Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM
fullmonty
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Buddy has an 08' ACR, I've Driven at Willow- big track, I drive an 06' Z @ hoosiers, recaro drivers seat and harness set-up. The ACR has more downforce produced, you can feel the difference. The ACR was quicker around the track. ZR1 vs ACR, ZR1 needs a real drivers seat and a set of track tires. I would go for the ACR for the track. For street and general traveling purposes...ZR1 handsdown.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi Guys,

I have to say that I have driven both and the smile factor is in the ZR1. And it doesn't take much to exceed the base line of the ZR1 with just wheels, tires and some minor mods.

On the same tires, the ZR1 will beat the viper. If you doubt that bring the Viper.

The viper has a small driver location and the wheel and pedals are on a slight angle, which bothers me. The ZR1 is just a corvette on Steroids, and they are good steroids.

THe ZR1 brakes are second to no street car that I have driven and most race cars.

On the ZR1, if you install some Headers, pulleys and a tune you will net about another 100 hp reliable. At that point, then is is no contest.

Just my 2 cents. And if you put some Pirelli Rolex 18" GT tires on this car you would be amazed.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

Here is the picture of my ZR1 that was in the for sale section.

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-28-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi Guys,

On the same tires, the ZR1 will beat the viper. If you doubt that bring the Viper.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have to say that I have driven both and the smile factor is in the ZR1. And it doesn't take much to exceed the base line of the ZR1 with just wheels, tires and some minor mods.

The viper has a small driver location and the wheel and pedals are on a slight angle, which bothers me. The ZR1 is just a corvette on Steroids, and they are good steroids.

THe ZR1 brakes are second to no street car that I have driven and most race cars.

On the ZR1, if you install some Headers, pulleys and a tune you will net about another 100 hp reliable. At that point, then is is no contest.

Just my 2 cents. And if you put some Pirelli Rolex 18" GT tires on this car you would be amazed.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
So let me clarify. You're saying a 100% OEM stock ZR1 except tires (JUST TIRES) (say slicks or 80 compound) is faster than a 2010 ACR (with slicks or 80 compound) on a well rounded road course? Just want to make sure I understand 100% what you're saying as I bet I could drum up a couple accomplished ACR owners/drivers that beg to differ. And may be willing to take you up on that challenge. It would be interesting to say the least.

Also, I'm a bit surprised if this is your honest opinion after seeing what a (I think) stock ACR did at the Virginia Hill Climb with a first time driver (C&D editor) at this event.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this stock ACR with a less accomplished driver beat your time by 2+ seconds? Sure, it did have stock 80 compound tires (100 was the minimum). But yours ran on 100 compound Toyo Proxis RA1. No? In other words, not much difference in tires. Plus didn't your ZR1 have 40K in labor/parts/mods? Seriously, I'm not trying to stir the pot, just want to understand your point of view. It seems this race contradicts everything you've said above (i.e. - ZR1 being faster with tires only, and "no contest" with simple mods).

2010 year model, 2200 miles, 1ZR, mod list is as follows:
LG Super Pro Headers
LPE Upper
ATI lower
engine calibration for 93 pump gas and 100 octane
Tilton triple carbon clutch
custom lightweight flywheel for LS9
Forgeline EV1 wheels
stock wheels included
harness bar
5 point harness
4" carbon splitter
splitter spill plates
ALMS GT2 carbon wing with slide in wicker
ALMS GT2 wing struts
new bumper cut, factory OEM bumper included
Urethane bushings upper and lower, all corners

car made 620/630 rwhp on 13psi on a conservative race tune with IAT1 @ 110 degrees.

VIDEOS:

Highly tuned/moded (see above) ZR1 with soft 100 compound Toyo Proxis RA1:

3:21.79 time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHI8P_LXao

Stock ACR with soft stock 80 compound Michelin Sport Cups:

3:19.4 time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wllfx...layer_embedded

Last edited by Onerareviper; 09-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
Exactly.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Viper_Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For Lou it's a personal thing. He hates Vipers with a passion.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:39 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lou,

The first picture of the zr1 is amazing. I don't think Ive seen one picture of a zr1 that looks as good. Who took it?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 PM
LG Motorsports

Guys, Guys,

I don't think I said "STOCK ZR1" but I would give it a shot. The thread is about TRACK DAY CARS, right? ---Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi Guys,

To be fair, my car is just slightly modded, a 2 day job. But we are talking track cars, not sunday go to church cars. So if you want to bring any driver with the same tires in the Stock ACR, which is a true track car, then don't ask me be to have NAV and side air bags and a passenger to race against a viper. Just bring the viper and we can have at it.

Bench racing is just that, bench racing. BRING YOUR BENCH.

ALSO, please note that tire wear ratings are different from each manufacturer. A 100 wear rating from one company does not have the same grip as another tire with the same 100 wear rating. We tested both tires and the 80 wear michelin tires on the viper. here is the quote from the VIper ACR road test
"Suspension changes include race-style KW shocks all around that can be adjusted for stiffness and ride height, springs twice as stiff as those in a normal Viper, and a beefier front stabilizer bar. Forged "Sidewinder" alloy wheels save 30 pounds of unsprung weight, and new two-piece StopTech brake rotors save a further 30. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires-basically barely legal race rubber-are standard. (my comment:But I don't like Michelins so we would have to run Pirelli Grand Am GT tires on both cars.)
The standard ACR is 40 pounds lighter than the regular Viper coupe. An optional "Hard Core" pack saves an extra 40 pounds through the removal of the audio system, underhood silencer pad, trunk carpet, and tire inflator. The radio is replaced by a lightweight cover that can be configured to mount the lap timer that comes with the package. Hard-core, indeed.
Like i said, our mods are very slight compared to the full track race Viper ACR that you say is "stock". So bring one just like the road test or what was on the 341 hill climb and we can race benches.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-30-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:07 AM
LG Motorsports

you viper guys, get together and let me know when to reserve Texas Motorsports ranch and we can roll the video cameras

LG
Old 09-30-2010, 12:09 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by PaintballaXX
Lou,

The first picture of the zr1 is amazing. I don't think Ive seen one picture of a zr1 that looks as good. Who took it?
That was Larry Chen from www.driftfotos.com who took the picture. The mountains and the lighting made them what they are, and Larry is something else with his camera.

LG
Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Like i said, our mods are very slight compared to the full track race Viper ACR that you say is "stock". So bring one just like the road test or what was on the 341 hill climb and we can race benches.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti
Please tell me how this Viper ACR is different than the one I can buy at my local Dodge dealer and get plates for? That is what I mean by 'stock'. If Dodge built a car better suited for the track, well, don't blame Dodge.

Come on Lou, give credit where credit is due. Dodge put together a mean track weapon. That's all I'm trying to say. Even with all the mods you performed (would cost someone 40K to duplicate), 100 compound rubber (softer than stock for sure), and your driving skills, the ACR still put down the best time with a less accomplished driver. IMHO, this should put to rest the myth that a OEM 100% stock ZR1 only needs tires to equal a ACR on track. It is not taking anything away from the ZR1 that is more of a compromise to ensure street comfort and everyday usability.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 09-30-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

you viper guys, get together and let me know when to reserve Texas Motorsports ranch and we can roll the video cameras

LG
BTW - I'm not saying the current car you have with the mods list above (especially aero) and equal tires could not hang with an ACR. Please understand.... My argument is with ZR1 folks that think they just need tires to hang. That's not going to happen IMHO... But think of it this way - That's more business for you if someone wants to convert their ZR1 into a track monster.

Last edited by Onerareviper; 09-30-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 AM
LG Motorsports

No, for some reason, very few ZR1 owners want to make their cars faster or into Track cars.
Fast cars are fast cars. they are both potent weapons that deserve respect.

No mater what, a run off at the track would not be easy for either car to excel.

I think the rubber bushings in the ZR1 are not up to the task for the track. The car wanders too much until we put either spherical or Urethane in the A arms. IT needs bigger sway bars, (LGM G1 sway bars on mine)

The Stock ZR1 Flywheel is over 60 pounds, and our carbon clutch and custom built flywheel reduces the car's rotating mass by 50 pounds. These are things that make the car a daily driver.

I drive my Z daily with all the mods and I just have a blast. We sold our Forgelines with the Toyo tires on them so I will have to get some new skins for the car if I am going to the track.

I think a Stock ZR1 needs the mods that I have to catch up to the same factory mods that come with a ACR Viper.

I am sure that no one wants to see any lopsided contest.

Thanks for the great thread guys.

Lou Gigliotti

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 09-30-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 AM
randra
Intermediate

Those are two great videos. As an owner of a both a 2010 Vette and a 2008 Viper, I try not to be too biased, but after watching the videos, I would have felt a lot safer riding in the Viper, than the Vette. A few weeks ago, I had an opportunity for a Hot Lap with a good driver in a new standard Viper, and came away impressed. Wrong forum, but you need to give the Dodge credit, it is a hell of a machine.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:39 AM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by randra
Those are two great videos. As an owner of a both a 2010 Vette and a 2008 Viper, I try not to be too biased, but after watching the videos, I would have felt a lot safer riding in the Viper, than the Vette. A few weeks ago, I had an opportunity for a Hot Lap with a good driver in a new standard Viper, and came away impressed. Wrong forum, but you need to give the Dodge credit, it is a hell of a machine.
Agreed. They are both great cars.

Come to Texas and ride with me

We are planning a LG Motorsports track day event in a few months.
If I don't sell the car, the right seat will be available.

Thanks guys

Lou Gigliotti

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM
randra
Intermediate

Lou, Don't make that offer, unless you mean it. I have driven a lot farther for much less. Randy
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper_Vette
For Lou it's a personal thing. He hates Vipers with a passion.
Complete loss of credibilty.
Not unusual in Vette owners.

Get notified of new replies

To Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1

Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
Complete loss of credibilty.
Not unusual in Vette owners.
What, the unsubstantiated comment by viper_Vette? I agree.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

LG
Now that sounds like a plan! Please let us know when it's going down, Chris
Old 10-01-2010, 01:59 AM
LG Motorsports

Hi guys,

let me know what would be your pleasure and I will fit anything into my schedule.

What would you want to do? Ride right seat or do a challenge race. Either way, I would be glad to have some fun.

Win, lose or draw, no one will care in 100 years, so what shall it be.

Track day, or challenge race? Either way, I am in.

In all my years of racing World Challenge, I won about 26 races. That also means that I lost about 80 races, So one more either way will not make much difference.

Depending on the day of the week, the track rental will vary.

At any rate, I am willing to plan some sort of event.

Thanks guys,

Looking forward to some good clean fun. Clean windshield, Shined shoes and a tank of high test gasoline.

LG

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Better track day car: Viper ACR or ZR1