Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Buyers Beware, INSIST on Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
racer10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR1 Buyers Beware, INSIST on Road Test

A word to the wise, thoroughtly test drove a 2010 ZR1 today and over and over again the car exhibited the dreaded wheel vibration starting at 74 and did not go away even at 90 mph(I did not take it above that). Strongly suggest anyone interested in a ZR1 insist on a test drive and don't consider buying unless the issue is not evident or until the issue is eliminated to your satisfaction. From scanning the forum threads this is not a simple fix and some owners still are not satisfied.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:15 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe the running boards were installed crooked, causing the car to shimmy?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racer10
A word to the wise, Strongly suggest anyone interested in a ZR1 insist on a test drive .
That is exactly what we did when we bought in July ... once the deal was made, we told the dealer we would drive it for that specific purpose and IF it had the issue, we would not take it. It was fine and still is at nearly 5000 miles.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by titletaker
maybe the running boards were installed crooked, causing the car to shimmy?
funny

Last edited by MachAll 2005; 11-20-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Qtr_Z06
Instructor

I thought that this vibration was eliminated on the '10 models?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word to the wise, thoroughtly test drove a 2010 ZR1 today and over and over again the car exhibited the dreaded wheel vibration starting at 74 and did not go away even at 90 mph(I did not take it above that). Strongly suggest anyone interested in a ZR1 insist on a test drive and don't consider buying unless the issue is not evident or until the issue is eliminated to your satisfaction. From scanning the forum threads this is not a simple fix and some owners still are not satisfied.
Since I'm buying my 2010 ZR1 out of state and can't be there for a personal test drive I had the GSM drive the car for me and report back. He recorded a video from the cockpit position driving over 70mph and the car did not exhibit this problem and was very smooth. I now have proof.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Torched
Since I'm buying my 2010 ZR1 out of state and can't be there for a personal test drive I had the GSM drive the car for me and report back. He recorded a video from the cockpit position driving over 70mph and the car did not exhibit this problem and was very smooth. I now have proof.
Good thinking!!!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM
racer10
Advanced

The vibration I experienced is very noticable to the touch and at times visually , make sure you test at speeds starting at 72mph. I did not see any problem under that mph at all. Once you hit 72 to 75 the vibe starts and is unmistakable. It takes away any confidence to really want tp push the car.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM
CrystalRedMetal ZR-1
Instructor

The vibration I experienced is very noticable to the touch and at times visually , make sure you test at speeds starting at 72mph. I did not see any problem under that mph at all. Once you hit 72 to 75 the vibe starts and is unmistakable. It takes away any confidence to really want tp push the car.
When I bought the car I spent nearly 1500 miles at speeds between 70-80 mph. No issues at all. 2010 ZR1.

I definitely think this is a hit or miss issue. Some people have it, some people don't. But if I had it, I would be bothered quite a bit also, so I don't blame anyone for ranting or wanting to get it fixed. Just know that not ALL ZR1s have this issue. As stated by the OP, test drive it first, as you should with any car you are planning on buying no-matter what if you can arrange it. Not just a ZR1, but anything that costs this much should be test-drove despite the many who don't mind purchasing without testing it first.

- Bryan
Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
racer10
Advanced

I believe that the incident rate with this issue judging from the posts on this site alone would justify that this be identified as a full blown QC problem. And I agree every car should be road tested , the difficult issue here is that most dealers are very , very reluctant to let you test drive these cars , for fear of putting miles on them and when they do will want to keep the drive short. If a problem is identified some will tell you it is most likely flatspotting and that it will go away over a 1/2 hour drive (but you have got to trust them on that and its only your skin in the game if you sign ). If you feel any problem with vibration my suggestion is to walk away . At some point GM will get the message loud and clear that corvette enthusiasts will only make so many excuses for them and stop buying. By the way my $26k 4 cylinder Malibu works fine and there is no vibration at any speed why can't !00% of all units of a $122k car perform that way?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

I believe that the incident rate with this issue judging from the posts on this site alone would justify that this be identified as a full blown QC problem. And I agree every car should be road tested , the difficult issue here is that most dealers are very , very reluctant to let you test drive these cars , for fear of putting miles on them and when they do will want to keep the drive short. If a problem is identified some will tell you it is most likely flatspotting and that it will go away over a 1/2 hour drive (but you have got to trust them on that and its only your skin in the game if you sign ). If you feel any problem with vibration my suggestion is to walk away . At some point GM will get the message loud and clear that corvette enthusiasts will only make so many excuses for them and stop buying. By the way my $26k 4 cylinder Malibu works fine and there is no vibration at any speed why can't !00% of all units of a $122k car perform that way?

Not sure why this is being blown out...find one that does not shake and move on. Are you really looking to buy one or just looking to stir up crap??...........
Old 11-20-2010, 10:40 PM
racer10
Advanced

I am a real buyer, but are you serious I need to hunt for one thats doesn't shake.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Don F
Instructor

I have the issue starting at 72-74 mph and still have it at 90+ , I haven't dealt with it at this point as it's a small but noticeable vibe but not really bad. I have 5600 miles and it has been there since post break-in.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:50 PM
racer10
Advanced

I am happy for you that the problem is small and you can live with it. Good Luck with the car and enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 AM
GarryZR1
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

MachAll told me to test the one I bought before I signed the deal. It is good advice for anyone. I tested it very gingerly and it had no shimmy at all.

Very funny about the side skirts being off causing the shimmy.

I believe there are past posts indicating that the case is n the rotor ro aligement of the rotor to the caliper and pads. They seem to have a fix for it now and is occuring on only a very few cars.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:39 AM
turbolou
Burning Brakes

Default Reply

Can anyone elaborate on this shimmy complaint. I'm a bit skeptical about that. Why would GM release a hi perf car with a shimmy . Doesn't make any sense, there has to be a reason & I would like to hear it.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:09 AM
FIRSTC6Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by turbolou
Can anyone elaborate on this shimmy complaint. I'm a bit skeptical about that. Why would GM release a hi perf car with a shimmy . Doesn't make any sense, there has to be a reason & I would like to hear it.
Me too. I had a '06 Z06, '09 ZR1, '11 ZR1 all no vibration issues.

Lou, I was just at Peppino's off rockfield with a few forum guys. Why don't you join us next time we meet? I had my Turbo "S" this trip.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Buyers Beware, INSIST on Road Test

Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

I have had wheel vibrations on my last 7 Escalade's all with 22's around 70 mph, a simple stop at a GOOD wheel shop with a road force balancing machine and the problem was gone, dealership had the same machine, just could not get the same results.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:57 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

could be the driveshaft not balanced correctly.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by DannyKing
Not sure why this is being blown out...find one that does not shake and move on. Are you really looking to buy one or just looking to stir up crap??...........
Interesting point as there is a current thread on this
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-at-80mph.html

Do a search: There are several more threads on this.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...l-balance.html

The 2010 had the issue when we picked it up across State, dealer thought it would go away. When it did not we took it to disaster of local dealership here and the issueS escalated. I am confident the selling dealership would have resolved the issue with no problem.
GM Engineer/Brand Manager from Milford came in and resolved things. A lot of ZR1 owners have said the issue resolves itself after a few thousand miles. Some are worse than others. Many opinions on this.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Buyers Beware, INSIST on Road Test