Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette for 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOLD72
I am shocked the basic black paint option is being dropped. GM must be out of their minds!!!
Because a critical element in Ford's black paint coming from Japan is in short supply because of the crisis there, Ford is no longer offering black as a color option in many of its models........ including the black Ford Ranger 150 that has become an icon.

Could be that GM is feeling the same pinch when it comes to making black paint
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Toyota is still making black cars ... Maybe GM should ask Toyota who they buy there black paint from and then just buy from the same supplier.

Hey ... black is black!

Seems easy to me.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,210 Posts

If in fact some component of black paint is sourced from Japan and is in short supply, I'm sure the "domestic" car manufacturers would get special treatment over the foreign ones.

It has never been a level playing field.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by range96
If in fact some component of black paint is sourced from Japan and is in short supply, I'm sure the "domestic" car manufacturers would get special treatment over the foreign ones.

It has never been a level playing field.
http://looptrail.org/ripple-effect-j...paint-supplies
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I really like red (especially, Torch Red) and black, but having Arctic White is just fine for me. Shortage of those colors do not upset me one bit. There are a lot of other nice colors to choose from (with a few exceptions).
Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ken Fichtner

Changes from 2011:

• New steering wheel design
Anyone has details?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Onerareviper
I don't see how having this as an option can be a negative in any way. If you pay extra for the R-Compound, you should know what you're getting.
Exactly.

A) If you are adding a bunch of shyt to your car, atleast know what you are adding. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

B) If you can afford to add EVERY option to a $100k car. You can afford tires.. plain and simple. Doesnt matter which tires you put on there.

I mean this is like buying a Fighter Jet and complaining about the cost of fuel.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by range96
Anyone has details?
I was curious about that as well... after looking at this hi-res photo it appears to me that the wheel has been modified at the 10 & 2 o'clock positions. It's a bit thicker for grip.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
....They sand-blast the fender area, ablating the paint clear off the car....
I imagine that alone will be a surprise to many.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Exactly.

A) If you are adding a bunch of shyt to your car, atleast know what you are adding. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

B) If you can afford to add EVERY option to a $100k car. You can afford tires.. plain and simple. Doesnt matter which tires you put on there.

I mean this is like buying a Fighter Jet and complaining about the cost of fuel.
I can understand both sides of the argument. With a car like the Viper ACR or GT3 RS, they are marketed as being track machines so most buyers are more aware of the pros & cons for the tires. A Corvette buyer might simply think since the PS Cups cost more, they are a better tire. Obviously, whether or not the Cups would be "better" for them depends on how they're going to use the car.

Cups wont seem better to them once they try driving aggressively while the tires are still cold and they slide straight into a ditch. They might not realize the cups take longer to warm up.

Fact is, the general public is ignorant when it comes to R compound tires. I had at least 5 people come up to me commenting about how my tires are bald and the dealer screwed me by selling me a new car with bald tires.

Last edited by 4-Sho; 04-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Fact is, the general public is ignorant when it comes to R compound tires. I had at least 5 people come up to me commenting about how my tires are bald and the dealer screwed me by selling me a new car with bald tires.
I assume you don't live in a state that requires yearly "safety ****" inspections? VA does, and tread depth is on the list of things to check. I honestly wonder if folks realize they may get a year or so of driving out of a set of tires before their respective states force them to replace them?

Obviously I'm assuming more than 5K miles driven in a year, and pavement that's rough on soft tires.

jas
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
I was curious about that as well... after looking at this hi-res photo it appears to me that the wheel has been modified at the 10 & 2 o'clock positions. It's a bit thicker for grip.
Thanks, that picture shows the Centennial Edition which has the suede cover. I was wondering about the standard wheel. It appears the basic shape hasn't changed.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

... about the transmission ratios ....

Is it possible that maybe the current 2009-2011 close ratio transmission moves to the options list as something better for road racing, and the standard 2012 transmission then becomes a wider ratio version with a lower first gear, probably better for the street and drag racing.

They could both be called "close ratio" ... somehow that phrase sounds good.

Last edited by Trapper Sean; 04-22-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

It is possible. I'll be looking for gear ratio info when it's available.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Default Cup wheel questions

I was trying to get a good look at the new ""cup" wheels and they look like the same wheels that are featured on the Z06X

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrol...ure379879.html

In regards to the "machine surface option" does anyone have a clear handle on the definition of that?

Could it be the black wheel but with a bare machined surface on top of the spokes, that would look pretty sharp IMO....... or does it just mean the entire wheel being a raw aluminum finish

Either way I think the new wheel looks really good ......

Not sure about the R compound tires though. Especially after what jvp said about them sandblasting the fenders along with a 500 mile drive home after a museum delivery .

To bad they don't have a clear bra option at the factory
Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

The wheels do look like they match. They look great.

I think you're right on about the machine faced one.

Unless you want maximum traction the R tires are not for you.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Definetly a good looking wheel. IMO the best ever since the early KO's

However to get the wheel you have to get the R compound tire

Ultimate traction is great when you want it...... but the negative trade offs cannot be ignored (bad traction in many circumstances and the sandblasting effect)

Without being able to get a clear bra installed at BG, IMO a museum pickup would have to be with a truck and trailer. Especially since for me it would be in November or December

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette for 2012

Old 04-23-2011, 04:56 PM
c6chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camaro sales will really go up this year! lots of vette buyers will not be able to afford a nother vette.keep what you got?looks like a big increase for 2012!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:04 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Interesting that PTM is now available on the Z06, I remember a few ZR1 folks saying it would probably remain exclusive to the ZR1.....looks like GM has taken another feature of it's baddest vette and handed it down.

I fail to see the point of making features "exclusive" to the top tier vettes for 1 or 2 years to just pass it down the line. Is GM looking to "bait" people into paying more for first on the block status?

Example.....ZR1 could've had PTM back in 2009 (not available till 2010), Z06 w/Z07 could've had PTM in 2011 (not available till 2012), Grand Sport could've had F55 in 2010 (not available till 2011).....see what I mean. The technology is THERE, GM decides to try and milk it as far as possible and get those returning customers to trade up year after year.

Smart on their part to a point.....but with vette sales lacking, less people to trade up year after year, and many people catching on to this gimmick of "exclusivity".....not surprising sales have declined year after year.
GM has adopted Apple's marketing strategy by deliberately holding back features only to hook us into buying the next generation model. iPod, iPhone, iPad

Kudos to GM I guess, it is working for Steve Jobs....
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
I was trying to get a good look at the new ""cup" wheels and they look like the same wheels that are featured on the Z06X

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/chevrol...ure379879.html

In regards to the "machine surface option" does anyone have a clear handle on the definition of that?

Could it be the black wheel but with a bare machined surface on top of the spokes, that would look pretty sharp IMO....... or does it just mean the entire wheel being a raw aluminum finish

Either way I think the new wheel looks really good ......

Not sure about the R compound tires though. Especially after what jvp said about them sandblasting the fenders along with a 500 mile drive home after a museum delivery .

To bad they don't have a clear bra option at the factory
The do have clear bra option at BG now, check the the museum website...

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette for 2012