Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Steering wheel vibration

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM
ZR1Tallman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel vibration

Just bought a White ZR-1, and noticed a slight shimmey in the steering wheel at 70 mph and up. Took it back to the Dealer said they fixed it. Went to a performance tire shop they told me the right front tire was out of round. Put new tires on the front after load balancing and still have the shimmey. Checked the front and rear alignment minor adjustments better but still not shimmy free. Has anyone else been thru this problem on a new ZR1 ? What fixed it ?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Read all about it in this sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...on-issues.html
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
ZR1Tallman
Heel & Toe

range96 Thanks. I will ask for new rotors. That seems like the solution. Makes sense too. Apreciate your help.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,199 Posts

Good luck with that. You're likely get a run around with that.

Let us know the outcome.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

There is also a current thread on this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-new-post.html
Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Tallman
Just bought a White ZR-1, and noticed a slight shimmey in the steering wheel at 70 mph and up. Took it back to the Dealer said they fixed it. Went to a performance tire shop they told me the right front tire was out of round. Put new tires on the front after load balancing and still have the shimmey. Checked the front and rear alignment minor adjustments better but still not shimmy free. Has anyone else been thru this problem on a new ZR1 ? What fixed it ?
You are just one of many. Good luck with getting it fixed. GM is still not owning up to exactly how to fix the problem. It's hit or miss and you might get lucky or not on reducing the vibration to your satisfaction through your local dealer.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by range96
Good luck with that. You're likely get a run around with that.

Let us know the outcome.
Keep us posted And congrats on the new Beast I've added your thread link to the list so you can update here or there~

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 11-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
ZR1Tallman
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
Keep us posted And congrats on the new Beast I've added your thread link to the list so you can update here or there~
The Dealer has another ZR1 I am going to see about driving it. If it has no shimmey I am going to ask for the rotors to be put on my car. Then we will know for sure the deal. After buying 2 new front tires having them balanced for the race track and front and rear aligned by a 3rd part I know is not wheels and tires. The problem is minimal but my VW doesn't do it. I respect what youall have done, too, but for a car that is otherwise perfect this needs to get resolved. I had a 2010 over 1 1/2 yeaqrs ago that didn't do this. I paid full sticker for that one. ....Maybe if I gice GM more money it would fix itself LOL.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:49 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1Tallman
The Dealer has another ZR1 I am going to see about driving it. If it has no shimmey I am going to ask for the rotors to be put on my car. Then we will know for sure the deal. After buying 2 new front tires having them balanced for the race track and front and rear aligned by a 3rd part I know is not wheels and tires. The problem is minimal but my VW doesn't do it. I respect what youall have done, too, but for a car that is otherwise perfect this needs to get resolved. I had a 2010 over 1 1/2 yeaqrs ago that didn't do this. I paid full sticker for that one. ....Maybe if I gice GM more money it would fix itself LOL.
Not for sure??? This problem could be far more complex than that. Suppose that the problem is still there after switching the rotors. It is also possible that when you put the rotors back on the other car, if that were to occur, the vibration might become evident there when it wasn't there before.

If this thing were the product of one variable, I believe a universal solution could have been developed by now, but of all the solutions I have read about, there doesn't seem to be a common denominator.

The fixes appear circumstantial and seemingly independent of one another, and they don't always fix the problem 100%.

Last edited by pcguy2u; 11-23-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: lousy typing
Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 PM
ZR1Tallman
Heel & Toe

Now I am depressed....just got done getting the film done on the car. I can go get rocks all over it just drive on I285 Atlanta.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
rhipsher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the moral of the story is to keep test driving them until you find one that doesnt have an issue. Then buy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Steering wheel vibration