Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 650rwhp C5 Z06 vs. 650rwhp ZR1...opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default 650rwhp C5 Z06 vs. 650rwhp ZR1...opinions please

ZR1 owners (and former/current C5 owners),

Thinking about selling my C5 Z06 and buying a slightly used/loved '11-12 ZR1. There are plenty out there in my price range with under 5k miles.

I know the ZR1 is the King of the Hill, and _the_ Vette to own right now. Understand that I don't have to have the "latest and greatest" (obviously, or I'd wait for a C7). It really just doesn't matter much to me.

But I have had my C5 since it was new (11+yrs) and just kind of looking for something new. Nothing wrong with my car at all. It's in great shape, low miles (21k), and puts out ridiculous power. Interior is upgraded with Vette Essentials leather throughout.

I realize a twin-turbo 5.7 may have a little different power delivery than the blown 6.2, but the HP/TQ curves are probably pretty close (talking slightly modded ZR1 to get to 650rwhp). So I'm just not sure if there will be _that_ much of a difference in the cars to warrant an upgrade to the ZR1.

FWIW, my car has run 11.2 @ 139+ on street tires, so it is no slouch.

I don't race the car at the track (1/4 mile or road course) much at all.

So...especially for those who have owned both vehicles. If you had basically the same powerplant in a C5, would it still be worth it to upgrade?

I know its an open-ended question with a lot of variables. Just threw this out there for some discussion. TIA.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:16 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

It isn't just the power delivery but how the car drives and handles. There is just no comparison having had a dozen C5's and C6's including a turbo LS1 I can tell you the ZR1 is unreal. It is full on race car a big step above the C5 Z06
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 PM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hi. I am in the process of going through the same situation. For me, the answer was to buy a ZR1. I searched for about 8 months for the right one for me. I just purchased it a couple weeks ago, I still haven't posted pics or a thread here yet.

I have a modded 99 putting down 775 rwhp/tq. It has 125k miles on it. I doubt it is as nice as your car, its nice but shows its wear. I have a main bearing or cam bearing dropped and will need to spend some $ to fix it. My wife wanted me to get a new vette and get rid of the 99. (I'm still on the fence of fixing it or selling it, I have so much into it and just the way I like it that I hate to sell it, may fix it and give/sell to one of my kids). I too wanted something new or different.

I personally like the C7s coming out, and I would want the high performance edition when it comes out in a year or two, but I'd rather wait a few years and pick one up at a discount used. Not that I can't afford it, I just choose not to take that hit. That's where the ZR-1 came in. (I also was considering modified Z06's. I actually agreed to buy one from a forum member at his asking price in the C6 For Sale section, but he bailed on me. That's an interesting and frustrating story in itself).

I just purchased a 2009 ZR-1, very nicely modded in and out as well as engine work by LMR in Houston. Puts down 720+ rwhp. The car had < 8000 miles on it, and the previous owners spared no expense. Carbon fiber interior, Kenwood headunit with nav, high end speakers and sub, Akra exhaust, Vossen wheels, etc. Must have had north of $40k in mods. Beautiful car. I paid about what I would have for a low mileage 2009 without any of those mods. I've only had it a couple weeks, and love it. For me it was worth the upgrade. Although the rwhp is similar or a bit less than my C5, it is far more than my C5 in terms of handling and other amenities, I can't even describe it all yet, as I am still taking it all in and learning.

Plus, my wife was strongly encouraging me to buy it. What makes momma happy, keeps daddy happy. She really likes it too, not that she'll ever drive it. I am the one who hates to spend money on myself, but I'm getting older and I work my *** off as my wife and kids point out, so all things fell in to place.

As you mention, many variables for you to consider. All I can share is my story and how it was the right choice for me to go from a high performance C5 to the ZR-1. I still haven't quite given up my C5 though, but this ZR-1 will make it much easier.

Best of luck with your decision and search.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

appreciate the responses gentlemen
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Had a C5 Z, blown with just about 600rwhp. Now have an unmodded 2011 ZR1. My opinion to should you upgrade to the ZR-----ABSOLUTELY!!!!
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ

I just purchased a 2009 ZR-1, very nicely modded in and out
That sounds a lot like the silver car that was at Motorwerks. If so.....congrats on a great purchase! What a beast.

To the OP: I'm the original owner of a procharged 2004 570 rwhp C5 coupe with magnetic ride, Z06 bars and exhaust, 19" rubber, Xenons, upgraded sound, dynamat, minitub, etc.....essentially a C5 "ZR1" long before the General thought up the Blue Devil, and it's a fantastic car. Aside from braking/road race prowess, and of course the usual C6 refinements, the C5 with key mods really holds its own quite well. Some would say the smoother, less gimmicky styling is going to age better too.

The reasons to upgrade would be for the track prowess of the car, with a dry sump, CC brakes, PTM, newer gen magnetic ride, etc....but then again, you have to choose factory engineering with a warranty vs aftermarket mods. Personally, I chose........both.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:20 PM
ss2z06
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 330 Posts

Doctorv8 you are my hero!!!! I love your car list!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 AM
ZZ
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by DoctorV8
That sounds a lot like the silver car that was at Motorwerks. If so.....congrats on a great purchase! What a beast.
Yes, that is the car.

Get notified of new replies

To 650rwhp C5 Z06 vs. 650rwhp ZR1...opinions please

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 650rwhp C5 Z06 vs. 650rwhp ZR1...opinions please