Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] 11.2 at 129mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 11.2 at 129mph

Went to the track yesterday and ran the car on street tires. Its my first time out in the car and I have only had it a few days so launching it is not my forte. It was hooooot out so I threw 5 gallons of 101 in it just to protect the motor from detonation. My car is not tuned for the higher octane so I doubt I picked any power up. It was bouncing between 84-87*(according to dragtimes. My ambient temp was reading 88-90) out and we were there from 12-5pm. Track prep seemed pretty decent. I know the car has a lot more in it and I am confident on street tires with the right temps I can knock out a 10.5 on street tires. I was launching at about 3700 rpms. Probably could have done a 4000 rpm launch and gotten it to stick. Thanks to Fartpipe for pointing out I am an idiot for launching the car all day in Sport mode. I followed his advice and through it in touring and knocked the air pressure down to 21psi and was able to go from 11.4 all day to 11.2 at 129. I was also having a bad time with the 1-2 shift because I was getting some pretty decent wheel hop. Also I had half a tank of gas at the beginning of the day and at 4:50pm when I popped off my 11.2 I was down to a 1/4 tank. So ideally if I was down to the light and everything yanked out of my car for weight savings I potentially had a 10 second run in that heat. Also that was a hot lap run as in I literally rolled right back through no stopping and still popped off that time. To me that is very impressive because my coolant temps and oil were both at about 210-215 and it still pulled that time.

So here is the down side. As we are leaving the track I blew past some of the Vengeance guys and noticed I was blowing lots of smoke at high rpm. I attributed it to unburnt fuel. I drove easy for a bit on the way home and then stopped and filled her up once she got low enough. Started beating on it again on the highway while I was driving and the smoke was very faint now. However, I noticed the exhaust note changed. I instantly knew I melted a cat. Pulled over and checked the exhaust pipes and sure enough there were platinum flakes. Also could hear the cats rattling. By the time I got home they were rattling something fierce and you could hear that gurgle that if I am correct Quickwag had complained of when his cats let go. To me it seems as if the cats on these cars which are shared with the Z06 were not designed for a boosted application will fail due to high boost or repeated abuse. Also the fact that I run a safe tune which means it runs rich, but not as rich as the factory tune will help eat the cats up quickly. The 101 octane was unleaded so it definitely wasn't that, I know that it burns hotter so that may have helped to contribute to the failure, but I am 99% sure its the high boost and high heat nature of a boosted car.

Also noticed on the way home my oil and coolant temps with the A/C on were hovering around 217 and off at 207. Granted I was reading 90-93 ambient temps and have never driven the car in that high of heat. I usually hover around 192 coolant and 198-202 oil.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

It'll do better than that!!! I was out yesterday around the Perimeter Mall area around 5 P.M. and was getting 90 degrees. Very hot day.

Sorry to hear about the cats. Need to get rid of them anyway.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ufaj26
It'll do better than that!!! I was out yesterday around the Perimeter Mall area around 5 P.M. and was getting 90 degrees. Very hot day.

Sorry to hear about the cats. Need to get rid of them anyway.
Agreed all around on everything lol. It still impresses me for stock tire in that kind of heat and being hot lapped. Means the car does work even in the heat with the mods. Can't wait to hit the road course.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Road Atlanta here you come????
Old 04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Road Atlanta here you come????
Yeah I am trying to squeeze in the June 4th event with Chin Motorsports.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:32 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Good luck. That track is only 6 miles from me!!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Good luck. That track is only 6 miles from me!!
If I make it out there you should come by and say hi
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, I assume it won't be covered under warranty and you will only need it to pass DEQ anyway?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YWZ08
So, I assume it won't be covered under warranty and you will only need it to pass DEQ anyway?
I am Florida tagged so we don't have emissions. I was planning on cutting them out anyways so I won't bother trying to get them covered under warranty. If I really need another set I can always pick up a used set for about $150 since they are the same as the Z06. I knew they were going to burn out after seeing a few stock cars have failures with them at the track.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I am Florida tagged so we don't have emissions. I was planning on cutting them out anyways so I won't bother trying to get them covered under warranty. If I really need another set I can always pick up a used set for about $150 since they are the same as the Z06. I knew they were going to burn out after seeing a few stock cars have failures with them at the track.
Oh wow, nice! Awesome car!
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YWZ08
Oh wow, nice! Awesome car!
Thanks

And yours too
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got you text yesterday. Once you get some dr tires the time will change. I say with the mods you have very low 10's. The mph should also go up some where in the high 30's. Get a no cat x pipe
Old 04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Went to the track yesterday and ran the car on street tires. Its my first time out in the car and I have only had it a few days so launching it is not my forte. It was hooooot out so I threw 5 gallons of 101 in it just to protect the motor from detonation. My car is not tuned for the higher octane so I doubt I picked any power up. It was bouncing between 84-87*(according to dragtimes. My ambient temp was reading 88-90) out and we were there from 12-5pm. Track prep seemed pretty decent. I know the car has a lot more in it and I am confident on street tires with the right temps I can knock out a 10.5 on street tires. I was launching at about 3700 rpms. Probably could have done a 4000 rpm launch and gotten it to stick. Thanks to Fartpipe for pointing out I am an idiot for launching the car all day in Sport mode. I followed his advice and through it in touring and knocked the air pressure down to 21psi and was able to go from 11.4 all day to 11.2 at 129. I was also having a bad time with the 1-2 shift because I was getting some pretty decent wheel hop. Also I had half a tank of gas at the beginning of the day and at 4:50pm when I popped off my 11.2 I was down to a 1/4 tank. So ideally if I was down to the light and everything yanked out of my car for weight savings I potentially had a 10 second run in that heat. Also that was a hot lap run as in I literally rolled right back through no stopping and still popped off that time. To me that is very impressive because my coolant temps and oil were both at about 210-215 and it still pulled that time.

So here is the down side. As we are leaving the track I blew past some of the Vengeance guys and noticed I was blowing lots of smoke at high rpm. I attributed it to unburnt fuel. I drove easy for a bit on the way home and then stopped and filled her up once she got low enough. Started beating on it again on the highway while I was driving and the smoke was very faint now. However, I noticed the exhaust note changed. I instantly knew I melted a cat. Pulled over and checked the exhaust pipes and sure enough there were platinum flakes. Also could hear the cats rattling. By the time I got home they were rattling something fierce and you could hear that gurgle that if I am correct Quickwag had complained of when his cats let go. To me it seems as if the cats on these cars which are shared with the Z06 were not designed for a boosted application will fail due to high boost or repeated abuse. Also the fact that I run a safe tune which means it runs rich, but not as rich as the factory tune will help eat the cats up quickly. The 101 octane was unleaded so it definitely wasn't that, I know that it burns hotter so that may have helped to contribute to the failure, but I am 99% sure its the high boost and high heat nature of a boosted car.

Also noticed on the way home my oil and coolant temps with the A/C on were hovering around 217 and off at 207. Granted I was reading 90-93 ambient temps and have never driven the car in that high of heat. I usually hover around 192 coolant and 198-202 oil.

Both you and the car did really well congrats...Like you said considering all was stock and it was hot at the time...
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, Whatcop, I have a S/S Akrapovic X pipe if you need something like that. I sold the system but never got around to doing anything with the X Pipe from the system.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:23 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GIO-305
Got you text yesterday. Once you get some dr tires the time will change. I say with the mods you have very low 10's. The mph should also go up some where in the high 30's. Get a no cat x pipe
That's what I'm thinking. I was losing a lot because I couldn't launch it like crazy and a lot going into 2nd.

BTW, Whatcop, I have a S/S Akrapovic X pipe if you need something like that. I sold the system but never got around to doing anything with the X Pipe from the system.
Thanks for the offer but I have that bassani exhaust and so it mates right up to the cats and then the single muffler sits in the tunnel. I'm going to just cut the cats out and weld new pipe in. Also I might just delete the muffler and put a x-pipe in.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
narush
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats on your run that is awesome
Old 04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Sounds like a fun time at the track.

Something tells me you're going to blow thru some rear tires on that car.

Get notified of new replies

To 11.2 at 129mph

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice times for first time out ,but i think 10.5 on street tires is not very realistic.You ll never get the traction required to go 10.5 on regular tires.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by camirocz
Nice times for first time out ,but i think 10.5 on street tires is not very realistic.You ll never get the traction required to go 10.5 on regular tires.
It might be possible with the right weather. Also I wasn't doing a sitting burnout. All I do with street tires is go around the water box and give them a quick spin to put some heat in them and scrub any sand off.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also let me know when you go out and I might stop by to say hello.
Getting (3) ZR1's together might be contagious.................

Quick Reply: [ZR1] 11.2 at 129mph