Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Occasional Easy Track Use Brake Fluid Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:38 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Occasional Easy Track Use Brake Fluid Question

I plan on doing a 1-2 events a year in my Z07, and won't push the car hard. I am more interested in getting a fluid that I don't have to change for a while (like 2 years), not one that will see 1000 degrees.

My research shows that Castrol SRF goes the longest between changes, so even though it's overkill, I'm leaning that way.

Is there a more affordable fluid with a long interval that will meet my needs now?

Is it catastrophic if fluid gets on the ceramic rotors?

Can I have the dealer flush the system (for the ABS) with a cheaper DOT 4, then follow up with a bottle of SRF? I don't want to waste a bottle just to flush it only to have to pour another bottle in there.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Do SRF. You won't be disappointed. Even if it's $50/more a bottle, it's good peace of mind. I have SRF and love it. It's dramatically better than Motul 600 which I used for years.

Don't get brake fluid on anything as a general rule. Rotors don't like anything except soap and water to be safe.

If you suck out the old fluid from the master cylinder, you should be able to do a full flush on a 1L bottle of SRF presuming they do it right.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
valet_devil
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. So is the consensus that one liter of SRF will last two years with light (5 easy HPDEs)?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by valet_devil
Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. So is the consensus that one liter of SRF will last two years with light (5 easy HPDEs)?
just had mine done today--definitely needed the second bottle of SRF--glad I ordered two
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I did 2 days at road atlanta and my SRF fluid was fine at the end. Looked a touch golden compared to out of the bottle but was still good.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:23 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Need to correct my first statement. I do think the shop used two bottles of SRF the first time to make sure there was a complete flush At that point, you'll probably need to flush the fluid every two years (at your HPDE rate) with just one bottle. SRF holds up WAY better than Motul 600 and pretty much any other brake fluid on the market. With the kind of heat and speeds the ZR1 can generate, it's very smart money to go ahead and put SRF in the car if you're going to be tracking it at all.

I ran Motul 600 with great success in my '01 C5 and '08 LS3 Z51 C6, but the ZR1 is just too fast with too much heat for the Motul 600. If you're not getting serious brake fade on Motul 600 with the ZR1 on the track, you're not driving hard enough.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I get my SRF off of Amazon for right at 63 bucks a liter. I used more than 1 bottle when I switched to it. Use the left over amount for your clutch.
I get a chuckle out of the guys doing brake bleeds in between sessions, hem hawwin' about how "this sucks and no there is nothing wrong with my ate super blue" lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by phipp85
I get my SRF off of Amazon for right at 63 bucks a liter. I used more than 1 bottle when I switched to it. Use the left over amount for your clutch.
I get a chuckle out of the guys doing brake bleeds in between sessions, hem hawwin' about how "this sucks and no there is nothing wrong with my ate super blue" lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Occasional Easy Track Use Brake Fluid Question

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Occasional Easy Track Use Brake Fluid Question