Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Road & Track - ZR1 vs. C6.R

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by robert 2000
Completely

then they give the 1st 2nd place honors to cars that cost double the price... I just about quit reading all that nonsense
exactly!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timvette7
I not so sure that the C6R will out accerlate the ZR1. The current GT2 car has 470 horsepower which at 2700 pounds it puts the pounds per horspower at around 5.74. The ZR1 at 3300 pounds comes in at around 5.17 pounds per horspower. This is calculated without the driver so I know that will come into play. Also, I understand that the C6r can change the gearing to make acceleration optimal and of course have race tires but I think if you put drag radials on the ZR1 and put it on good prep drag strip with somebody like Kyle Lemish driving the ZR1 may come out on top. It doesn't really matter but would be cool to see.
They make more than 470. I would estimate 550-575 flywheel HP, given the new cylinder heads and direct injection. The performance of those cars does not equate to 400-420 rwhp, which is your 470 hp claimed.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:56 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
They make more than 470. I would estimate 550-575 flywheel HP, given the new cylinder heads and direct injection. The performance of those cars does not equate to 400-420 rwhp, which is your 470 hp claimed.
According to corvetteracing.com the GT2 C6.R uses a 6.0 liter engine making 470 horsepower at 4800 rpm and 535 ib/ ft of torque at4500 rpm. I am not an expert on the C6.R but this coming from their website. I would not think they could fudge the numbers either since it is a sanctioned racing series. Maybe the info they have posted is wrong.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Fizzex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MARK'S C5TT
On a roadcourse, turns and braking rule
Maximizing time on throttle, especially on a straight, thus braking as late as possible is what you're referring to. But the fact is, it's still a straight. It's very difficult to gain or make up time in turns, but easy to lose it. And the better a car can accelerate when exiting a corner means it will get to its highest speed on that straight sooner and thus be there for a longer period of time.

I'm quite familiar with Sebring. Think of it as having 10 straights over its 3.7 miles. It's not a tight course, but it's bumpy. And remember, a straight can be a very short section of track between two turns or even bends, which themselves can often be 'straightened' out depending on line.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by timvette7
According to corvetteracing.com the GT2 C6.R uses a 6.0 liter engine making 470 horsepower at 4800 rpm and 535 ib/ ft of torque at4500 rpm. I am not an expert on the C6.R but this coming from their website. I would not think they could fudge the numbers either since it is a sanctioned racing series. Maybe the info they have posted is wrong.
They use a 5.5L engine now and it's supposedly restricted to 500bhp as stated in the article. Not sure how long that drag race was or the gearing in the C6R trans at the time, but the fact that it is much lighter helps it accelerate much quicker off the line and it's shift speeds are twice as fast as humanly possible by even Kyle. With that being said the article did mention that the ZR1 made up a 10mph deficit on the long straight(Section E in the datalog) closing a 15mph deficit to just 5 mph difference from corner to corner, so that indicates to me a roll race would favor a ZR1 over a C6R.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:47 PM
timvette7
Instructor

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
They use a 5.5L engine now and it's supposedly restricted to 500bhp as stated in the article. Not sure how long that drag race was or the gearing in the C6R trans at the time, but the fact that it is much lighter helps it accelerate much quicker off the line and it's shift speeds are twice as fast as humanly possible by even Kyle. With that being said the article did mention that the ZR1 made up a 10mph deficit on the long straight(Section E in the datalog) closing a 15mph deficit to just 5 mph difference from corner to corner, so that indicates to me a roll race would favor a ZR1 over a C6R.
Ok. Thanks for the info. I know that the C6 R can of course shift faster but I would still like to see what ETs it would turn. I would guess about 11 seconds , maybe high 10s.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
According to the article, the ZR1 had the PDE option, it was 95lb heavier than the Z06 and it was slower than the Z06 with Z07.

Why? 133hp isn't enough to overcome the 95lb deficit? Spring Mountain isn't that tight of a course.

Not looking for a "fight" here, just curious, really.
It's nose heavy 52/48 verse 50/50 for the z06. The z06 had the PDE option as well with cup tires.
z51vett
Old 03-13-2012, 03:42 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Zr1s are fast cars but not so light. My old 02 z which is heavily modded for track use easily spanks new z06s and zr1s on track days. It is lighter, has more hp, and very sticky slicks. Large radiator and oil coolers allow it to run cool so as to not loose hp. It is fun to **** off guys who think they have the fastest around 'cause some magazine says so. I want a zr1 anyway because it is such a civilized car for as fast as it is.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Werks
The "so called current Le Mans driver" as you put it is Tommy Milner, the "so called" last winner of Le Mans in a Corvette. So contrary to what you might believe (or seem to be insinuating) he can wheel a car. I was just at Spring Mountain 2 weeks ago and believe it or not if you take the time to speak to the instructors most of them indicate that they also prefer the Z06's over the ZR1 on the track. The reason being is that it is lighter, slightly more nimble and easier to drive (because it is not overpowered). The results are the results and as they say when the clock comes out the BS walks. So setting your ego aside (and your $20k) it is slower around that track. If you want to run a wide open road race then the added HP of the ZR1 will probably put it in the front, on that track on that day it did not.
I've got a ZR1, I had a Z06. There is no doubt in my mind that the ZR1 is harder to drive. The power is very difficult to control and it is heavier. I would guess more than 95# too, maybe that was an option thing.

The moment they decided to release the Z06 with the ZR1 brakes and cf, the ZR1 was headed to a tough match. Light weight beats HP on most tracks.

However, in the real world, the driver will make the difference in who wins between these two cars. PERIOD. You put a good driver in one and an avg driver in the other and the good driver will win, whichever car he/she is driving.

That all said, I wouldn't trade my ZR1 for a Z06. Well, maybe a maxed out 2012 Z06....

Last edited by Tom Steele; 03-13-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Bold
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't believe what I'm reading. The ZR1 does not run with a C6R.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Road & Track - ZR1 vs. C6.R