Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Pocono Raceway here we come 5/30

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:23 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Default Pocono Raceway here we come 5/30

The Ferrari club and the Corvette NEPA club organizes a joint event on Memorial Day at Pocono Raceway. The event utilizes the 2.5 mile circuit consisting Pocono Turn 1, 2 and the North course (in reverse). I can tell you from first hand experience that it is a great event. It is my favorite of all events easily reachable at the north east.

The organizer's email (Vette side):
joezo6@netscape.net (that's an oh, not a zero)
http://www.ernccc.org/ccnepa/
Ferrari side:
May 28-30. Pocono: A celebration of Speed and Design at Pocono Raceway and at the Inn at Pocono Manor, Pocono, PA. Info: Joe Moore (609)397-8866, e-mail: mojo2@mindspring.com.
http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/...ID/28/Calendar

You will not only see the best Vette's on the north east, but the best of Ferraris as well. There is a great respect towards each other from both sides. The event organizers do an excellent job. You will also find Vipers and other interesting cars (Lambos, Panteras, Maseratis, and even Porsches). You might see an Enzo or Carrera GT here and there. The groups are formed based mainly on driver qualifications, so both beginners and track junkies are accommodated.

Anyone else planning to go? It will be fun to see familiar faces and new ones alike. I'll personally guarantee you will have a great time (perfect weather expected, but not guaranteed).

Old 04-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Livinlife
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

Would I love to go to get the chance to race with some fellow Vette enthuists. Just to darn far away. Currently looking for a group to run with in the South.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

The April 16-17 event got cancelled due to Nascar mandated track repairs which makes the wait for the May 30th event even longer!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Was registered to bring my 2010 ZR1 to run but had an unfortunate incident at Summit Point this weekend and have had to cancel
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM
2muchhp
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Default expect to go

Peter I plan to book this in a few days
Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Was registered to bring my 2010 ZR1 to run but had an unfortunate incident at Summit Point this weekend and have had to cancel
Oh no! What happened? Main track? Which turn? May 30 is far away, can't it be repaired in time? PM me if you don't want this in the open.

It would've been great to have the ZR1's outnumber the Ferraris.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2muchhp
Peter I plan to book this in a few days
That's great news! Hope to see you there. I'm getting antsy again to strech those long ZR1 legs. I drove my car today for the first time this year and it's raining again. I sure hope it brings May flowers.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Main track, turn 1 after getting the "point by" by three slower vehicles had braked, shifted 4th to third and was making the turn where someone else had lost control and mud was on the track - rear end starting coming around on me and I corrected, shifted into 2nd and was starting to apply some gas pedal when car hit clean track and whipped back the other direction and into the tires protecting the concrete wall in the turn - guess I had slowed to around 30 mph when I hit - after getting checked out by ambulance crew at track, instructor told me I had done everything right - waiting for claims adjuster to look at car - it sits at a collision repair shop which is state-of-the-art facility and works on high-end vehicles - shop owner has talked with claims adjuster and just waiting for him to show up - does not appear to be any frame damage - all carbon fiber on nose and right front will need to be replaced - believe hood and left fender can be reused as they do not appear to be damaged
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I'm really sorry to hear about that.

You could get nasty surprises even on the track. You won't have a child running out front of you, but you could get mud, rocks on the track from previous off-roaders or invisible oil mist that causes you to spin out.

I had have to dodge deer between turns 3 and 4 that really wakes you up at Summit Point Main.

Any mishap without injury is not a real bad one, glad it wasn't worse. We all remember the Mustang that went over the wall there...

Looks like your car is in good hands, maybe they get it ready for Memorial Day?
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

still waiting on USAA claims adjuster to show - if you check the following you can see a couple of pix of the damage to MARIAH

givenscollision.com and then click on CHECK VEHICLE and then 12142
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
I'm really sorry to hear about that.
As am I. It's why they call it "Slippery" Point in the rain. I've done Summit precisely once in the rain. I'll never, ever do it again. I know it teaches better car control at slower speeds, but the risk of wipe outs increases exponentially.

We all remember the Mustang that went over the wall there...
Remember it? I was there when it happened.

jas
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
still waiting on USAA claims adjuster to show - if you check the following you can see a couple of pix of the damage to MARIAH

givenscollision.com and then click on CHECK VEHICLE and then 12142
Looking at the pictures, the damage is not all that much. Expensive, but not expansive. You should have it back way before Memorial Day.

Did you have a special rider with USAA to cover you on the track or just the standard plan?
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

just standard
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jvp
Remember it? I was there when it happened.

jas
I was there the following week and everyone was still talking about it. That was sad.

How about the new Viper still with temp tags climbing the tree? I'm sorry, but that was funny.

Here is another Viper story. At Pocono, a Mustang was trying to reel in this twin-turbo Viper without much success and all of the sudden he looses it and hits the wall. I talk to him after the session and he claims the Viper is dumping oil on the track, right. Next session the Viper looses it, but saves it. In the pit I talk to the guy and he shows me his oil cooler leaking and he got oil on his front tire... I never told the Mustang guy, I didn't want to witness a murder.

Jason, have you ever come up to the Ferrari/Vette Pocono event on Memorial Day? You should try it, it is a blast.

Last edited by range96; 04-12-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I was there the following week and everyone was still talking about it. That was sad.
What's even worse is that he had a lot of previous track experience there. My understanding is that he'd modified his Mustang for big power numbers, but forgot(?) about modifying the brakes.

I agree, very sad. The thing is, we didn't know he'd been killed until afterward. He was alive and talking to people when the helicopter came to pick him up. Ugh.

How about the new Viper still with temp tags climbing the tree? I'm sorry, but that was funny.
If I recall that one correctly, wasn't that an instructor that accidentally did that? If I'm not wrong, it's the event that caused Mr. Scott to basically say, "OK... uh.. no more instructors driving students' cars at speed. Ever." I could be mistaken on that one though. Horrible goof-up, either way.

jas
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Yup. That's the one. Those instructors! One in Pocono rolled his race car with an 80 year old student who just bought a Corvette and wanted to drive it on the racetrack, but "didn't" get the instructions quite right. The instructor took him out in his car to "show" the lines and flipped it. They went sliding upside down in the mud, they had to shovel it out. Was real funny at the time, but found out later the student had injuries that was not evident initially.

So, did I talk you into coming?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:17 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

So, did I talk you into coming?
Me? Pocono? Nah. I stick with Summit because it's close enough to home for me to drive there and back on my R-compound rubber. Any other track is too far, and I don't have a trailer or anything like that.

Enjoy!

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono Raceway here we come 5/30

Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

I don't usually use Hoosiers on the street either, but this event is worth it. Besides, the ride home will clear the rubber pieces off your tire. No wear on the outside edge of the tire either. If anything, the inside wears more due to - camber. I have driven R6's (carefully) in rain without any issues with my old car.

After driving the Michelins at Spring Mountain I have my doubt that the Hoosier is even needed! I think it is going to be overkill. I'm anxious to try them, though.

You can even come (on street tires) just to check it out. It is like a car show for race cars. You will see million dollar Ferraris waiting for point by from Porsches

It would be neat to line up all the ZR1's at lunch time for a photo shoot at the winner circle!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Just got an email about the event. They still have open spaces! They are charging $210 for the day if you pay before May 26, 2011.

The course consists of the front straight, NASCAR turn 1, the back straight, NASCAR tunnel turn, and the north course infield. This is a 2.5 mile counterclockwise circuit where you see some serious speeds on the straightaways. Turn 1 will show you serious g's and the north course will entertain you with its tight turns. Out of all combos at Pocono this is my favorite.

I've been in this event many times and you will see some very interesting hardware in addition to Vettes (Ferraris, yes Enzo's, Lambos, Porsches, yes Carrera GT's, Panteras, Maserattis, Ford GT's, Turbo Vipers, etc.)

If you're on the fence, this is the one not to miss. Many people come to just see the cars.

Applications are on www.ccnepa.com
Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my favorite course great event. I want to know haw many break the 1:30 mark please if I can't make it.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Pocono Raceway here we come 5/30