Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1's at Spring Mountain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Default ZR1's at Spring Mountain.

I was there last week and one of the instructors mentioned that GM will be taking the cars away pretty soon (June maybe, he said, if I remember correctly). If you still have a class voucher for a ZR1 that you purchased new and haven't called SM to schedule it, you may want to do that. It sort of sounded like as long as there were customers scheduled, the cars would stay on site for a reasonable amount of time.

Call Donna over there to make sure this info is correct and to at least get something scheduled while the cars are still available. It would be a shame to procrastinate and then miss the opportunity to take the class in the Z. The C7s are good on the track, but it's just not the same.

Joe

Edit: Also, if you own a ZR1 but weren't eligible for the voucher (ex. second owner), you can still pay for the class and drive the Z. There was someone in the class (Terry S.) who did just that and had a blast. As always, the facility & the staff there are outstanding!

Last edited by jft69z; 04-26-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Joe,

How was the class?
Any pics? Did you try the C7?
Also,how was your ExoticsRacing experience?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Joe,

How was the class?
Any pics? Did you try the C7?
Also,how was your ExoticsRacing experience?
Kevin, the class was great, learned a lot, & the instructors were awesome as always. Drove a C7 for one of the sessions but for the most part stayed in the Z. C7 was nice, seats were pretty snug, (both the standard seats & the competition ones). Pedal placement is better for heel/toe shifting, but not that bad in the Z either, so no big deal. Obviously the car has less power than the Z, but that will be fixed with the new Z06. It still gets around the track very well though.

The other ZR1 owner & I both agreed though that we prefer owning/driving the Z over the C7 (at least for now). The instructors all seem to like the new platform but also agree that the ZR1 is a beast...

Exotics was a blast, thanks for the idea to do it! I was lucky enough to hook up with an instructor from SM that also works at Exotics. He stayed with me thru all 6 cars and that made the entire experience that much better. Otherwise you would have to explain to each different instructor (they ride along with you, for those who don't know about the place) you have a little experience in a high-perf car.

In my case we basically just hit the ground running as I was with Ian all week long in the 3 day ZR1 & the 1 day CTS-V class. He was with a father/son that were taking the V class while I was with Matt, but we all worked together once the cars were on the track. (thanks Matt for teaching me how to get that big pig around the corners!). Thank you Ian!!!

Dollar for dollar you can't beat a ZR1 for performance though. The Aventador & the 458 were a blast to drive, but pricey to buy. The McLaren was broke so I couldn't drive it, that was a major disappointment. The rest of the cars I drove were fun to drive but not like a Z.

Your car out of storage yet?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

good report, Joe...thanks for sharing this information !
Old 04-27-2014, 09:50 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jft69z
Kevin, the class was great, learned a lot, & the instructors were awesome as always. Drove a C7 for one of the sessions but for the most part stayed in the Z. C7 was nice, seats were pretty snug, (both the standard seats & the competition ones). Pedal placement is better for heel/toe shifting, but not that bad in the Z either, so no big deal. Obviously the car has less power than the Z, but that will be fixed with the new Z06. It still gets around the track very well though.

The other ZR1 owner & I both agreed though that we prefer owning/driving the Z over the C7 (at least for now). The instructors all seem to like the new platform but also agree that the ZR1 is a beast...

Exotics was a blast, thanks for the idea to do it! I was lucky enough to hook up with an instructor from SM that also works at Exotics. He stayed with me thru all 6 cars and that made the entire experience that much better. Otherwise you would have to explain to each different instructor (they ride along with you, for those who don't know about the place) you have a little experience in a high-perf car.

In my case we basically just hit the ground running as I was with Ian all week long in the 3 day ZR1 & the 1 day CTS-V class. He was with a father/son that were taking the V class while I was with Matt, but we all worked together once the cars were on the track. (thanks Matt for teaching me how to get that big pig around the corners!). Thank you Ian!!!

Dollar for dollar you can't beat a ZR1 for performance though. The Aventador & the 458 were a blast to drive, but pricey to buy. The McLaren was broke so I couldn't drive it, that was a major disappointment. The rest of the cars I drove were fun to drive but not like a Z.

Your car out of storage yet?
^^Yep...up to Caravaggio's tomorrow
Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 AM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just signed up for the ZR1 class in October over Labor Day and they already charged a deposit. I'm not the original owner and am footing the entire bill unfortunately. I asked twice and was told by Melinda that the class was still offered that late in the year, although the website isn't showing any ZR1 classes past July 2nd I think.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1's at Spring Mountain.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1's at Spring Mountain.