Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Launch control question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Launch control question

Going to the drag strip this weekend. This will be my first time to try the launch control in my car. My question is, what is the best performance mode to be in when I do it?
Any other tips or help will be apreciated.
Thanks,
Nelson007
Old 04-09-2014, 11:59 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...h-control.html
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

The best mode is completely off. But if you haven't done it before, put it in level 4. Then if comfortable... go to level 5.

Here are a couple interesting facts I don't think are commonly known or shared.

To use 'launch control' you do not have to floor the car, and launch it... just double click the TC and put into mode 4 or 5... then launch at any RPM you want, and it will not allow the tires to spin.

Also, you do not have to leave the car 'floored' to remain in TC mode... as long as you're in LC4 or LC5... it will work the same as staying floored.

Good luck and have fun.

PS I also use this mode when playing around on the street, if someone wanting to toy with you... just move to level 4 or level 5... and it will modulate the air/fuel to give maximum acceleration with limited wheel spin.

Peace,
Dave
Old 04-10-2014, 07:29 AM
enufpwr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Schotz
The best mode is completely off. But if you haven't done it before, put it in level 4. Then if comfortable... go to level 5.

To use 'launch control' you do not have to floor the car, and launch it... just double click the TC and put into mode 4 or 5... then launch at any RPM you want, and it will not allow the tires to spin.

Also, you do not have to leave the car 'floored' to remain in TC mode... as long as you're in LC4 or LC5... it will work the same as staying floored.

Good luck and have fun.

PS I also use this mode when playing around on the street, if someone wanting to toy with you... just move to level 4 or level 5... and it will modulate the air/fuel to give maximum acceleration with limited wheel spin.

Peace,
Dave
WOW-- Good info

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by enufpwr; 04-10-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dave that really helps. The club rents the track twice a year. Last fall i used my 95 ZR1 and was not able to get very good traction at all.
When mentioned best mode would be completely off, i tried that on the street and all i do is spin. By the way i have the ps2 on the car.
Thanks Again,
Nelson007

Good luck and have fun.

Peace,
Dave
Old 04-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Dave Schotz
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

PS2's will 'just spin' the first 3 or 4 times... once you get some heat in them... they'll start to hook for ya! (When the car is stock). As you go up in mods... nothing may be able to hook em up!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Dave thanks for the advice.
Nelson007

[/B]
PS2's will 'just spin' the first 3 or 4 times... once you get some heat in them... they'll start to hook for ya! (When the car is stock). As you go up in mods... nothing may be able to hook em up!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:27 PM
enufpwr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone making 600-700rwp or above-- how the heck are you launching the car? I take it not on PS2's?

On the street my 1st and 2nd gears are basically blowing the tires away no matter what setting I put the PTM in. Warmed the tires up a few times and still feel like I'm loosing ET whenever the system tries to compensate. Only way I got to hook up is to ease into the throttle or 1/2 throttle when in a PTM setting.

A 3rd gear roll at 55mph the boost lags just enough to give the car traction --hooks and goes, but I wish I could use 1st and 2nd without spinning.

With the Lingenfelter kit I find the 4000rpm launch control useless-- won't hook at all. I tried the LC 4 and launching at idle, 1000,2000, and still can't get the ps2's to hook.

It's 70 degrees outside and 55 at night yesterday so maybe the tires need more heat in them and I should just wait for warmer weather.

Any other tricks to trying to hook up?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by enufpwr

Everyone making 600-700rwp or above-- how the heck are you launching the car? I take it not on PS2's?

On the street my 1st and 2nd gears are basically blowing the tires away no matter what setting I put the PTM in. Warmed the tires up a few times and still feel like I'm loosing ET whenever the system tries to compensate. Only way I got to hook up is to ease into the throttle or 1/2 throttle when in a PTM setting.

A 3rd gear roll at 55mph the boost lags just enough to give the car traction --hooks and goes, but I wish I could use 1st and 2nd without spinning.

With the Lingenfelter kit I find the 4000rpm launch control useless-- won't hook at all. I tried the LC 4 and launching at idle, 1000,2000, and still can't get the ps2's to hook.

It's 70 degrees outside and 55 at night yesterday so maybe the tires need more heat in them and I should just wait for warmer weather.

Any other tricks to trying to hook up?
Dr is your friend!

Get notified of new replies

To Launch control question

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Launch control question