Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Best heads for LS7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:49 AM
Mangum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best heads for LS7?

What is the best heads for our cars N/A and Nitrous? Just wondering if there is a head out there that will make a good bit more power than the Stock heads fully worked.

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 AM
ProEFI
Supremacy 1 car at a time
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd it's back to me I'll go with Mast or trickflow
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Mast if you are aware their 3/4" taller so covers have to be cut.
Attached Images       
Old 04-21-2014, 08:11 PM
Mangum
Instructor

What has to be cut (Valve Covers?) and when you say better how much better as far as HP goes? And also which Mast head are you talking about? Do stock rockers work? Dosent look like the same stands on the heads as the Stock ones. Im sure pushrod length will change too?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

All Pro
Or if you want big power
Mozez
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a lot of research on this and to me it was between All Pro and MAST for the money. I ended up going with a set of MAST 305cc heads with Ti intake valves and Inconel exhaust valves. They can use a the stock rockers or a shaft style setup, just specify that when you order. If you go with stock rockers you get a small set of rocker stands that sit in the head and support your rocker arms. I just got done measuring out my pushrods and ran into a few concerns with varying heights between intake and exhaust, but they were smaller increments than the pushrods are available in, so hopefully it all works out in the end. With my Lunati hydraulic linkbar lifters, I ended up with a 7.750 pushrod accounting for .020 preload for these lifters, your setup may vary.

I have not tried to mount the valve covers at this time, so we'll see how that all plays out, but the ARH 2" headers bolted right up and the sheet metal intake also fit with no issues even though I was told by other forum members and MAST themselves, that my sheet metal intake would not clear, so who knows what they were talking about, mine cleared fine.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:21 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ToppThat
Mast if you are aware their 3/4" taller so covers have to be cut.
I installed mine recently and had NO issues with fitting the covers on after installation (MAST 305). I would probably agree that with aftermarket valve covers, they might contact the alternator bracket. Headers and intake manifold bolted up just fine and I stuck with the off the shelf hollow stainless intake and stainless exhaust with their spring setup. They run this setup on engines all day at or below 7200 RPM with no issues... 500 miles of break in on mine and going on the Dyno Thursday so I'll post the numbers.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EnginerdVT
I installed mine recently and had NO issues with fitting the covers on after installation (MAST 305). I would probably agree that with aftermarket valve covers, they might contact the alternator bracket. Headers and intake manifold bolted up just fine and I stuck with the off the shelf hollow stainless intake and stainless exhaust with their spring setup. They run this setup on engines all day at or below 7200 RPM with no issues... 500 miles of break in on mine and going on the Dyno Thursday so I'll post the numbers.
What lifters are you running and what length pushrod did you end up going with?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by lane_change
What lifters are you running and what length pushrod did you end up going with?
Brand new set of stock AC Delco lifters, stock LS7 rockers with tunion upgrade and 8.050" hardened pushrods from Comp... I should add that mine are milled to 11.7:1 so they are not stock height!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

How much preload? I thought mine would be taller, but mine measured out at 7.750 which surprised me, but I am running the Lunati lifters...maybe I need to call them and ask if they are taller than stock which would create a shorter pushrod requirement. I'm also on stock rockers w/ the Trunion upgrade and I'm still running the 70cc chambers since my engine is larger and is already at 11.8:1 with these chambers.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:54 PM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mangum
What has to be cut (Valve Covers?) and when you say better how much better as far as HP goes? And also which Mast head are you talking about? Do stock rockers work? Dosent look like the same stands on the heads as the Stock ones. Im sure pushrod length will change too?
With mast black label heads, valve covers fit even with jesel sportsman rocker upgrade. Coil covers dont fit. Stock rocker bolts pushrods and lifters were changed on mine.Ordered heads with 700 spring upgrade.
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Big Power stuff, All-Pro seems to be the way to go. On most of my new big power (1000+ HP) I'll go to the 6 bolt All-Pro head.

For everything else, our race engine shop in N.C. has been doing a killer job on the GM castings for years now and have had ZERO failures with them.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 PM
croatbob
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

mines blown but went mast 305s. only 1-1.5k more than the wcch setup plus u can sell ur stock heads
Old 04-22-2014, 06:14 PM
Mangum
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Big Power stuff, All-Pro seems to be the way to go. On most of my new big power (1000+ HP) I'll go to the 6 bolt All-Pro head.

For everything else, our race engine shop in N.C. has been doing a killer job on the GM castings for years now and have had ZERO failures with them.
What's the most you have gotten out of a pump gas N/A deal? Ill be spraying it so it will be no power adder most of the time
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Mangum
Instructor

With mast black label heads, valve covers fit even with jesel sportsman rocker upgrade. Coil covers dont fit. Stock rocker bolts pushrods and lifters were changed on mine.Ordered heads with 700 spring upgrade.
Think I'm looking at it wrong but are those horsepower numbers?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
lane_change
Melting Slicks

What rocker bolts did you change over to? I talked to MAST and they said that ARP has a set, but I have not been able to find a part number yet. I know I can get the LS1, LS2, LS3 bolts, just curious what you used and if you did go ARP, do you have a part number? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM
EnginerdVT
Drifting

Originally Posted by croatbob
mines blown but went mast 305s. only 1-1.5k more than the wcch setup plus u can sell ur stock heads
Exactly... After buying the MAST 305s and selling my stock heads, I paid about 300 bucks more than I would have with sending my stock heads out for the work to be done. Once you consider upgrades on the 305s, it's a more expensive story, but the off-the-shelf configuration does just fine for a stock bottom end/NA LS7 sticking with the 7000 RPM redline.

Get notified of new replies

To Best heads for LS7?

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mangum
Think I'm looking at it wrong but are those horsepower numbers?
The first mustang dyno was on the car at 7k stock. 2nd after mods.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
ToppThat
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by lane_change
What rocker bolts did you change over to? I talked to MAST and they said that ARP has a set, but I have not been able to find a part number yet. I know I can get the LS1, LS2, LS3 bolts, just curious what you used and if you did go ARP, do you have a part number? Thanks.
My builder got them from GM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

The first mustang dyno was on the car at 7k stock. 2nd after mods.
Picked up a 100 HP.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best heads for LS7?