Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] info on 08 2LZ passenger seats??

Old 03-10-2012, 06:23 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default info on 08 2LZ passenger seats??

I bought the JWS motoring repair kits for the seats and have run into something interesting on the passenger seat.
When I took the seat apart, there is a jute pad with two pieces of semi hard plastic sandwiching a soft plastic piece that has what looks like air channels in it. There is a line running from the center of this soft plastic seat running down where it connects to a plug that has wires coming out of it but there are no wires running up to the soft plastic piece. Does anyone know what this piece is?
This is on an 08 2LZ that only has a manual passenger seat. And yes it has heated seats and there are some wires leading to the top of the seat just like there was on the drivers side. The drivers side did not have the sandwiched plastic pieces.

Pictures when I can.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 03-10-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:26 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

I think I answered my own question. It appears to be the weight sensing apparatus that is used to determine if someone is sitting in the passenger seat. Further investigation tells me it is filled with some kind of liquid, glycerin maybe? And tracking the fitting down shows a tag with an airbag symbol on it so that has to be what it is, a weight sensing device connected to a pressure switch.

So, can I put the jute pad above this? Between the sensor and the foam?
Will it still sense enough weight to turn the airbag on and off?
Thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

I wouldn't install the jute pad since the seat already has one. When you get the seat back together again do some checking to make sure the passenger presences sensor is still calibrated correctly. Not sure what the exact weight turns on the air bag but I think it is around 60 to 70 lbs. The dealer has a way to use the Tech 2 to rezero the sensor and the service manual recommends calibration any time the sensor is removed from the seat.

Here are the service manual instructions:
Passenger Presence System Rezeroing
Introduction
The Inflatable Restraints Passenger Presence System (PPS) is a calibrated system that requires rezeroing anytime the seat cushion trim attachments have been removed or the PPS has been replaced. The procedures below are designed to assist in the rezeroing of the PPS. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely. For further information regarding the PPS refer to SIR System Description and Operation .

Important: The following procedures must be followed:

Read this procedure carefully and completely.
The PPS will not function properly if the PPS rezeroing procedure is not performed.
Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle after successfully completing the rezeroing procedure to ensure the system is functioning properly.
Passenger Presence System (PPS) Rezeroing Procedure
Important: Before rezeroing the PPS, the front passenger seat must be completely empty of all items. The presence of any items on the front passenger seat will affect the calibration and operation of the PPS.

Important: When rezeroing the PPS, the instrument panel cluster (IPC) and dash lights will begin dimming ON and FF. This is normal operation during the rezeroing procedure and does not indicate additional system faults.

Empty the front outboard passenger seat.
Verify that all SIR and PPS components, connectors, and connector position assurances (CPAs) are properly connected and mounted.
Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Important: All SIR and PPS DTCs must be cleared before rezeroing the PPS. The presence of current or history DTCs will prevent the PPS from rezeroing and may set additional DTCs.

Use the scan tool in order to clear the SIR and PPS DTCs.
With a scan tool, request the PPS rezeroing procedure.
Initiate the PPS rezeroing procedure. The PPS will illuminate both PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF indicators until the rezeroing procedure has been completed.
• When the rezeroing procedure has been successfully completed, the PPS will display the current system status by using either the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON or OFF indicator.

• If the rezeroing procedure was unsuccessful, both PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF indicators will alternate from no illumination to full illumination in 1 second intervals for 5 seconds. The PPS will treat an unsuccessful rezero attempt as a system fault.

If the rezeroing procedure was unsuccessful, repeat this procedure. Due to the communication status between the SDM and the PPS module, this procedure may have to be repeated until a successful rezero attempt has been achieved.
After the PPS has been successfully rezeroed, perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle.

Bill
Old 03-10-2012, 07:31 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Good info Bill, thanks so much.

Get notified of new replies

To info on 08 2LZ passenger seats??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] info on 08 2LZ passenger seats??