Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] My drag strip experience this past Saturday

Old 04-15-2014, 08:12 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Kyle where is mir located?
Nelson007

I remember now , its at Budds Creek i use to race dirt bike there.

Originally Posted by Kyle Lemish
I used to run my 95 at Mason Dixon years ago too. I would never even attempt to run a ZR1 on stock tires at that track, Im very hesitant to take mine there on the DR's. It is only an hour and 20 min away from me, and mir is over double the drive time. But well worth it!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:33 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson007
The first 6 runs i set the air for 25. Than checked the air afterwards and it went up to 27. I than adjusted the air to 22. I don't think it made much of a difference. I am going to order a set of wheels from ccw and get the tires Whatcop recommended. Hopefully that should solve my problem. What surprised me the most was the launch control did not work well on the strip but works great on the regular state roads Thanks,
Nelson007
22 might be to low, but it might just be a poor track. I have an '09 so no launch control, but everyone who has tried it at the dragstrip has said that it does not work well. Many complain of wheel hop using it. The best times and launches in the ZR1 have come with no launch control.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

what rpm range do you use for a launch without drag radial?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You can go to the dealer to get rotor protectors, but a much cheaper substitute is foam pipe insulator. When I bought my 2010 ZR1 used, the orginal rotor protectors were not with the car I had to get something before putting on the other wheels with my drag radials, so a quick stop at Home Depot took care of it.

Even with protection, you should still be careful (like what my dad said to me in high school. )
When you unseat the wheel off the axle pad, don't let it fall down on the rotor. Use your arm strength to try and hold it up and pull it straight towards you without crashing down on the rotor. If you think the wheels are too heavy, put a block of wood under the tire so the wheel maintains the same height as you pull it off.

This shot is just a quickie the first time I used the pipe insulation. I've since refined the technique so it doesn't look as crude, but doesn't really matter. Effectiveness is what counts.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello Al,
I floor the gas pedal and it goes to approximately, 4500 and settles around 3700.
That when i pop the clutch. It works great on a concrete road with a little wheel hop, but at the track it just spins.
Nelson007

Originally Posted by Al3x_666
what rpm range do you use for a launch without drag radial?

Last edited by nelson007; 04-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks TWS that is really helpful using the pipe insulation. I have a bad shoulder so that board technique is fantastic it saves me from calling my son all the time.
Nelson097

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
You can go to the dealer to get rotor protectors, but a much cheaper substitute is foam pipe insulator. When I bought my 2010 ZR1 used, the orginal rotor protectors were not with the car I had to get something before putting on the other wheels with my drag radials, so a quick stop at Home Depot took care of it.

Even with protection, you should still be careful (like what my dad said to me in high school. )
When you unseat the wheel off the axle pad, don't let it fall down on the rotor. Use your arm strength to try and hold it up and pull it straight towards you without crashing down on the rotor. If you think the wheels are too heavy, put a block of wood under the tire so the wheel maintains the same height as you pull it off.

This shot is just a quickie the first time I used the pipe insulation. I've since refined the technique so it doesn't look as crude, but doesn't really matter. Effectiveness is what counts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] My drag strip experience this past Saturday