Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Biever's 2010 ZR1 is looking like a lemon

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Biev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biever's 2010 ZR1 is looking like a lemon

Purchased car March 10, 2010 from Findlay Chevrolet, Las Vegas, Nevada.
No test drive was allowed.
Within 25 miles of leaving the dealership, the transmission developed a whirling noise. Dealership upon inspection agreed the transmission was faulty and Dealer wanted to take transmission apart and repair such. I intervened and got Art Spong from GM involved and he arranged to replace the transmission.
Mileage 1578, Steering was not behaving and car was twitchy. Dealership aligned front and back.
Mileage 3059……..Cabin temp not controlling temp. Dealer replaced inside air sensor
Mileage 4491 Steering still not behaving and car twitchy, Dealer replaced Steering rack, wheel alignment. Received car with steering wheel off centre
Mileage 5374 Steering still wanders and wheel off centre. Steering wheel very hard to turn need both hands. Dealer replaced steering rack. Wheel alignment. Received car with steering wheel off centre
Mileage 5461 Steering wheel off centre. Vehicle still pulls to right when at freeway speeds. Dealer finds left rear tire faulty and replaces both rear tires. Wheel alignment
Mileage 10459 Fuel rail leaking, dealer replaces fuel rail. Air temp display stuck at 47 and temp still not being controlled. I asked dealer at this time to see if they could get me out of this car and into a new 2013 for a far price as the amount of problems I was having. Quoted me 47k (wow)
Mileage __ (3-4 days after service) Had phantom lost of memory on mirrors and windows and some non first push button starts. Talked to mechanic directly and we reprogrammed issues but no reasons were given.
Mileage________ Got locked into car as all power was off. Found safety latch and got out of car……..Checked battery and found positive cable was disconnected and laying on top of post. Talked to mechanic about what I found and how could this have occurred.
Mileage 11704 Steering wheel when turning right and left has a clunk sound. Dealer replaced steering rack with a re-manufactured steering rack. I again got Art Spong involved and he told me they had been replacing the steering racks each time with a re-manufacture rack. However Gm found that there was a problem with the rack internals and since this October all replacement racks had been properly repaired. Received car back with steering wheel off centre. Also the HVAC still wasn’t working and dealer found the control module to be defective and replaced. This is the first time since I purchased the car that the Temp. control actually worked properly, you set on auto and it controls cabin air close to the selected temp.
Mileage 11905 Took car back to repair off centre steering wheel and to replace front tires. Dealer did a wheel alignment to correct off centre steering and now the car pulls to the right,
. 2 days later I take the car back as it pull to the right and had other corvette owners drive the car to verify the pull. Gm test drove the car as I had GM customer service involved. They say it meets gm standards and the road crown is causing the pull. To start with the car never pulled before I put the new tires on and it now pulls irregardless of with side of the road crown you are on. Gm is satisfied it is road crown caused….

Too date this car has been in the shop for 37 days……

I have had enough with this car and went to GM customer service and they have informed that there is nothing they are prepared to do in regards to replacing the vehicle or buying back the vehicle. .
My file with GM has been closed and noted customer unsatisfied.

Wow this is probably their most expensive vehicle and highest profile vehicle. Just had to Vent.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:54 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sadly, it's probably time to get a rabid shyster involved.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I can Vouch for the Owners problems, so dont think he is crazy or picky, just wants a vehicle that is correct in every way as he should for what he paid for the vehicle for Petes sake.

Bernie, sounds like an Attorney Letter needs to be drafted
Old 12-24-2012, 07:35 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Ever thought that the dealers alignment machine is off? Take it to a different dealer for alignment. Also worn down tires/extremely wide tires will tram as you go down the road. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles especially on such a pricey car.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

WOW..... That sucks. Sorry for your troubles.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 PM
1991 ZR1
1st Gear

All of the time I read these post but I never post myself, This is my first post and just had to reply to this C6 ZR1's problems which appear to be many. I purchased my 2010 C6 ZR1 12/1/10 brand new and have had one major problem of a Pilot bearing going at 10000 miles and now have had leaking headlights replaced and of course mis-mounted improperly which I am dealing with right now and a GPS screen that goes in and out as the control head cannot need read the DVD properly. After replacing the whole radio GPS unit it still is going in and out, and dealership has now ordered a new DVD to see if that fixes the problem. After I picked up the car after the Pilot bearing was replaced not just 5 weeks later the same 1st gear groin came back and GM claimed there was nothing wrong with the car so I made a tech report and they said get a second opinion. After getting the car back from the dealership the second time regarding the pilot bearing noise the dealer claimed they could not work on the car because GM claimed there was no problem and to just get a second opinion. Since getting the car back from the dealer and making the tech report mysteriously the 1st gear groin is gone. Hmm! But I am happy as long as the groin does not come back. However get your problems documented for if a claim needs to be made later you should be protected. I cannot believe GM has not steeped in and replaced your car. I am disappointed to read about such problems with the top of the line C6 Corvette and not see the General replace this car under the Lemon Law.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,993 Likes on 5,363 Posts

It certainly sounds like you have had some serious issues.

However, as I read your comments I kept coming across the comment steering wheel off center when you got the car back. Other than the steering wheel being off center was there anything wrong with the steering when you got it back? Did the car drive straight with no pull, could you take your hand off the steering wheel and the car would drive straight for 500 ft or more? Off center wheel doesn't mean much if the car is driving properly. Including non serious issues over and over again with your complaints can make everything fall on deaf ears.

Locally I took another guy's 08Z51 out for a drive because he was complaining the dealer couldn't get his car aligned and it was pulling to the right and the dealer mechanic had done a lot work trying to correct the problem. We took it to the highway where he had all the trouble and I put the car in cruise at 65 mph in the right hand lane and took my hands off the steering wheel. The car drifted to the right because of the crown but when the right front tire hit the paint on the edge of the lane the car moved back to the left. I drove it for over a mile on a straight section of the highway without my hands on the steering wheel and it would move from the right side of the pavement to almost the center line and back. When I drove in the left lane it did the same although it was bouncing off the left side paint line. I didn't think anything was wrong with the car other as it pulled equally to either side depending on which side of the center line we were driving. I do have to admit there was a slight ridge at the paint line since it had a lot of paint layers. He was flabergasted that I didn't have to constantly pull on the steering wheel.

Bill
Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear.. . Hope you get your probs solved quickly.
Obviously, they're not all bad.

14.5k perfect miles here. .
Old 12-24-2012, 08:17 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Contact Krohn and Moss, they represented me with my issues with GM and got me a very favorable settlement. I was 59 days without my car.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Biev
Advanced

Bill
This car has never been a no hands car. I've had many other corvette owners try this car and all said the same ....take it back...car is all over the road. . This last time (very last time)they put in a steering rack the car has never handled as good as it does now. When going on a club runs I dreaded the roads if they weren't on new pavement and freeways. Sad that the first 11.8k aren't as fun and easy as it handles now. I've lost all confidence in the car.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Biev
Bill
This car has never been a no hands car. I've had many other corvette owners try this car and all said the same ....take it back...car is all over the road. . .
Something is not right. my C6 tracks perfectly straight (a no hands car) while cruising steady state at any reasonable speed. try a private shop to align it and send your chevy dealer the bill.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Biev
Advanced

Mr. Gizmo
Your idea was tossed around but I didn't go to another shop as this would open up a whole new avenue for the dealership to exploit. Did not want any finger pointing to start..
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM
seas3to5
Advanced

Too date this car has been in the shop for 37 days

With a history like that you would think that GM would be doing anything they could to make you a satisfied customer. Having owned four Corvettes to date, when I hear things like this, I got to wonder what would happen if I bought a new C7and I had any problems with the car, so far I've been lucky with all of my cars, never having to bring a car back twice for the same problem. But that doesn't mean that I've not heard of others that had problems that couldn't be fixed. That is why we have the lemon law!

Last night at dinner, there was a discussion going around the dinner table with a group of Corvette owner, about the new C7 and if we were going to buy a new one, when they first hit the market, unfortunately there was also a discussion about the problems you have had with this car, and how it is being handled at GM! To say the lease, there were some of us that are very cornered with the treatment you have received!

This time around I will be thinking hard about buying a new Corvette and will be looking at other options. If GM doesn't stand behind the top of the line Corvette, in a case like yours, I now wonder what would happen with the lower end models. I presently own a 2008 Z06 and it time to buy a new one again or something else!

I happened to be one of the drivers that drove this car after it came out of the shop the last time it was suppose to have been fixed, just like all the other times they said they had the problem resolved, the car still pulls to the right on a flat parking lot, and has nothing to do with the crown of the road!
We all pay top dollar for these cars that we expect them to perform to a higher standard then the run of the mill vehicle, that's why we buy them!

They say it meets gm standards and the road crown is causing the pull. To start with the car never pulled before I put the new tires on and it now pulls irregardless of with side of the road crown you are on. Gm is satisfied it is road crown caused….
Problems like you have are one of the many reasons why people started buying foreign cars; you can now buy a car that has the same type of performance that has a manufacture that will stand behind their products.
This is the most upsetting part of your whole post:

Dealer replaced steering rack with a re-manufactured steering rack. I again got Art Spong involved and he told me they had been replacing the steering racks each time with a re-manufacture rack. However Gm found that there was a problem with the rack internals and since this October all replacement racks had been properly repaired.
I don't know if that is even legal, and I would check with the NV State Attorney's Office to see what they have to say about that practice! If you had an accident that had anything to do with the steering on you're car I would think a good lawyer would have a field day with that practice, of fixing cars with re-manufacture parts. If they are using re-manufacture steering racks, the first question is what other parts are they using. Maybe you should get 60 Min's involved in you're problem. The re-manufactured parts would be a great lead-in to your story! They actually put you at risk when they used a re-manufactured steering rack, which they knew had problems.

However Gm found that there was a problem with the rack internals and since this October all replacement racks had been properly repaired.

I just wonder how many ZR1's are now out on the roads with these re-manufactured steering racks in them!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

One thing that comes to mind is the electronic stability control.

When removing the steering wheel there is a sensor that needs to be calibrated properly. is it possible that the steering position sensor is not correct causing issues with the stability control?

Sorry to hear about your problems
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Biev
Mr. Gizmo
Your idea was tossed around but I didn't go to another shop as this would open up a whole new avenue for the dealership to exploit. Did not want any finger pointing to start..
Sorry to hear of your problems. From my perspective, it looks like the dealership could be the issue. Many are ill prepared to work on these cars and some dealerships don't spend the money to train their techs (my opinion).
I eliminated 2 in my area, on my 3rd now. One couldn't change the oil on a dry sump system properly
It's sad, as the dealership can actually take a perfectly good ZR1 and make it worse than when it went in. Improper installations and you now have damage to multiple parts and functions.
Could it be some dealerships aren't telling GM the fact that they have poorly trained techs? Maybe..
It's a shame, because I truly believe these cars are fantastic and there are great dealerships out there. The problem has always been "how do you find them"?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Biev sorry your having all these issues with your ZR1. I would not deal directly with GM anymore. I would consult with an lawyer asap. Your documentation with GM and their customer service will get your car bought back I can almost bet that you will win in court. A good friend of mine had a saturn car which had problems over a period of time and they consulted in a lawyer and GM ended up buying the car back. So I hope that will be the case with you. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM
RFE-57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's GM customer service for this thread?

Get notified of new replies

To Biever's 2010 ZR1 is looking like a lemon

Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Where's GM customer service for this thread?
From the OP first post.

"I have had enough with this car and went to GM customer service and they have informed that there is nothing they are prepared to do in regards to replacing the vehicle or buying back the vehicle. .
My file with GM has been closed and noted customer unsatisfied."
Old 12-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Biev
Advanced

Maybe GM customer service will comment via the forum?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't bother with GM customer service. Call Krohn and Moss and let them handle things on your behalf. They don't charge you anything, they don't take a percentage. Their fees are paid by GM. The car qualifies as lemon and they will make sure GM comes correct. Call them, it's the best move I made with my car issues. Or, call Art again and express your feelings to him and see if he can work his magic. He got my car repaired properly after several failed attempts, but I felt after 59 days without my car, I had no choice but to hire Krohn and Moss. They are the top firm in the industry for this type of representation. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act covers the consumer for four years on a new car purchase, so you are well within the timeline for having them file a claim.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Biever's 2010 ZR1 is looking like a lemon