Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] VIDEO: Lingenfelter ZR1 world record pass 9.81 @ 145.74 from MIR 12/7/09

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

well for 40K, I thought the ZR1 would have a better lead in the 1/4 mile. On the other hand, there are other preformance aspects. Whats the better bang for the buck?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ClevelandPlasma
well for 40K, I thought the ZR1 would have a better lead in the 1/4 mile. On the other hand, there are other preformance aspects. Whats the better bang for the buck?
This has been hashed out on this forum may times already. On that same day the stock ZR1s were trapping up to 6mph faster in the 1/4. That run was also on drag radials while all of the ZR1s ran on stock tires. If you just want bang for the buck then get a Z06 if you want a better overall car get the ZR1.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
treynor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obzidian
Right, MSRP is one thing but how many folks on here actually bought one AT MSRP?
$3K under MSRP for my '10.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Kyle Lemish
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
This has been hashed out on this forum may times already. On that same day the stock ZR1s were trapping up to 6mph faster in the 1/4. That run was also on drag radials while all of the ZR1s ran on stock tires. If you just want bang for the buck then get a Z06 if you want a better overall car get the ZR1.

I agree totally I will never down a Z06 as I have had 5 of them as my daily drivers Including a LG H/C car.....But the ZR1 is by far the best car I have ever owned.....And being in the car business I think I have owned every sports car for under 200K......Gallardo....Ford GT.....360....the list goes on.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Why can't people look at what the cars can do at the end of the day rather than being so hung up on only comparing all time best stock ET records and nothing else? Most guys that like to race are gonna mod. If a more objective view is taken you could make an argument that the ZR1 offers more bang for the buck despite being more expensive since it includes a properly built FI engine with forged pistons rendering it able to produce levels of power, speed WITH reliability that are not easy to achieve with a Z06. With less than 3k in bolt on mods, my car has gone 140 in the 1/4 mile.

From the C6Z fast list...

No C6Zs went 140 with bolt ons only.
No C6Zs went 140 with bolt ons + heads/cam.
A total of 11 C6Zs have went over 140. All 11 cars are badass rides, so lets take a look at what was required to do it.

Of the 11 cars...

All 11 of them had a power adder.
At least 5 had complete engine builds.
3 had twin turbo systems.
4 were supercharged.
4 used nitrous.
5 had an automatic transmission swap.
Only 1 managed to do it using the stock clutch.

This tells me it takes a lot of cash for the Z06 to do what the ZR1 can do with simple mods...unless you want to swap the clutch and hit the Z06 with a big shot of nitrous, which is fine, but if that's your approach then why not just buy a coupe and save another 20k by not getting the Z06?

Fast, reliable, cheap. Choose any two.

If the ZR1 has mods, you're gonna pretty much spend ZR1 money to get a Z06 to match it unless you are willing to sacrifice reliability.

Which offers more bang for the buck? Depends on how you look at it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool vids.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Rat Fink
Heel & Toe

Thats
Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM
redknight
Racer

Originally Posted by Jorday
Why can't people look at what the cars can do at the end of the day rather than being so hung up on only comparing all time best stock ET records and nothing else? Most guys that like to race are gonna mod. If a more objective view is taken you could make an argument that the ZR1 offers more bang for the buck despite being more expensive since it includes a properly built FI engine with forged pistons rendering it able to produce levels of power, speed WITH reliability that are not easy to achieve with a Z06. With less than 3k in bolt on mods, my car has gone 140 in the 1/4 mile.

From the C6Z fast list...

No C6Zs went 140 with bolt ons only.
No C6Zs went 140 with bolt ons + heads/cam.
A total of 11 C6Zs have went over 140. All 11 cars are badass rides, so lets take a look at what was required to do it.

Of the 11 cars...

All 11 of them had a power adder.
At least 5 had complete engine builds.
3 had twin turbo systems.
4 were supercharged.
4 used nitrous.
5 had an automatic transmission swap.
Only 1 managed to do it using the stock clutch.

This tells me it takes a lot of cash for the Z06 to do what the ZR1 can do with simple mods...unless you want to swap the clutch and hit the Z06 with a big shot of nitrous, which is fine, but if that's your approach then why not just buy a coupe and save another 20k by not getting the Z06?

Fast, reliable, cheap. Choose any two.

If the ZR1 has mods, you're gonna pretty much spend ZR1 money to get a Z06 to match it unless you are willing to sacrifice reliability.

Which offers more bang for the buck? Depends on how you look at it.

Its actually the z06 that no longer seems cost effective. The Grand Sport at over a $20k savings only gives up the extra cubes and aluminum frame, while gaining different roofing options. A warrantied supercharger or engine package from a reputable vendor would tip the power to weight ratio in favor of the GS for much less than the cost differential.

Disclaimer: I love the Z06 and would take one over a GS if money were not object but its hard to argue what an incredible value the GS is.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] VIDEO: Lingenfelter ZR1 world record pass 9.81 @ 145.74 from MIR 12/7/09