Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Nope. Reached my breaking point late this summer and said enough is enough. That one single issue single handedly drained all the joy out of owning that car for me.
Same here. I had a C6 ZR1 for 3 years and 11,000 miles. Dealership replaced 3 rotors and 2 tires and did multiple road-force balances with no luck. GM flew in their "expert" from Detroit who spent a full day working on my car at the dealership. He left with no fix saying that "it's a characteristic of the car's drivetrain". Loved the car, but I could not take the vibration at highway speeds. I currently have a C7 Z06 with steel brakes and love it.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mjcourt
Same here. I had a C6 ZR1 for 3 years and 11,000 miles. Dealership replaced 3 rotors and 2 tires and did multiple road-force balances with no luck. GM flew in their "expert" from Detroit who spent a full day working on my car at the dealership. He left with no fix saying that "it's a characteristic of the car's drivetrain". Loved the car, but I could not take the vibration at highway speeds. I currently have a C7 Z06 with steel brakes and love it.
I feel ya man. It is such a shame too, cause it's such a great car otherwise.

As I stated previously, I flirted with the idea of spending around $2K and just putting on steel rotors and Z06 calipers, but then just said no this is stupid. It's devalues the car and you basically have a souped up Z06 at that point. The CC rotors are always a huge hit at car shows and with enthusiasts, save for the obvious reason being the performance. If they go, I've lost a lot of interest in the car as it becomes too much of a frankenstein, and can already hear all of the accusations that i'm dressing my Z06 up like a ZR1 instead of the other way around.

Said it at least a dozen times now...shame on you GM stand by your flagship model, for God's sake

Old 05-29-2023, 09:13 PM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 157 Posts

Nobody's posted in here in nearly 3 years but I thought I would add my experience.

When I got my car at 5700 miles I had a minor vibration starting at 75. I knew what it was and it didn't really bother me all that much. And it wasn't always present.

My dealer road forced balanced all 4 wheels/tires later on, which had new Michelin PSS on them at the time. That got rid of 75% of the vibration.

This was probably 7000 miles ago now. As time as gone on the vibration has disappeared entirely. And up to 186 mph at least it is smooth as glass. I have the original style rotors with no balancing holes.

They do occasionally squeak for absolutely no reason while I'm driving along not braking. Some hard stops get rid of it.

I do have an early 2010, perhaps they are validated rotors after all. And whatever vibration I had was indeed just the wheels and tires? Who knows.

Good job screwing over many people Brembo, including but not limited to ZR1, Ferrari, McLaren, and Aston Martin owners.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:25 AM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteFan1953
Nobody's posted in here in nearly 3 years but I thought I would add my experience.

When I got my car at 5700 miles I had a minor vibration starting at 75. I knew what it was and it didn't really bother me all that much. And it wasn't always present.

My dealer road forced balanced all 4 wheels/tires later on, which had new Michelin PSS on them at the time. That got rid of 75% of the vibration.

This was probably 7000 miles ago now. As time as gone on the vibration has disappeared entirely. And up to 186 mph at least it is smooth as glass. I have the original style rotors with no balancing holes.

They do occasionally squeak for absolutely no reason while I'm driving along not braking. Some hard stops get rid of it.

I do have an early 2010, perhaps they are validated rotors after all. And whatever vibration I had was indeed just the wheels and tires? Who knows.

Good job screwing over many people Brembo, including but not limited to ZR1, Ferrari, McLaren, and Aston Martin owners.
I doubt you have validated rotors. I have a 2011 and they were unbalanced. I am further back in this thread and dealt with this brand new as many other did. I predicted back then that many cars were lows miles, not driven, and many years later and second owners would be dealing with this issue as if it were a "new' issue. And here we are. What you and GM are doing is counter balancing the tire and rim to the rotor and getting it to an acceptable place. GM even tried indexing my rims after many new tires and 2 new rims. Meaning moving it over one lug nut till it vibrated less! Tire wear and or taking the rim off and not putting it back in the same orientation will result in a new vibration. This is why guys chase this, with its solved to its back again. Because its the rotors period. I played with GM for a long time and never accepted any of these "fixes". They tried everything not to change those rotors. Hub run outs, rotor runouts, several tires, 2 rims. Managers, regional managers, experts, many appointments wearing me down for almost a year. Then..........they sent an engineer from GM to the dealer. He sent rotors from Brembo to the dealer. Strict instructions to install ONLY these rotors from Brembo nothing off the shelf or stock. Well.......it was a miracle !! Perfect on first shot, never an issue again. The always knew what the issue was, they just wear everyone down. Its the rotors. I discovered tracking and CC rotors dont hold up well. I went with AP racing brakes for these last years. I am now going back to stock and have brand new rotors in the box....I almost cant bear to put them on the car! What a chunk of change. Sure do look good though. All new rotors you buy today are balanced. Buying a low mile ZR1 or Zo7 can be a very expensive lesson for someone who does not know of this issue.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:32 AM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I doubt you have validated rotors. I have a 2011 and they were unbalanced. I am further back in this thread and dealt with this brand new as many other did. I predicted back then that many cars were lows miles, not driven, and many years later and second owners would be dealing with this issue as if it were a "new' issue. And here we are. What you and GM are doing is counter balancing the tire and rim to the rotor and getting it to an acceptable place. GM even tried indexing my rims after many new tires and 2 new rims. Meaning moving it over one lug nut till it vibrated less! Tire wear and or taking the rim off and not putting it back in the same orientation will result in a new vibration. This is why guys chase this, with its solved to its back again. Because its the rotors period. I played with GM for a long time and never accepted any of these "fixes". They tried everything not to change those rotors. Hub run outs, rotor runouts, several tires, 2 rims. Managers, regional managers, experts, many appointments wearing me down for almost a year. Then..........they sent an engineer from GM to the dealer. He sent rotors from Brembo to the dealer. Strict instructions to install ONLY these rotors from Brembo nothing off the shelf or stock. Well.......it was a miracle !! Perfect on first shot, never an issue again. The always knew what the issue was, they just wear everyone down. Its the rotors. I discovered tracking and CC rotors dont hold up well. I went with AP racing brakes for these last years. I am now going back to stock and have brand new rotors in the box....I almost cant bear to put them on the car! What a chunk of change. Sure do look good though. All new rotors you buy today are balanced. Buying a low mile ZR1 or Zo7 can be a very expensive lesson for someone who does not know of this issue.

Perhaps, but no indexing was done, they just did a normal road force. The wheels only needed a couple ounces to balance out. Who knows honestly.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:01 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Originally Posted by CorvetteFan1953
Perhaps, but no indexing was done, they just did a normal road force. The wheels only needed a couple ounces to balance out. Who knows honestly.
Understood. Sounds like you may be Ok. Not all early ZR1's and Zo7's had this issue. I did always think that many were not used much early on not realizing the issue. I had literally 20 roadforce balances and a few tires and 2 rims and still had vibrations. New revised rotors completely fixed my issue. So if you were able to nail it down with a RFB then you may be all good. Low profile, wide rims and tires will pick up any imbalance and can be hard to balance on a good day, then add in the rotors. Good luck
Old 05-31-2023, 05:12 PM
CorvetteFan1953
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seamus2154
Understood. Sounds like you may be Ok. Not all early ZR1's and Zo7's had this issue. I did always think that many were not used much early on not realizing the issue. I had literally 20 roadforce balances and a few tires and 2 rims and still had vibrations. New revised rotors completely fixed my issue. So if you were able to nail it down with a RFB then you may be all good. Low profile, wide rims and tires will pick up any imbalance and can be hard to balance on a good day, then add in the rotors. Good luck
It's hard to tell what's natural vibration from having steam rollers for tires, or the shimmy people talk about. When I had my hands on the wheel you didn't feel it. How knows haha.

Needless to say I've put the front wheels on exactly where they were ever since just to be sure!
The following users liked this post:
seamus2154 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:32 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

I will be in the market for a ZR1 as this market lands...and this is the main issue I will be watching for. Having bought these rotors and pads a few times due to tracking....its not a purchase I want to make again. I know there are many fan boys of these rotors and I was always one of them. They look bad ***. But they are fragile and easliy ruined. One must be ready for this. I remember a guy who had his care professionally detailed. Detailers had sprayed all kinds on chemicals and tires greaseall over the rims and tires contaminating and ruining the rotors. Myself personally threw the serp belt, and quickly overheated trying to get to the exit. Well the coolant tank is right over drivers side tire and it blew coolant all over the rotor. Cleaned and degreased it gently...to no avail, needed replacement. I tracked these rotors for years...what a waste of money. AP racing brakes are far superior and cheaper to run. Now I am returning to street, and am shaking putting the new CC rotors back on....do love the no brake dust!!! I heard when i bought the car, indestructible, street and track, should last the life of the car.....I'm on my 4th set on rotors and problable 12 sets of pads. Yes track use. Bt not very durable. i anticipate with nice street use should last a VERY long time. But one chip, one contamination...they are toast. Shouldnt own it if you cant right a check for rotors at anytime. They look so good and have started more conversations than i can count!! LOL drive safe!
Old 06-18-2023, 10:13 PM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

I just wanted to post in here to say the fix for my vibration issue was in the front pass side eccentric bolt. I had so many alignments and road force balance. Replaced the wheel etc. The car was smooth when I got it so I knew it was possible to be smooth again.

When I was installing the Borg delrin bushing kit I noticed the rear most eccentic looked off and I had trouble getting it out. Once I did I could see it was slipping and allowing the arm to move. There were chatter impressions on the control arm and the bushing was pushing out. Now its smooth as silk at all speeds.

Check your eccentrics alignment bolts. I am now using the AMT camber kit which can not slip. I highly recommend the bork delrin bushing kit as well. I freaking love this car again.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Vibration Issues