Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] VIDEO- ZR1 Standing Mile and Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Comments about the weight is a cheap dig at Matt and have no real meaningful impact on a test like this. Grow up and focus on the actual content and video. He is taking out the king of Corvettes onto one of the toughest acceleration/speed challenges possible. Focusing on his weight and posting disparaging remarks are cheap shots and just plain tacky.

Matt and his team produce some of the best videos available for us to view online. Matt has some real character to him unlike the hosts of most car shows and his thought process around how he feels about cars and why are all very interesting. Instead of just saying its 'good' or 'bad', he provides very meaningful context. I appreciate what he does and the insight he provides in each of his videos. He talks to us like a true enthusiast would, he just 'gets it'.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Comments about the weight is a cheap dig at Matt and have no real meaningful impact on a test like this.
No kidding. I hope no one here injures their back and can't exercise for months on end like what happened with Matt. If you do, please post pictures so we can all make comments on your weight gain as well.

The simple fact of the matter is: Matt's mass had nothing at all to do with him missing his speed goal. Vehicular mass is important for things like off-the-line acceleration, braking, and handling. Once the speeds breech triple digits, mass doesn't matter.

Aero and horsepower do. Period. End of statement. Any argument counter to those two points shows a complete lack of understanding of top speed runs and car performance.

I appreciate what he does and the insight he provides in each of his videos. He talks to us like a true enthusiast would, he just 'gets it'.
Agreed. I don't always agree with what he says, but he does so concisely and on target. And in a language us "car guys" can understand.

jas
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Someone should have told Matt the launch doesn't matter. Just walk it off the line and then go all out after 2cnd gear and you'll run the exact same speed. Stock GTRs do not in any reality run 179 especially 2010s. they run more like 165. My Zr1 ran 175 here in Texas as well. Seems like a standard speed for them. Takes a lot of hp to run 180+. For reference my headers, tune, filter was faster than my ZR1 by 3 mph. Kinda crazy. His runs were just fine. His shifting was sufficient as well. A little less weight on his part would have likely made no difference or very little. He did about what stock Zr1 usually runs. On a good day at sea level with good air they run 180. For reference the day I ran 175 there were two modified ZR1s at the track and both ran 182-184.

Last edited by 355Spider; 01-18-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
In the video - I noted that one of the time keepers said the GTR did 180, and the zr1 driver said it was a female --

3 things to take away.

1. the zr1 driver was using launch control - it really sounded like it was bogging and stuttering with launch control on the take off.
2. The zr1 driver could not quite get the shifting down - These c6's are a little tough to get the feel of the shifter
3. he looked as though he was a larger more portley man at 235 to 250lbs or more

if the GTR driver was in fact a female - she weighed at least 100-125 lbs less.

Put a 150lb driver in the zr1 that could shift and launch WITHOUT launch control and I bet the ZR1 could have hit 180+. I really think launch control with a heavier guy that could not get the hang of the shifter was why we weren't seeing 180mph.
^^this, although he does not take kindly to pointing out these flaws
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 05dsom
this, although he does not take kindly to pointing out these flaws
Because those "flaws" that were pointed out were incorrect. Matt only used LC a couple of times if I remember correctly. As 355 correctly pointed out: the launch doesn't really matter for a 1 mile run. Neither does Matt's weight. Folks have just got to get over that ignorance.

jas
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Because those "flaws" that were pointed out were incorrect. Matt only used LC a couple of times if I remember correctly. As 355 correctly pointed out: the launch doesn't really matter for a 1 mile run. Neither does Matt's weight. Folks have just got to get over that ignorance.

jas
so if weight doesn't matter, why do we pay $$ for all that carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium? I really don't care if he weighs 150 or 250, but you cannot say that it doesn't matter. If that were true then aren't lb/hp numbers are irrelevant?
Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comments about the weight is a cheap dig at Matt and have no real meaningful impact on a test like this. Grow up and focus on the actual content and video. He is taking out the king of Corvettes onto one of the toughest acceleration/speed challenges possible. Focusing on his weight and posting disparaging remarks are cheap shots and just plain tacky.

Matt and his team produce some of the best videos available for us to view online. Matt has some real character to him unlike the hosts of most car shows and his thought process around how he feels about cars and why are all very interesting. Instead of just saying its 'good' or 'bad', he provides very meaningful context. I appreciate what he does and the insight he provides in each of his videos. He talks to us like a true enthusiast would, he just 'gets it'.

I have always enjoyed his vids. He has way more passion for cars than many other host.

Keep making the vids and shake the haters. Lou once said that the closer you are to the top, the more haters you have.

Matt can swing by and drive any of our cars anytime.

Last edited by Bobby @ LG Motorsports; 01-20-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 05dsom
so if weight doesn't matter, why do we pay $$ for all that carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium? I really don't care if he weighs 150 or 250, but you cannot say that it doesn't matter. If that were true then aren't lb/hp numbers are irrelevant?
Read my post from a couple of days ago. Mass matters for handling. Mass matters for accelerating out of a corner. Mass matters for braking. When you're talking about speeds in the triple digits, mass DOESN'T MATTER! Aero and HP do.

When the car can break it's rear tires free during a 3 to 4 shift, there's no amount of weight loss you can do to make the car faster.

jas
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jvp
Read my post from a couple of days ago. Mass matters for handling. Mass matters for accelerating out of a corner. Mass matters for braking. When you're talking about speeds in the triple digits, mass DOESN'T MATTER! Aero and HP do.

When the car can break it's rear tires free during a 3 to 4 shift, there's no amount of weight loss you can do to make the car faster.

jas
well what about the time to get to triple digits, that should be less for the lighter car, then once there aero drag and hp equal things out?

I tried to research this online but most references are for terminal velocity/top speed not the acceleration to a given distance or speed.

http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=14909
Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSmokingTire
Matt's daily driver is a Ford Raptor and a C5 Corvette, with lightweight Sparco seats which hold him just fine.

I (Zack) am 5'11", 175 lbs, about 11% body fat, and also found the ZR1 seats to be lacking lateral support. So does pretty much every journalist ever, for the last 15 years. Corvette seats are notoriously bad, soft and flat. When I drove the ZR1 I never felt as locked in as I did in a BMW M3, Mercedes C63, or even the more pedestrian E350 diesel.

Matt addressed the speed here. http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2011/l...say-this-once/
Sorry, explain to us why you need to be "locked in" to make a straight line pass ??
Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 711 Likes on 470 Posts

Quick Reply: [ZR1] VIDEO- ZR1 Standing Mile and Review