Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] No lift shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Default No lift shifting?

what mode does the car have to be in, in order to use that feature?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Chevy Cobalt SS has that but not the ZR1

Ian
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by isnider

Ian
really?!?!? that sucks...oh well, thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I thought "Launch Control" allowed no-lift shifts?
Old 03-11-2012, 08:51 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
I thought "Launch Control" allowed no-lift shifts?
me too
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

No lift shifting?
what mode does the car have to be in, in order to use that feature?

Originally Posted by isnider

Ian

Makes sense . . . . Cobalt SS interior bests the Vetts also !!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,474 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Launch control allows no lift (throttle) shifting. Remember, tho, it only works if you've properly activated LC at the outset and you've kept the throttle completely buried.

You lift the throttle at all, and it you come out of LC mode.

You can shift thru several gears with it. I've shifted all the way into 4th with it.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Launch control is enabled in any of the 5 PTM modes, when the steering wheel is straight and the clutch pedal is depressed.

And NO, the Chevy Cobalt does not have this feature.

With Launch control you can do full throttle shifts (as long as you have the pedal fully buried).
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Actually, the Cobalt SS does have launch control.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Actually, the Cobalt SS does have launch control.
Mea Culpa. Not a Cobalt expert.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad ZR1
really?!?!? that sucks...oh well, thanks
He is obviously kidding. I don't know specifically if that is a programmed feature with ptm. Some have said that it is but I have not actually tried it. I will say that you can power shift ( no lift shift ) any manual especially the ZR1 since it has a rev limiter. I'm pretty sure the guys that have ran the best times on the strip have power shifted. I would not do it a lot though unless you're racing someone on the track or trying for a good ET since it is harder on the tranny, rearend, and clutch.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timvette7
He is obviously kidding. I don't know specifically if that is a programmed feature with ptm. Some have said that it is but I have not actually tried it. I will say that you can power shift ( no lift shift ) any manual especially the ZR1 since it has a rev limiter. I'm pretty sure the guys that have ran the best times on the strip have power shifted. I would not do it a lot though unless you're racing someone on the track or trying for a good ET since it is harder on the tranny, rearend, and clutch.
Pretty sure he's not kidding obviously, i've been racing all my life i know what powershifting is and how it works, what i was asking was what mode you have to be in to activate "no lift shift mode" on the ZR1
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Pretty sure he's not kidding obviously, i've been racing all my life i know what powershifting is and how it works, what i was asking was what mode you have to be in to activate "no lift shift mode" on the ZR1
Any one of the 5 PTM settings. Steering wheel straight. At a standing stop. Clutch in, bury the throttle. LC will hold rpms just above 4k. Do a swift clutch release, keep throttle buried and you can do no lift shifts as you hang on (assuming the oversized grin doesn't blur your vision).
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Any one of the 5 PTM settings. Steering wheel straight. At a standing stop. Clutch in, bury the throttle. LC will hold rpms just above 4k. Do a swift clutch release, keep throttle buried and you can do no lift shifts as you hang on (assuming the oversized grin doesn't blur your vision).
thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
CitationZ06@yahoo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does it do if you have a slow shift? Does it just hold redline without hitting revlimitor and droping boost? Does it hit revlimitor?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CitationZ06@yahoo
What does it do if you have a slow shift? Does it just hold redline without hitting revlimitor and droping boost? Does it hit revlimitor?

Never tried that. But assuming you keep the throttle buried I presume it manages the rpm just like a quick shift.

The is key is to not lift. If you lift any at all, your are then out of LC mode.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 AM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't trying to be condesending or trying to imply you knew nothing about power shifting. I was was just using it as the phrase instead of no lift shifting. Sorry I wasn't able to answer your question for I wasn't sure about that function in the PTM. I have heard others talking about that function but I have never read or seen anything from General Motors talking about the no lift shift function.

Get notified of new replies

To No lift shifting?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,995 Likes on 5,365 Posts

As always RTFM.

Here is the description of Launch Control from the 2010 Owner's Manual:
Launch Control
A Launch Control feature is available, within Competitive Driving Mode (except ZR1) or Performance Traction Management (ZR1), on vehicles with a manual transmission to allow the driver to achieve high levels of vehicle acceleration in a straight line. Launch Control is a form of traction control that manages tire spin while launching the vehicle. This feature is intended for use during closed course race events where consistent zero to sixty and quarter mile times are desirable.

Launch Control is only available when the following criteria are met:
• Competitive Driving Mode is selected (except ZR1) or any of the Performance Traction Management modes are selected (ZR1). The TCS light comes on the instrument panel and the appropriate DIC message displays.
• The vehicle is not moving.
• The steering wheel is pointing straight.
• The clutch is pressed and the vehicle is in first gear.
• The accelerator pedal is rapidly applied to wide open throttle.

The Launch Control feature will initially limit engine speed as the driver rapidly applies the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle. A smooth, quick release of the clutch, while maintaining the fully pressed accelerator pedal, will manage wheel slip. Complete shifts as described in Manual Transmission Operation on page 3-31. After the vehicle is launched, the system continues in Competitive Mode (except ZR1) or Performance Traction Management (ZR1).

Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control are systems designed for a closed course race track and not intended for use on public roads. The systems are not intended to compensate for lack of driver experience or familiarity with the race track.

Bill
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As always RTFM.

Launch Control
A Launch Control feature is available, within Competitive Driving Mode (except ZR1) or Performance Traction Management (ZR1), on vehicles with a manual transmission to allow the driver to achieve high levels of vehicle acceleration in a straight line. Launch Control is a form of traction control that manages tire spin while launching the vehicle. This feature is intended for use during closed course race events where consistent zero to sixty and quarter mile times are desirable.

• Competitive Driving Mode is selected (except ZR1) or any of the Performance Traction Management modes are selected (ZR1). The TCS light comes on the instrument panel and the appropriate DIC message displays.

The Launch Control feature will initially limit engine speed as the driver rapidly applies the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle. A smooth, quick release of the clutch, while maintaining the fully pressed accelerator pedal, will manage wheel slip. Complete shifts as described in Manual Transmission Operation on page 3-31. After the vehicle is launched, the system continues in Competitive Mode (except ZR1) or Performance Traction Management (ZR1).

Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control are systems designed for a closed course race track and not intended for use on public roads. The systems are not intended to compensate for lack of driver experience or familiarity with the race track.

Bill
So,no no-lift shift...correct? I don't have a ZR1,so I can't refer to my owners manual on this one.

You would think if it did,GM would have made some mention of it along the line somewhere.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
As always RTFM.

Launch Control

Bill
rtfm??? the manual said nothing about once you lift your foot off the throttle that it disables the no lift shift feature unlike someone else pointed out, so reading the manual is useless

Quick Reply: [ZR1] No lift shifting?