Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Here's your intake valve guides! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I'll have more vids hopefully later this week or weekend. I still spent the whole weekend FLOGGING the car at COTA in Austin. I was hitting 150-160mph on the back straight, 130-140mph on the front straight all weekend long beating on my brand new carbon ceramic rotors and pads and trying to cord my Continental slicks.

Car was fricking amazing. I'm not exaggerating that I passed over 100 cars this weekend and got passed ONCE by a highly modded C5 with a 427 ONLY because I saw a blue flag and got confused for a minute. I ended up running him back down and passing him before the end of the session.

This car is unbelievable on the track with a few minor mods. (I have finspeed wheels, Conti slicks, race seat, harnesses/harness bar, poly bushings, and camber kit with pretty aggressive cambered dialed in by Louis G.) That's it. The car just fricking eats up almost any other car on the track.

One guy in a really nice red Cayman R said he thought the Millenium Falcon was coming up on him on the back straight and I blew past him like he was standing still.
Jealous, COTA is such an awesome track!
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Awesome video. Thanks for posting!
Old 03-25-2014, 05:35 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Buddy just made it back out there with the new power from the cam I speced and our tune in his now 425rwhp/424rwtq LS6 powered Lotus 7...completely different animal of course, but he did get a video of a 1:16 lap that I thought you might enjoy
Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow, that car is fast. It accelerates faster than my ZR1. Power to weight ratio is king yet again.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:58 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Wow, that car is fast. It accelerates faster than my ZR1. Power to weight ratio is king yet again.
Aerodynamics aren't in it's favor and he's definitely leaving some on the table, but it is a beast from my experience on the street w/o slicks...hope to make it out there with him next time, hope all is well.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Nice video but it doesn't prove anything. Hell, all of the wheels may have fallen off just after the video finished. The valves on my 08Z were fine right up until the point one of the exhaust valve heads decided to break off going down the front straight at the Glen at 118 mph in 3rd (~6800 rpm). This was after 40 track days (~4K track miles) with 22K miles on the engine.

Bill
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 PM
3LZZ06
_"SCOTT"_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Nice video but it doesn't prove anything. Hell, all of the wheels may have fallen off just after the video finished. The valves on my 08Z were fine right up until the point one of the exhaust valve heads decided to break off going down the front straight at the Glen at 118 mph in 3rd (~6800 rpm). This was after 40 track days (~4K track miles) with 22K miles on the engine.

Bill
I think we all know this.

The thread is just about having some fun in light of a major GM "F U" to it's loyal customers.

By that I mean, no "real" answers, determination, resolution, or long term fix for what has plagued mainly the LS7's for several years now.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

^ yes...how true.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have more vids hopefully later this week or weekend. I still spent the whole weekend FLOGGING the car at COTA in Austin. I was hitting 150-160mph on the back straight, 130-140mph on the front straight all weekend long beating on my brand new carbon ceramic rotors and pads and trying to cord my Continental slicks.

Car was fricking amazing. I'm not exaggerating that I passed over 100 cars this weekend and got passed ONCE by a highly modded C5 with a 427 ONLY because I saw a blue flag and got confused for a minute. I ended up running him back down and passing him before the end of the session.

This car is unbelievable on the track with a few minor mods. (I have finspeed wheels, Conti slicks, race seat, harnesses/harness bar, poly bushings, and camber kit with pretty aggressive cambered dialed in by Louis G.) That's it. The car just fricking eats up almost any other car on the track.

One guy in a really nice red Cayman R said he thought the Millenium Falcon was coming up on him on the back straight and I blew past him like he was standing still.
I was out there too and heard you were there but only saw you once. You materialized out of hyperspace right before turn 11. I'm making the turn and trying to get my hand out the window but had just installed a window net and couldn't get my hand out fast enough. I'm flailing my hand like it's going to fall off. You finally pass only to be held up by traffic in turns 13-14...you pounded the top of your roof in frustration, felt bad for you, looked like you had a good lap going.

Were you on the Contis the entire weekend? What kind of times did you turn?

Jay
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I was out there too and heard you were there but only saw you once. You materialized out of hyperspace right before turn 11. I'm making the turn and trying to get my hand out the window but had just installed a window net and couldn't get my hand out fast enough. I'm flailing my hand like it's going to fall off. You finally pass only to be held up by traffic in turns 13-14...you pounded the top of your roof in frustration, felt bad for you, looked like you had a good lap going.

Were you on the Contis the entire weekend? What kind of times did you turn?

Jay
What car were you driving? How funny you saw me bang my roof in frustration. My fastest lap of the weekend was a 2:25 and my predictive lap timer was showing almost -2 seconds going into that corner, so an easy 2:23 as I had a few other corners to pick up more time and I got blocked. That is why I banged the roof. That was the only time that weekend I was visibly frustrated. Figures someone would have seen that. haha.

Car was running great and the times aren't bad on Conti scrub tires which are several seconds slower than fresh Michelin slicks based on my experience. The car can definitely get a 2:18 with a clean lap on fresh Michelin slicks. That said, it won't matter until it's done someday. My 2:22 time from last year is still my fastest on Michelins before I did any mods to the car (proper alignment which is huge for slicks, poly bushings, race seats, harnesses, fresh brakes, etc.)

Here's a 28 minute session in the instructor group where I was asked to take a guy who has Stage 4 cancer for a ride. I was honored to do so. Car ran perfectly over 200 track miles this weekend at COTA:

Here's another 24 minute session with a good cat/mouse with a highly modded 427 red C5 hardtop driven by a good driver towards the end of the session. I let him by when I saw a blue flag as I was confused how in the world I was holding anyone up. It certainly wasn't directed at me I realized later. I ended up catching up to him and passing before the end of the session, damn the oil and coolant temps.

I'll have some more sessions up later on Youtube for anyone interested. Just visit my page.

Last edited by QUIKAG; 03-29-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was driving the white C5Z with aero. Best time I turned was on the very last lap of the last session on Sunday 2.28:95. Stock LS6, stock trans and 3.90 rear.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:25 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Car sounds good and was moving nicely out there. I remember your car. I don't think we crossed paths, at least that I can recall, on the track. I'll come say hi next time or you can do the same.

Nice vid too!
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM
RollingThunder69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quikag -- how many track days do you do in a year with your ZR1? Seems like quite a bit.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:50 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RollingThunder69
Quikag -- how many track days do you do in a year with your ZR1? Seems like quite a bit.
Around 6-7 track weekends a year, so figure 12-14 track days on average. Wish I could do more, but between work and wife, that's about it. Plus, I (and the car!) don't like running when it's over 100F outside here in DFW.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^ that's a very healthy track-day schedule with lots of seat-time...and it shows !
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
^ that's a very healthy track-day schedule with lots of seat-time...and it shows !
Thanks, wish I could do twice that many and have someone else pay for it and not have to work a day job. Alas, that doesn't appear to be in the cards at this point.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, wish I could do twice that many and have someone else pay for it and not have to work a day job. Alas, that doesn't appear to be in the cards at this point.

yeah, that's in my dreams, too...just not gonna' happen !
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
yeah, that's in my dreams, too...just not gonna' happen !
If it hit the lotto, I'll let you run track days with some of my cars. Haha.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^ a most generous offer...and I extend the same to you !!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Here's your intake valve guides! :)