Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Corvette ZR1
General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
Bill Stasek

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
TheSmokingTire
Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: Jan 2010
Location: Playa Del Rey CA
The Smoking Tire @TheSmokingTire
Default

It can run faster under better conditions.
TheSmokingTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
TheVettePirate
CF Senior Member
 
TheVettePirate's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Hiram GA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingTire View Post
It can run faster under better conditions.
The forum members that ran 180+ didn't do it on the same day at the same track under the exact same conditions that Matt ran the mile.
TheVettePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #23
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
OnPoint's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Wichita Kansas - 2011 Callaway GS 606HP & 2010 ZR1 638HP
Default

Yup. Conditions are key, as they have a big impact.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #24
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Default

All I'll say that if you watch the video you will see how sloppy the shifting was. That car, that day could've run faster. I think the announcer's mouth certainly ran fast... Maybe a little diet would also help.
range96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #25
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Chesterfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by range96 View Post
All I'll say that if you watch the video you will see how sloppy the shifting was. That car, that day could've run faster. I think the announcer's mouth certainly ran fast... Maybe a little diet would also help.



He is calling us A$$holes and telling us to listen up. He does make a couple of good points regarding another test with a lighter driver running slower at lower altitude.

I suggest a cruise in the 1000 dollar 1973 Eldo, with a pit stop at hooters for a big bucket of low Calorie wings and pitcher of beer and everything will be all better.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Mr. Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #26
tomsws6
CF Senior Member
 
tomsws6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: dover Delaware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post


He is calling us A$$holes and telling us to listen up. He does make a couple of good points regarding another test with a lighter driver running slower at lower altitude.


http://www.thesmokingtire.com/

Haha, just read the review on his site.

Matt, if you are reading this I think you didnt to do to bad considering you dont drive the Z often. So hopping in a Zr1 and running it down the mile at 176ish is pretty good driving. But..........I do have to disagree with you on one point. You stated that even at sea level the ZR1 will not hit 180 stock. That is incorrect. There have been a few ZR1's to hit 180 in the mile stock. on this site there is a ZR1 fast list and it has the details. I will post it for you to check out. Also for yoru viewing purposes in that list you will also see the ZR1 going 10's stock in the 1/4.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fast-list.html
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
LEAVINU
CF Senior Member

 
LEAVINU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Sugar Hill GA
Lamarwaldenautomotive
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp View Post
Two things are potentially at play here:

1. He lifted, even if just by a hair, at some point during the acceleration. Doing so will knock the car out of no-lift-shift mode.

Or...

2. The Corvette doesn't really have a no-lift-shift mode. I keep hearing a lot about it, but no one from GM (that I'm aware) has actually stepped up and said, "Yes, we added no-lift-shift to the Corvette." As Matt may remember because he was with John Heinricy in the CTS-V a couple of years ago at Monticello: no-lift-shift was designed first and foremost by HPVO for the V. John demonstrated it while he and Matt were on the track. I haven't seen a similar demonstration or announcement from GM for the Vette.

If GM has stated it's in the Corvette officially, then I apologize. I've just never read it.

jas

My guess is he lifted sometime during the launch just barely. This is a natural reaction for most in order to gain traction but in this case it deactivated the LC as designed I believe.
LEAVINU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #28
Jimmy Z
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Jimmy Z's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2009
Location: Chamblee Ga
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINU View Post
My guess is he lifted sometime during the launch just barely. This is a natural reaction for most in order to gain traction but in this case it deactivated the LC as designed I believe.
I believe you are right........
Jimmy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #29
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Chesterfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
Haha, just read the review on his site.

Matt, if you are reading this I think you didnt to do to bad considering you dont drive the Z often. So hopping in a Zr1 and running it down the mile at 176ish is pretty good driving. But..........I do have to disagree with you on one point. You stated that even at sea level the ZR1 will not hit 180 stock. That is incorrect. There have been a few ZR1's to hit 180 in the mile stock. on this site there is a ZR1 fast list and it has the details. I will post it for you to check out. Also for yoru viewing purposes in that list you will also see the ZR1 going 10's stock in the 1/4.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fast-list.html
If Matt was running a 2012 - I believe those had a change in gear ratios for 5th and 6th gear for better fuel mileage that might be the difference between 175 to 176 mph runs versus the 180 mph runs in the 2009 2010's out there.
Mr. Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #30
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post
If Matt was running a 2012 - I believe those had a change in gear ratios for 5th and 6th gear for better fuel mileage that might be the difference between 175 to 176 mph runs versus the 180 mph runs in the 2009 2010's out there.
He ran a 2011, so stated in his comments. A 2012 would have barely run a 155. );
range96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #31
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo View Post


He is calling us A$$holes and telling us to listen up. He does make a couple of good points regarding another test with a lighter driver running slower at lower altitude.

I suggest a cruise in the 1000 dollar 1973 Eldo, with a pit stop at hooters for a big bucket of low Calorie wings and pitcher of beer and everything will be all better.

http://www.thesmokingtire.com/
He didn't just call us A$$holes, he said this: "Any a$$holes can post up some dumb YouTube comment. In fact, for every one thoughtful comment I see there are at least 50 more written by University of Phoenix online rejects, people with 5th grade reading and writing levels, and f***ing morons."

I still think he's fat. Maybe he just couldn't see well with his "sunglasses" to be able to shift right.
range96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #32
Mr. Gizmo
CF Senior Member
 
Mr. Gizmo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Chesterfield MO
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by range96 View Post
He didn't just call us A$$holes, he said this: "Any a$$holes can post up some dumb YouTube comment. In fact, for every one thoughtful comment I see there are at least 50 more written by University of Phoenix online rejects, people with 5th grade reading and writing levels, and f***ing morons."

I still think he's fat. Maybe he just couldn't see well with his "sunglasses" to be able to shift right.
Well then he needs to switch from hooters fried wings to non-fried wings and light beer. - His speed & blood pressure will improve too

That poor Zr1 looked like it was driving lower on the left driver side. That could have effected aerodynamics.

But what do us F-ing morons know. Calling followers of his website(which is actually pretty good) and potential business partners F-ing morons is the disposition of a mental midget.
Mr. Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
teds427
CF Senior Member
 
teds427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Poway California
Default

Here is the video of my 09 ZR1 from the first Mohave mile in March of2010, again 176.5MPH.
Use the arrow and jump to the 1 minute mark for the start of the run and turn up the sound,
thats the track anouncer over the radio.
http://sharing.theflip.com/session/7...ideo/125148591
I could stand to lose some LBS myself duce fifteen
teds427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #34
tomsws6
CF Senior Member
 
tomsws6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: dover Delaware
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by range96 View Post
He ran a 2011, so stated in his comments. A 2012 would have barely run a 155. );
HAHA your probably right on that one. lol
tomsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
gnx7
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2003
Location: San Francisco California
Default

Aero plays probably the biggest factor in the 1 mile shootout stuff.
Mojave when we ran last year was 5,000ft DA. Not sure what Texas was at the previous location but very close to sea level. Breeze affects top speed a few mph. Temperature for us didn't seem to be as big of a deal.

Here are 2 drivers in the same car making about 650rwhp (4psi). I'm driving first like Ms. Daisy and my buddy (who owns it) is 2nd. The driving styles are very different.... it was only a 2-3mph difference in the end. Wind could've been the factor as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5hBdmpr2M

Removing mirrors is worth 2-3mph. Taping the gap between your hood and the windshield is worth another 1-2 mph. Lowering your car and running a smaller front tire is another factor.

In the spring we plan to return to Mojave again with the opportunity to turn it up another 300rwhp (950rwhp) and see what the car can really do. It's still an RX-7 with a forged single turbo LS9 now and MAST LS3 CnC'd heads/production LS3 intake.
__________________
FD RX-7: LS7/T56 Magnum, Cobra 8.8" IRS diff, Ohlins, Racing Brake BBK, Forgelines 315/335's 2800lbs/575rwhp.
Streetable road race toy 10.32@137mph 165mph Shift Sector 1/2 mile shootout
196mph TX Mile with n/a 440ci RX-7
204mph Mojave Mile turbo LS3 RX-7 (4psi)

Last edited by gnx7; 12-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
gnx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #36
rpm94
CF Senior Member
 
rpm94's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Columbus Ohio
Default

He needs to go on a radical diet, shed a few pounds, and try again.
rpm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #37
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
CF Senior Member
 
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2006
Location: EDMONTON ALBERTA
Default

Diet would be number 1 in my books, learning to shift gears would also help, and you dare call the ZR1's seat lacking support? really it seems to me the way you were wedge in there like a sardine would have been enough support. let me guess what's your daily driver? a stang? you made the car look bad, really bad.
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
TheSmokingTire
Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: Jan 2010
Location: Playa Del Rey CA
The Smoking Tire @TheSmokingTire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN4x42000 View Post
Diet would be number 1 in my books, learning to shift gears would also help, and you dare call the ZR1's seat lacking support? really it seems to me the way you were wedge in there like a sardine would have been enough support. let me guess what's your daily driver? a stang? you made the car look bad, really bad.
Matt's daily driver is a Ford Raptor and a C5 Corvette, with lightweight Sparco seats which hold him just fine.

I (Zack) am 5'11", 175 lbs, about 11% body fat, and also found the ZR1 seats to be lacking lateral support. So does pretty much every journalist ever, for the last 15 years. Corvette seats are notoriously bad, soft and flat. When I drove the ZR1 I never felt as locked in as I did in a BMW M3, Mercedes C63, or even the more pedestrian E350 diesel.

Matt addressed the speed here. http://www.thesmokingtire.com/2011/l...say-this-once/
TheSmokingTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #39
upcominZ
CF Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Default

Funny how they mentioned the female driven gtr finishing at a higher speed.
upcominZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #40
TheSmokingTire
Supporting Vendor
 
Member Since: Jan 2010
Location: Playa Del Rey CA
The Smoking Tire @TheSmokingTire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcominZ View Post
Funny how they mentioned the female driven gtr finishing at a higher speed.
I think the announcer messed that one up, and got his GTRs confused. The girl in the stock GTR ran a bit slower than the ZR1. Her best was a 175.3. The faster GTR was not stock, and its best was 180.

The complete results are here.
TheSmokingTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1
Reload this Page VIDEO- ZR1 Standing Mile and Review
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
180, 2012, c4, corvette, cts, ctsv, gtr, lift, locked, lowerd, mile, mph, shift, smokin, standing, tire, youtube, zr1


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2