Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Vibration Problem-2012?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration Problem-2012?

Does anyone know if the dreaded vibration problem has been corrected for 2012? I am on my 6th ZR1 and 4 of them have had the problem......It has been a problem since the ZR1 came out in 2009........Hopefully it has been addressed and corrected.......
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Here is what I received recently from the Brand Manager for Corvette who worked on my 2010 in reference to the Wheels and Tires:

<<< We had them tested at the labs and both tires were out by road force more than we like. They were within limits but not as good as they could have been. It was though your car that we learned what we could do better. Because of what you went through the tire supplier to Bowling Green added new equipment so the tires and wheels could be match mounted to achieve a much better radial force variation. We have also went to cut to length wheel weights which makes the balance procedure more precise. If the balance machine called for a weigh of between 1/4 oz or less we did not have the ability to get a smaller weight. With the new process and new cut to length weights they can be much closer to what is required. We also learned that as the ceramic rotors wear they do not wear evenly. They stay flat but the weight changes as they wear and the rotor can actually go in and out of balance slightly as it wears. As much testing and validation as we do before we produce a car we just never seem to find all the issues until it gets in the hands of a customer.>>>

Hopefully this takes care of it. Have not heard of it occurring lately.

Six ZR1
s!!!! Are you related to Harvey Details

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 06-15-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skeetdaddy
Does anyone know if the dreaded vibration problem has been corrected for 2012? I am on my 6th ZR1 and 4 of them have had the problem......It has been a problem since the ZR1 came out in 2009........Hopefully it has been addressed and corrected.......
Sixth ZR1, you must be second only to Spring Mountain. I had no idea that we purchased disposable vehicles. One can only hope that they are fabricated from 'bio-degradeable" materials.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

No vibration issues with my 2011 ZR1. Took delivery in 2/11. I've had no problems with this car!

Last edited by 09Z06pj; 06-15-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Correct model year info
Old 06-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by barduch
Sixth ZR1, you must be second only to Spring Mountain. I had no idea that we purchased disposable vehicles. One can only hope that they are fabricated from 'bio-degradeable" materials.
guess he is trying every color in the spectrum to see which one looks the best...or he is a really horrible driver i'll wait to pass judgement,
Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
No vibration issues with my 2012 ZR1. Took delivery in 2/12. I've had no problems with this car!
Wow, you are in the future...Any hints on stocks to buy?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Probably not many '12s on the ground, and even fewer of them owned by CF members.

May take a while to see how they do in this regard.

I've been fortunate, my '10 has no such issues.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
JDRacing
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
Here is what I received recently from the Brand Manager for Corvette who worked on my 2010 in reference to the Wheels and Tires:

<<< We had them tested at the labs and both tires were out by road force more than we like. They were within limits but not as good as they could have been. It was though your car that we learned what we could do better. Because of what you went through the tire supplier to Bowling Green added new equipment so the tires and wheels could be match mounted to achieve a much better radial force variation. We have also went to cut to length wheel weights which makes the balance procedure more precise. If the balance machine called for a weigh of between 1/4 oz or less we did not have the ability to get a smaller weight. With the new process and new cut to length weights they can be much closer to what is required. We also learned that as the ceramic rotors wear they do not wear evenly. They stay flat but the weight changes as they wear and the rotor can actually go in and out of balance slightly as it wears. As much testing and validation as we do before we produce a car we just never seem to find all the issues until it gets in the hands of a customer.>>>

Hopefully this takes care of it. Have not heard of it occurring lately.

Six ZR1
s!!!! Are you related to Harvey Details
Well, the message is encouraging, if not the slaughtering he/she gave the English language.

My 2010's vibration reduced to imperceptible after about 3,000 miles, and I hadn't heard a lot of complaints from others following a few thousand miles either. Still, nice to know GM identified and attempted to address the issue.

Thanks Deb!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I'm a little disappointed here.

The letter states that it is the nature of carbon ceramic brake rotors to go in and out of balance. GM is not offering solution to that.

As far as the new tire/wheel balancing, my 2010 already has the "variable" length weight strips, so nothing new there.

The dealers are told to not "recognize" the problem. Gee, I couldn't feel any vibration.

If 3 ton pickup trucks can be perfectly smooth why can't GM's jewel of the crown be?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by range96
The letter states that it is the nature of carbon ceramic brake rotors to go in and out of balance. GM is not offering solution to that.

The dealers are told to not "recognize" the problem. Gee, I couldn't feel any vibration.
Do you have proof (a memo or quote) of GM telling their dealers to deny the problem exists in a customers car, or is that just your own private speculation?

Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Do you have proof (a memo or quote) of GM telling their dealers to deny the problem exists in a customers car, or is that just your own private speculation?

You're twisting my words. I won't start an argument with you on this. Believe what you want. I know that what GM accepts for warranty claims is a great motivator for a dealer to see or not to see a problem that is marginal.

A vibration issue is subjective (unlike a start/no start condition).

It is not a speculation.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I also have a letter from GM that states that after careful balancing the tires (and possibly indexing them to the wheels) if there is still vibration that is considered normal characteristic of the car.

In plain english: GM won't cover it under warranty.

As I said before, you can believe what you want, but these are the facts.

Before you paint me as a hater, overall, I'm very happy with my car.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Kelly100
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're twisting my words. I won't start an argument with you on this. Believe what you want. I know that what GM accepts for warranty claims is a great motivator for a dealer to see or not to see a problem that is marginal.

A vibration issue is subjective (unlike a start/no start condition).

It is not a speculation.
BM would have to be crazy to put this in writing--though I would not put it past BM to put out the word. I had the first model year of the Z06 and everyone knows what Bm tried to do to deny the problem!!

BTW, how many ZR1s in 2+ years
Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I also have a letter from GM that states that after careful balancing the tires (and possibly indexing them to the wheels) if there is still vibration that is considered normal characteristic of the car.

In plain english: GM won't cover it under warranty.

As I said before, you can believe what you want, but these are the facts.

Before you paint me as a hater, overall, I'm very happy with my car.
We just had 6.5 hours paid on a warranty claim for that issue. We had to road force balance the wheels/tires to an acceptable amount, then index the wheels and rotors to measure not only lateral runout on the face of the rotor, but also on the amount of vibration picked up through the steering wheel during the test drive. Once we indexed the rotors and found the least amount or lateral runout we did the same with the wheels to find the least amount of vibration. Now if the wheels are always installed the to the correct location, there is no more vibration.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Your effort is admirable to address the problem, but it all comes down to that "indexing" is just a temporary band aid fix if the problem is with the rotors.

My dealer did the roadforce balance and it came to acceptable levels. GM paid for that. Still, a slight vibration exist. Now, the problem (according to the dealer) is undetectable.

I know, I must have bionic sensories that I can still feel it.

There were other examples where it was traced to the rotor's imbalance.

GM is admitting that the rotors could wear unevenly (weight wise) that causes inbalance. That may or may not result in a vibration.

In my case, the vibration existed since day 1, so, it is not an "uneven wear" issue.

I could fight city hall on this, but it just not worth it.

If the car comes back again and GM says it doesn't pay for any more warranty, what will you do? We're not talking about vibration that rips the steering wheel out of your hand. It is a much higher frequency vibration that makes your hands numb after driving for an hour.

Still this is an issue that my Pickup truck doesn't have with its 20" wheels and Pirellis.

I'm not criticizing or faulting my dealer, it is what it is. There are dealers who sincerely will try to fix problems. You and my dealer are that. Hopefully, someone at GM listens and will address the problem in a year or two, so future owners will not have to go through all this. That creates a better product.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Default Vibration

I can vouch what Range says, they will not warranty the rotors....The 2011 I have and drive the most is actually worse than when it was delivered......Ruins the driving experience.......Hard to believe that 3 yrs. later the problem is still there, what is even worse is that I am still buying them.....I have a good one that is perfect thank goodness but GM has lost this guy until it is proven this is no longer an issue.....Thanks for all your input and best wishes to my ZR1 brothers.....
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by skeetdaddy
I can vouch what Range says, they will not warranty the rotors....The 2011 I have and drive the most is actually worse than when it was delivered......Ruins the driving experience.......Hard to believe that 3 yrs. later the problem is still there, what is even worse is that I am still buying them.....I have a good one that is perfect thank goodness but GM has lost this guy until it is proven this is no longer an issue.....Thanks for all your input and best wishes to my ZR1 brothers.....
They brought new Rotors to replace mine if needed so not so sure on the they are not warrantied issue. Maybe it has to do with who you are dealing with.

Still waiting to hear the details of your multiple ZR1s

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration Problem-2012?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Legally GM cannot deny warranty coverage on the rotors. They can deny a problem exists.

Some dealers will work diligently to solve the issue, others won't.

I still yet to hear from anyone who got a new set of rotors because of a slight vibration. Except maybe JVP. But, that's another story.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
skeetdaddy
Instructor

Default Vibration

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
They brought new Rotors to replace mine if needed so not so sure on the they are not warrantied issue. Maybe it has to do with who you are dealing with.

Still waiting to hear the details of your multiple ZR1s
I traded 3 of them because of the vibration problem, totaled one and have 2 in the garage...........one is perfect (2010 Lingenfelter 710 HP package) and my 2011 which I wish had been the one I totaled......
Old 06-16-2011, 02:06 AM
HBJG
Racer

So is the "vibration" problem present in the ZO6 with the ZO7 option?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Vibration Problem-2012?