Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] wheel shimmy at 80mph

Old 11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
zeeohsixer
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel shimmy at 80mph

I've read where several zr1 owners have encountered the same shimmy between 70-80 that I have. Chevrolet has a new procedure to reduce or fix the problem. First you've got to have all four tire/wheel combinations to achieve 12 pounds or less via road force balancing. If that doesn't cure it. All four brake rotors are to be balanced with the weights indexed on the wheel in line with the rotor. So far I've had two rotors out of balance by as much as 1.5 ounces. I'm thinking that's gonna make a huge difference. Why are they so out of balance? I'm thinking Italy's quality control has lapsed with the ramped up production of these ceramic rotors. The cooling vents seem rough and poorly bored. Hope this works. I give mine a test drive tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Good info, I have the problem with my car. Already took the car in for the road force balance, did not help much. Had the car aligned, and that did help quite a bit. (Factory alignment was way off!) Next I'll go back to the dealer for the rotor balance, gonna drive it for now and see if it gets better as some have reported.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Leroy Amy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wheel Shimmy

Originally Posted by zeeohsixer
I've read where several zr1 owners have encountered the same shimmy between 70-80 that I have. Chevrolet has a new procedure to reduce or fix the problem. First you've got to have all four tire/wheel combinations to achieve 12 pounds or less via road force balancing. If that doesn't cure it. All four brake rotors are to be balanced with the weights indexed on the wheel in line with the rotor. So far I've had two rotors out of balance by as much as 1.5 ounces. I'm thinking that's gonna make a huge difference. Why are they so out of balance? I'm thinking Italy's quality control has lapsed with the ramped up production of these ceramic rotors. The cooling vents seem rough and poorly bored. Hope this works. I give mine a test drive tomorrow.
Please explain how rotor balance and indexing is done.

Thank You
Old 11-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeeohsixer
Please follow up your post how the outcome is.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM
zeeohsixer
Heel & Toe

Please explain how rotor balance and indexing is done.

Thank You

The mechanics balance the rotor on a regular Hunter wheel/tire balancer as if there were a wheel only configuration. The weights are place on the wheel indexed to the location on the rotor in line and outboard of the rotor.

I'll let you know if it worked as soon as I get a chance to test drive it.

I drive a silver 2011 zr1 by the way.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:17 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,194 Posts

So, as soon someone removes the wheel/tire and does not know about the indexing you're back to square 1?

Most people with the vibration problem reported that after a couple thousand miles on the tires the problem went away. That means the problem was with the tires.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
DannyKing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by range96
So, as soon someone removes the wheel/tire and does not know about the indexing you're back to square 1?

Most people with the vibration problem reported that after a couple thousand miles on the tires the problem went away. That means the problem was with the tires.

Had the same problem with mine but totally gone afer the first couple hundred miles
Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
zeeohsixer
Heel & Toe

Well, it worked! Smooth as a baby's butt. Tires probably contribute but the main culprit is the rotors. They were out of balance. One rear rotor was out 1oz., the other 1.50oz. One front was .25oz. out the other .75oz. It's amazing to me these rotors got by quality control so far out of balance.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Odd deal. Mine's a 2010. 4000 miles. Has never had this issue. Many others have not had it either. Yet several have.

So, apparently a bad batch of rotors that wasn't true/in balance got out.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Odd deal. Mine's a 2010. 4000 miles. Has never had this issue. Many others have not had it either. Yet several have.
I think they all do it potentially, and don't think it's balance as much as harmonics. Bad balance is bad balance everywhere, not just 70-80, There's a natural resonant frequency that gets excited, and since it seems to go away on its own for a lot of people after some break-in, it could be tires or brakes wearing in. I've felt this vibration too, yet at other times at the same speed different day, no vibration.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:57 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Has anyone seen the TSB that addreses the new procedure? If so, can you post it? Thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 08:26 PM
YWZ08
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a late model 2010 and no shake so far.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint

So, apparently a bad batch of rotors that wasn't true/in balance got out.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 PM
racer10
Advanced

Maybe GM should do a re-certification of all their existing inventory before owners have to discover this quality problem on their own.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Torched
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racer10
Maybe GM should do a re-certification of all their existing inventory before owners have to discover this quality problem on their own.
Wishful thinking but this is not the 1st quality control problem right out of the box. I've experienced others with an 08 Z06 I once owned. GM may be reinvented but same old BS passed on to the customer happens a real shame. GM still has a long way to go in customer satisfaction.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:54 PM
racer10
Advanced

GM will respond if corvette owners stop making excuses for them and stop buying. It is unreal how many corvette owners are willing to accept poor quality in the name of its a corvette and look at all the other wonderful things it can do, therefore I can overlook this problem or even fix it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel shimmy at 80mph

Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 PM
zeeohsixer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Has anyone seen the TSB that addreses the new procedure? If so, can you post it? Thanks
As far as I know this latest fix for the problem has not been published in a TSB. I'm sure it won't be long before it is after a few of us have had good luck with the procedure.

As far as I'm concerned, this procedure is simply a band-aid and all customers who've had this problem should have new certified balanced rotors installed under warranty. Anything less is unacceptable.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:11 PM
racer10
Advanced

I agree,until then enthusiasts should stop buying any inventory that has a hint of this problem in order to get GM to correct current and future inventory already in or about to be in dealer showrooms and also recall all ZR1 's( as they did for the 2006 Z06 roof adhesion quality problem) and properly eliminate this problem and its possible reoccurence.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:14 PM
racer10
Advanced

By the way maybe someone should post a You Tube Video of the ZR1Steering wheel vibrating at 75mph.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] wheel shimmy at 80mph