Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Rear-end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Rear-end clunk

So, I've had a clunk for a while in the rear end when going over sharp bumps in the roads, including expansion joints. When I had new tires put on at the local Ferrari dealership, I had their tech look over the rear suspension to see if he noted anything loose. He does Ferrari Challenge pit crew work, so he's a competent guy. Anyway, he didn't notice anything loose.

Fast forward to last week and my car is at the dealership for inspection and a glitchy tire pressure sensor. I have them look at the clunk and, long-story short, they replace the end links. When I first picked the car up, I thought the clunk was gone, but the clunk is definitely still there.

It literally sounds like a loud rattle/clunk when hitting bumps. It almost sounds like the rear hatch is loose and bangs over bumps. But, the hatch isn't loose.

Does anyone have any ideas? I could have the dealership continue to dig around back there, but it was a bit of a process to get them to replace the end links. They initially told me it was a positraction noise and didn't replace anything until I came back to the dealership and took the shop foreman for a ride. So, I'd rather point them in the right direction if anyone has ideas.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Cory -

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
It literally sounds like a loud rattle/clunk when hitting bumps. It almost sounds like the rear hatch is loose and bangs over bumps. But, the hatch isn't loose.
There's a hanger that holds the tail pipes/mufflers up to the very rear end of the car. They screw up from the bottom of the car, and I've lost both of them. Member BWright also lost one or both. The sound is similar to what you're talking about. Crawl under the rear end of your car and see if you can move the tail pipes or mufflers. Look to see if there are any loose bolts, or worse: missing ones.

jas
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 2 brackets that hold the bottom of the rear fascia on , they bolt on to the frame just above the tail pipes. One of these bolts was missing on mine and made some noise.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:39 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys. I will check into both of these possibilities.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:53 PM
4evervette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I have the same sound however it started from the rear .. Now sometimes when I drive on uneven ground ..I can hear it from the front Too..was thinking it could be my shock absorbers !!

Am going to put it on the jack and see
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a loose sway bar that caused a similar noise...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

check door strikers latches. i too thought i had a rear end noise but it was the passenger latch going over bumps. only issue i have had .
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem with my 2010 GS. Can you feel the pop with your right arm resting on the center console when you hear the clunk?

My issue was oil canning of the sheet metal behind the seats.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...r-service.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1575261552-post98.html
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Thanks again, guys. When I have a little bit of time, I'm going to test all of these possible fixes and see if I can isolate the issue. I'll let y'all know what I find out.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
VasMan
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure that your sway bar bushings are there. My driver's side one slipped out of mine. If you need to replace them follow the manual procedure, but also put a bit of grease in the sway bar side of things.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So I had a rear end clunk under hard cornering last weekend at NCCAR. It was also the first time I tracked the car since having the transmission replaced. Was going to take it back to the dealer but I decided to put the car on my lift and check the obvious. As it turns out, the technician forgot to tighten the passenger side rear sway bar mount. Two bolts isn't bad considering he had to drop the entire rear sub frame.

Ian
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Ian what happened to you tranny?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
isnider
Pro

Reverse synchro failed, no way to shift into reverse without grinding which was really annoying.

Dealerships don't repair trannys anymore they just replace them....

Im doing BMWCCA VIR full course Aug 24-26, any chance you are going Joe?

Ian
Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Summit NASA this weekend and VIR TrackDaze on 27th and 28th........first and only time I tried to run with BMW club they wouldnt let me register with either of my Corvettes stating that the halo wasnt strong enough........when I responded with..... I have a 4 point hoop in my older car. They then said it had to be certified, basicly they didnt want me to run with them. That was the DC chapter.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by topmover
BMW club they wouldnt let me register with either of my Corvettes stating that the halo wasnt strong enough
Clearly they've never seen a Corvette sitting on its roof. Those bows are far more than "strong enough".

Wusses.

jas
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Clearly they've never seen a Corvette sitting on its roof. Those bows are far more than "strong enough".

Wusses.

jas
Yeah, very lame excuse for the BMW club to use to keep a Vette out. The rollover protection on Corvettes is extremely good.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:13 PM
isnider
Pro

I can tell they don't like me being there, but they have needed the enrollment the last couple of years so they have tolerated it. We usually have 10-15 Vettes at the BMW events!

Kinda wish Joe was going since there usually isn't anything fast enough to play with...

Hopefully some of you guys will make the Trackdaze VIR grand course in November

Ian

Get notified of new replies

To Rear-end clunk

Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

So, I believe I have finally found the problem as it hasn't make the clunk/bang/rattle noise in a few weeks. I had been a little concerned the rear suspension was going to fall out during a track day for the last several thousand miles.

Guess what it was?

The right rear back-up light was loose and would move around a bit and clunk against the bumper when I would hit a bump. I figured it out by slapping the rear bumper and I noticed the light was moving around a bit, so I wedged some tar paper into the gap between the light and the bumper so it wouldn't move and voila, no more sound.

I couldn't believe it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
So, I believe I have finally found the problem as it hasn't make the clunk/bang/rattle noise in a few weeks. I had been a little concerned the rear suspension was going to fall out during a track day for the last several thousand miles.

Guess what it was?

The right rear back-up light was loose and would move around a bit and clunk against the bumper when I would hit a bump. I figured it out by slapping the rear bumper and I noticed the light was moving around a bit, so I wedged some tar paper into the gap between the light and the bumper so it wouldn't move and voila, no more sound.

I couldn't believe it.

CHEEEEEEEEVY

lol I am glad you got it figured out man
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

These cars have an uncanny way of transmitting sound from, and to, uncanny places.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Rear-end clunk