a 5" intake and 108mm setup. RCC has a 4.5" intake and a 108mm setup. So far himself and I have the highest horsepower blower only zr1s.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

HUGE difference. Everyone sees gains just from a 102mm TB. The 108mm shows the most gains, but pricey. Also the LPE intake is to small. Myself and a couple others have went to a bigger intake 4.5" or 5" and have had big increases in power.

You could keep it all stock and just leave the LPE intake. But at least get a 102mm TB.

I have a 5" intake and 108mm setup. RCC has a 4.5" intake and a 108mm setup. So far himself and I have the highest horsepower blower only zr1s.
Hmm, well any way I can get a hold of a 5" intake like yours? Also pm me some links or prices on both intake and TB if you can.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Hmm, well any way I can get a hold of a 5" intake like yours? Also pm me some links or prices on both intake and TB if you can.
As far as I know RCC's intake was custom made from his shop. As well as the one I'm using. Cost me about 800 bucks with filter.

The TBs. You can get both 102mm or a 108mm from WeaponXMotorsports. Look them up online. The 108mm is made by one company only, Southways and it's about $1600 bucks. I'm not totally sure on the prices for the 102s but there are two manufactures, NW and TPIS. Both are same price I think around 500-800$.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

As far as I know RCC's intake was custom made from his shop. As well as the one I'm using. Cost me about 800 bucks with filter.

The TBs. You can get both 102mm or a 108mm from WeaponXMotorsports. Look them up online. The 108mm is made by one company only, Southways and it's about $1600 bucks. I'm not totally sure on the prices for the 102s but there are two manufactures, NW and TPIS. Both are same price I think around 500-800$.
Thanks I found it. Not sure about the $1600 for a throttle body. Do you have any numbers of before and after?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Thanks I found it. Not sure about the $1600 for a throttle body. Do you have any numbers of before and after?
I don't have any paper work. But I remember my results were about 50+\- rwhp/torque and about 1.5-2+\- psi from larger intake and 108mm TB. I started with LPE intake and a ported ls7 TB, which is about 90mm.

The car reacts completely different with the larger intake and TB. Night and day difference in the seat.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:35 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

I don't have any paper work. But I remember my results were about 50+\- rwhp/torque and about 1.5-2+\- psi from larger intake and 108mm TB. I started with LPE intake and a ported ls7 TB, which is about 90mm.

The car reacts completely different with the larger intake and TB. Night and day difference in the seat.
Wow, can't believe I never even knew any of that! Thanks. I will look into it some more.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Ballbearingturbo
Pro

Wow, can't believe I never even knew any of that! Thanks. I will look into it some more.
Tons of threads on bigger TB and I takes for our cars. RCC has a nice build thread and I've made some threads for discussion.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 AM
RHX Tuning Lab
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Just wanted to touch base on the thread here. I'm the owner/operator/facilitator of my small shop that Jacks car is at. Last night I made quite a bit more progress on the tear down, all that's really left is to get the steering rack out of the way to remove the balancer and yank the heads. This has been a fun project so far, and I like working on C6's because they come apart so easy, especially compared to CTS-V's I've done.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Figured I would give you all an update since I have not been doing a very good job at that. Making some good progress mostly getting held back by waiting for parts! Here are some pictures.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
ZBADESTZ@Straightline
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Christmas in July
Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep em comin
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Thanks to GM inside for posting up some pictures and information on the car!

http://www.gminside.com/2011-corvette-zr1-build/

Get notified of new replies

To My build with RHX Tuning

Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 AM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

More pictures and more progress! Ran into a little issue from the header install done by another shop. A clutch fluid line was touching the headers and had a hole burnt in it and had dumped out some clutch fluid. So we will have to replace that. So far I am very happy with my experience at RHX. He treats my car as if it's his own and keeps me informed on what's going on!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM
ace32x
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

jealous of those heads! as far as the tb i woud just go with a 102 unless you want to spend the big bucks for the 108. im running same pulley combo with a port matched 102 snout and tb and its seeing 21.8 lbs here in washington with the good air. also on a 4" intake. just scooped up the same intake ballbearing is running from gman here on the board going to see what kinda gains there on that.

going from the lightly ported snout and a ls7 ported tb i was making out around 16-17 lbs even with the upper and lower pullies. soon as i port matched the snout and went to a 102 it picked up almost 4 lbs (peaks 21.8 now)

my cf5 forgestars have r888s on them aswell impressed with how well they hook up and handle with the power mines putting down

Last edited by ace32x; 07-25-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:32 PM
SquirrelyNutz
Racer

Originally Posted by ace32x
jealous of those heads! as far as the tb i woud just go with a 102 unless you want to spend the big bucks for the 108. im running same pulley combo with a port matched 102 snout and tb and its seeing 21.8 lbs here in washington with the good air. also on a 4" intake. just scooped up the same intake ballbearing is running from gman here on the board going to see what kinda gains there on that.

going from the lightly ported snout and a ls7 ported tb i was making out around 16-17 lbs even with the upper and lower pullies. soon as i port matched the snout and went to a 102 it picked up almost 4 lbs (peaks 21.8 now)
Wow that is some pretty huge gains. Sadly we will not have time to add a TB right now. On a really tight schedule. Might add a TB and bigger intake when the nitrous is put on though.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] My build with RHX Tuning