Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Splitter vs. truck tire tread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Splitter vs. truck tire tread

I read L82gofast's post about hitting a jackrabbit.

A couple weeks ago it was my turn - but I hit a 4 or 5 foot long hunk of truck tire tread that was laying in the highway.

I just got back from a 2,700 mile road trip, and in the middle of it I hit the tire tread that was laying in the middle of the road on I-95 about 1/2 way between Richmond, VA and Wash, DC, but I seem to have gotten away with just the splitter being busted.

It took a helluva a hit at about 75-80 mph and none of the screws came loose. When it happened the tire tread made terrible noise going under the car, and I thought the front fascia would be damaged, the radiator might have taken a hit, parts under the car might be damaged, and maybe the tail pipes and rear diffuser might have a bunch of damage. Butt.....I seem to have gotten away with just the splitter being ripped up.

I've got my insurance guy coming tomorrow AM to give me an estimate. I thought it would be covered under the comprehensive, therefore no deductible would apply, but it looks like they're gonna call it "collision damage" and the 500 deductible will apply.

If they just pay me the estimate for repairs, I was thinking of getting an APR as a replacement because it's about 1/2 the price of an OE splitter. Another alternative might be the $299 splitter from Cianci - it's not carbon fiber, so I'd paint it Cyber Gray to match the car.

The OE splitter just screws on with those 13 screws you see in the picture below. They're nothing special, but they didnt let loose when the splitter took a real hit.

Bob

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
bluez06ny
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katech sells a carbon fiber splitter for $575
Old 05-20-2010, 09:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bluez06ny
Katech sells a carbon fiber splitter for $575
Thanks!

I just checked their site and the c/f splitter is on backorder at this time.

They also have a fiberglass one for $399 that comes ready for painting with either a white or black gelcoat finish.

Bob
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Bob -

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I just got back from a 2,700 mile road trip, and in the middle of it I hit the tire tread that was laying in the middle of the road on I-95 about 1/2 way between Richmond, VA and Wash, DC, but I seem to have gotten away with just the splitter being busted.
Glad it was "just" the splitter (even though that's an expensive whoopsie).

The real question is: why the hell didn't you let me know you were driving through this area?! :-)

jas
Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
Bob -

Glad it was "just" the splitter (even though that's an expensive whoopsie).

The real question is: why the hell didn't you let me know you were driving through this area?! :-)

jas
Hi Jas

Yeah, sorry!!

I really enjoy linking up with forum members when traveling. When we were skiing out in Salt Lake City the end of March, we drove down to Spring Mountain and had lunch with forum member cclive on the way down as we passed through Southern Utah. We'll be meeting STEVE MC for supper tonight - he's down in Daytona for a week from Rhode Island.

Our trip north didn't give me much time to stop. We stopped at Fort Bragg overnight to visit my nephew in the Special Forces there, then continued up to my sister's house north of Trenton, NJ before heading up to my college reunion (a small college on the Hudson about 50 miles north of New York City).

However, my sister has been looking at properties in the Charlotte Court House area, and if she ends up moving there I'll definitely get ahold of you when we come up to visit!!

And.....there's an open invitation for anybody traveling up/down I-95 and passing by Daytona to stop for lunch or dinner as you go by. If you're visiting the Daytona/Orlando area let me know and we'll get together while you're here.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-21-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:34 AM
L82gofast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. good thing it wasn't worse. My damage is right at 5k. expensive rabbit.... Should be fixed this week, they were just waiting on a power steering cooler. Its fins were smashed by some rabbit debris and I wanted them to replace it also.

Good call on a splitter alternative. I would have gone that route if it was the only item damaged.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Thanks!

I just checked their site and the c/f splitter is on backorder at this time.

They also have a fiberglass one for $399 that comes ready for painting with either a white or black gelcoat finish.

Bob
Sounds like something other than CF might be a better choice of material.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vette6799
Sounds like something other than CF might be a better choice of material.
Yeah....but the CF splitter looks soooo good!!!

I went to a get together on last Saturday, and put the Z06 front spoiler/air dam on the ZR1:

I've got a Katech CF splitter on order. The OE piece has an MSRP of just under $2200, but from a forum vendor it can be had for about $1850 shipped. The Katech part is about 1/3 of that!!!

I think the Z06 part looks pretty good, and I'll probably get one for daily driving and road trips. You can get the Z06 piece for about $150 shipped. It takes about 15 to 20 minutes to swap them out.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Splitter vs. truck tire tread

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Splitter vs. truck tire tread