Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] I have a hot brake smell!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:06 AM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I have a hot brake smell!

posted a few weeks ago but now I think I can say it is definately a brake smell. Drove last night just to the grocery store, 5 or so miles came home and the left rear fender well smelled strongly of hot brake. Now about the time this started a few weeks ago I had my brake fluid changed at the dealership. Coincidence? Any ideas how I can determine exactly what this is?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:02 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

See if the caliper is sticking. If you can get the back end up in the air, leave it in neutral & spin the wheels. See if one is a lot harder than the other. It may not do it when cold, sometimes you have to get the brakes hot to make them act up.

If the one side IS sticking, then you can try cracking open the bleeder screw to relieve the pressure (watch for a pressurized stream of fluid just in case.) If that immediately releases the caliper, then it could be a collapsed brake hose, ABS module etc. If it's still locked up after cracking the bleeder, then it may be a seized caliper.

Without knowing what they did to flush your brake fluid, also check to see of the pads, hardware, parking brakes, etc appear normal.

Just a few things that come to mind without actually being able to see what's going on...

Joe
Old 12-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just changed my own fluid a couple of weeks ago as I have never trusted anyone to work on my brakes. There are two bleeders per wheel - one on the inside caliper and another on the outside caliper. Be sure to check them both. I would also check for a cracked or chipped brake disk.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey Viper,

If you decide to go to the dealership to have it checked out let me know. I would like to get it documented for you in our system. If you find the concern please let me know that also.

I hope it is something small!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-28-2013, 07:38 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Viper,

If you decide to go to the dealership to have it checked out let me know. I would like to get it documented for you in our system. If you find the concern please let me know that also.

I hope it is something small!

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I went to the dealership. They put it up on a rack and the only thing they saw was a small coolant leak that he said he could easily fix with a small seal. They saw no other leaks. They did not spin the wheels or anything. They then drove the car and said they smelled nothing. I brought it home and in my closed in garage I could smell it again. (dealership was like a wind tunnel) I am going to give it some time and when something blows up or burns up, etc. I will look into it again.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Hey Viper,

If you would like me to call them to have a re-look, just shoot me a PM.

I am here to help out where I can.

Have a great New Year,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 12-31-2013, 08:35 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Are you sure it's brakes you're smelling? Could be your clutch if you slip it a lot going into your garage.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Fretka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go down to the auto parts/harbor freight etc... and buy a $35. non contact thermometer (I R gun) and point it at the wheel hub and note its temp compared to the other wheels. These can be fun to play with in other ways as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fretka
Go down to the auto parts/harbor freight etc... and buy a $35. non contact thermometer (I R gun) and point it at the wheel hub and note its temp compared to the other wheels. These can be fun to play with in other ways as well.
Good idea! I will do it. It does seem to be intermittent. I notice it more when I take this winding road home rather than straight highway.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:31 AM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hey Viper,

If you would like me to call them to have a re-look, just shoot me a PM.

I am here to help out where I can.

Have a great New Year,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks, appreciate the offer. I will drive it a bit more to see if I can figure it out.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:53 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, got the IR gun. Drove it a while and really didnt smell anything. I shot the wheel that had a smell at the inside hub. It was 113, shot the same place on the other rear wheel it was 104, the other two were 104 and 108. Doesn't seem to be any real issue there. Agree?

Get notified of new replies

To I have a hot brake smell!

Quick Reply: [ZR1] I have a hot brake smell!