Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] There has to be a Secret!!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:38 PM
morganjo5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There has to be a Secret!!

Talk about frustrating. I am having my door open button bezels , seat memory covers and power window covers done in carbon fiber - so I read and viewed the threads and pictures on removing the door panels. First, why the cheap plastic bolts on the inside of the door panel, that uses screw down washers that are impossible to get off - so the only way is to break them off and use small screws to refasten? But the part I am tearing my hair out on is rehanging the door panels on the metal strip that is up close and at the top of the window rubber seal. I could not get them to go on the strip, so ended up just pushing the door panel friction screws back into the retaining holes to secure the panels. I will have to take them off anyway when I install the carbon fiber pieces when they arrive.

So, my real question after venting - what is the secret to getting those damn panels on the hanging strip? I pulled out the bottom of the panel, angled it, pushed, hit the top of the panel, everything I could think off - nothing worked. Please help!!

Bruce in Arizona
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Dude you have bigger ***** than me. I would never attempt something like that. Good luck. I hope some one has an answer for you. you might want to visit an interior shop and ask them. They might do it for you for a small fee.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done this. It's tricky, just be patient and really make sure you know where the hooks are and where the ledge is to hang it on. Then just do your best to line them up. The white clips are availableble to buy on eBay. $15 for a door of clips. You don't have to break them. Study the clips and the teeth on the door they attach into and you'll see the proper way to remove and place them. It's quite easy if you do it right.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:04 PM
irishecmo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morganjo5, not to side track but did you get the Apsis CF? My Apsis interior CF / leather door parts made it in yesterday and my doors go under the knife tomorrow. I heard horror stories about do it yourself installs with removing door panels but my local shop swears it's an easy install. We'll see. In 2 days I'll post pix and any comments once I pick up the car. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:22 PM
morganjo5
Instructor

No, I am not talking about the white clips that secure the panel to the door. The cheap part is on the inside of the door panel - little plastic bolts that hold the memory seat covers and the wire mesh covers over the speakers. They are secured by a cheap hollow narrow black plastic bolt that has an tin washer that is screwed on the bolt. I could not find a way to unscrew the washer and had to break off the plastic bolt to be able to remove the interior covers from the door panels. The hollow plastic bolt has the strength of paper. I asked my local Chevy Body Shop guy what the story was and he said they were made with the idea they would never be removed.

Thanks for taking time to read and answer my thread. It just seems there is not enough space on the metal door strip (between the strip and the rubber seal to get the metal tabs on the panel to slip behind the strip) Maybe it takes two people - one to angle the panel and the other to knock the tabs in behind the strip?

Bruce in Arizona

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I've done this. It's tricky, just be patient and really make sure you know where the hooks are and where the ledge is to hang it on. Then just do your best to line them up. The white clips are availableble to buy on eBay. $15 for a door of clips. You don't have to break them. Study the clips and the teeth on the door they attach into and you'll see the proper way to remove and place them. It's quite easy if you do it right.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

When I swapped my speakers, it took me like 50 min. to get the first door off, 25 min to get it back on. The second door I had on and off in 20 min. However, I never did quite get the last metal clip all the way in either. Make sure they didn't bend. I had to straighten a few of mine & STILL couldn't get that one clip back in, so I just left it. You cannot tell whatsoever.
The plastic things need not break during door on or off if you take your time. it IS a pain though overall..Loud snapping sounds do not sound good on a $65,000 car! lol

Ron
Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
morganjo5
Instructor

Default Thanks for Reply

I had the same experience - second door panel off was a lot quicker. When you say "plastic things need not break during door on or off" I am not referring to the white clips that hold the door panel on, I agree no need to break these. It is the black hallow plastic bolts with the screwed on washers that hold the upper mesh covers over the speakers and the covers for the seat memory on the inside of the door panels.

How do you know if the taps on the door panels are bent? All mine look like they are the same shape, they just don't seem to want to go behind the metal hanging strip on the door itself. Thanks.

Bruce in Arizona

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
When I swapped my speakers, it took me like 50 min. to get the first door off, 25 min to get it back on. The second door I had on and off in 20 min. However, I never did quite get the last metal clip all the way in either. Make sure they didn't bend. I had to straighten a few of mine & STILL couldn't get that one clip back in, so I just left it. You cannot tell whatsoever.
The plastic things need not break during door on or off if you take your time. it IS a pain though overall..Loud snapping sounds do not sound good on a $65,000 car! lol

Ron
Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM
u1arunit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by morganjo5
How do you know if the taps on the door panels are bent? All mine look like they are the same shape, they just don't seem to want to go behind the metal hanging strip on the door itself.
Just install the panel by the lower serrated push clips and bang (yes bang!) the top into place with the back of your hand. It goes right on that way. Then install the screws under/behind the arm rest(s). It will not dent the panel but it sure does not feel like the right thing to do. It also helps if you have someone on the other side of the door holding it steady so it does not spring back at you while hitting the panel.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

It helps to roll the window down so you can see inside the top of the door. Place the top edge on first and make sure you have it aligned front to rear properly. Pull the lower edge out away from the door to help the top edge drop in place. Then after the top edge drops into place, press the lower plastic retainers in one by one. It helps here if you lye on the floor looking up into the panel to align the plastic retainer clips with the holes.

Like the others said, after you get the first one the second one is easy.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok I know what you're talking about. You're serviceman at the dealership was right. Those weren't meant to be taken off lol Just find some small screws to replace them with (I think you mentioned you had already done this). Good luck.

Ps. In the service manual it mentions to not remove the white clips more than a few times or they'll strip themselves.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
PKracer
Navigator

Basic constructon of most of the Chevy (espacially the interior) is that they are never meant to be taken apart. One time use only. Meant to be used and then thrown away in the end. Snap together construction.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM
reidry
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vito.A
It helps to roll the window down so you can see inside the top of the door. Place the top edge on first and make sure you have it aligned front to rear properly. Pull the lower edge out away from the door to help the top edge drop in place. Then after the top edge drops into place, press the lower plastic retainers in one by one. It helps here if you lye on the floor looking up into the panel to align the plastic retainer clips with the holes.

Like the others said, after you get the first one the second one is easy.
Roll the window down. Been there, learned that the hard way.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by morganjo5
I had the same experience - second door panel off was a lot quicker. When you say "plastic things need not break during door on or off" I am not referring to the white clips that hold the door panel on, I agree no need to break these. It is the black hallow plastic bolts with the screwed on washers that hold the upper mesh covers over the speakers and the covers for the seat memory on the inside of the door panels.

How do you know if the taps on the door panels are bent? All mine look like they are the same shape, they just don't seem to want to go behind the metal hanging strip on the door itself. Thanks.

Bruce in Arizona
I looked at them after the door panel wouldn't go back on. Tried to bend them back some but it is a strong metal. I thought I got it back on right, but it apparently was not. The 1st 2 clips on the top of the door panel closest to the rear of the car are not engaged. You can't tell, so I'm just leaving it as is....for now....

Ron
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Tomcatsbolt
Advanced

I took long tie-wraps and hooked them around the metal clips. After the lower end of the door panel was lightly attached, I pulled on each tie-wrap until the clip was in place. Then I just cut the ties and they were able to be pulled out.

Learned this after actually denting a door panel!

Get notified of new replies

To There has to be a Secret!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] There has to be a Secret!!