Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Wixom center engine building video

Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
OlDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very
Old 11-30-2010, 10:22 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

Don:

Thanks to you and all the guys at Wixom.

Chuck Geise (sp?) built the LS6 in my 2008 Z06.

Runs like a scalded dog and really hustles the car around nicely.

Question: How many folks (customers) have done the 2011 Engine Build Experience to date? Looks like a real cool program.

-CKB
Old 12-01-2010, 08:41 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

To date we have had only two guest builders. I've heard there are more in the works that have not been scheduled yet. We're ready when you are!

Not too long ago I had the opportunity to work with a gentleman from North Carolina on the build of his LS9. The build went very well. He did just about all of the assembly and torques, with no snafu's! We had a good time working together - a few good laughs along the way.

I believe he was planning the Museum delivery also. I hope to hear from him when he gets to drive his new ZR1. (This will be #2 for him).

Talked to a lot of folks at the SEMA show that were interested in the BYO program. Some seemed put off by the cost - others not concerned at all. So I hope a few of those smiling faces will come on in. Or if you'd rather not smile that's fine too.

By the way - if any of you have suggestions regarding Build Your Own (or anything else we do) - please let me know. Don't know if I can help but I'd love to hear your ideas.

Don
Old 12-01-2010, 08:51 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Hey Don, I know we have talked about this before---what needs to be done to do a tour ? I think it would be an amaZing trip to start planning for Spring and to get to meet you all
PS=Please say hi to all from West Michigan
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Default Link for PBC Tour reservation

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
Hey Don, I know we have talked about this before---what needs to be done to do a tour ? I think it would be an amaZing trip to start planning for Spring and to get to meet you all
Hello Deb!

Here's a link to Performance Build Center website. We'd love to see you and your group for a tour.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/pbc/

Click on link, then click on Visit PBC. email your completed form - then Donna will be in touch to schedule your visit.

Snow today - I bet your Corvettes are snugly tucked away!

Don

Last edited by eaglei; 10-06-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: update PBC link
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by eaglei
Hello Deb!

Here's a link to Performance Build Center website. We'd love to see you and your group for a tour.

http://www.gm.com/experience/technol...ild_center.jsp

Click on link, then click on PBC Tour Reserevation. email your completed form - then Donna will be in touch to schedule your visit.

Snow today - I bet your Corvettes are snugly tucked away!

Don
Thanks Don!!!!! I DEF will be planning that trip for Spring! Maybe we can convert a few more over to owning the mighty ZR1

They are both tucked away waiting for the thaw and clear roads so the fun can begin again
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 AM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Don, my zr1 is not being delivered to me until March , 2011 . Is there any way you could let me know who built my engine? my car is a 2009, # 1166. thanks Brian
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 82 mouton
Don, my zr1 is not being delivered to me until March , 2011 . Is there any way you could let me know who built my engine? my car is a 2009, # 1166. thanks Brian
Hey Brian,

When an engine leaves Wixom we have no way of knowing exactly which car it will go into or what date it will be built. The only exception is when a customer does the PBC option (build your own).

I'll ask our folks in contact with Bowling Green, but we have always been told that engine scheduling does not take place until very close to production. Perhaps a contact at Bowling Green would have more info. Might be worth asking the folks at the Corvette Museum...

Regardless, we have a great group of builders and I'm sure your LS9 engine will be top quality. Thanks for giving us the business!

#1166 - that's easy to remember

Don

Last edited by eaglei; 02-03-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Oh Canada...
Old 02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Brian,

When an engine leaves Wixom we have no way of knowing exactly which car it will go into or what date it will be built. The only exception is when a customer does the PBC option (build your own).

I'll ask our folks in contact with Bowling Green, but we have always been told that engine scheduling does not take place until very close to production. Perhaps a contact at Bowling Green would have more info. Might be worth asking the folks at the Corvette Museum...

Regardless, we have a great group of builders and I'm sure your LS9 engine will be top quality. Thanks for giving us the business!

#1166 - that's easy to remember

Don

thanks for the reply. cant wait to get behind the wheel
Old 04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Rich_562
Former user ID rcthmpsn
Support Corvetteforum!

I loved this video. I only own a GS, but someday maybe.
Rich
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM
ZeeOh6Nut
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Manufacturing at it's Finest

I toured the Wixom plant in the summer of 06 after getting delivery of my Z06. I consider myself technically "in the loop" of current technology but was VERY surprised and gained new insight at the technology, care, precision and pride that goes into the building of these engines. There is nothing about the assembly that is not recorded by the computer automation and I'm not exaggerating when I say "down to the torque of every bolt and batch and item of every part."... I was treated as an honored guest and was never given the impression of being rushed or not having all of my inquiries answered to the utmost detail.

I was sold on GM a long time ago but the tour embedded my loyalty much deeper.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Don, were you there when this was made? One of our local NewZ/Corvette guys was there to make this
http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox1...,3683632.story
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Don, were you there when this was made? One of our local NewZ/Corvette guys was there to make this
http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox1...,3683632.story
Deb, thanks for the link! I'll show this at work tomorrow. Very cool

Bruce Blomfield is the builder working with Bob. They had a good time building together. I think I was working at cold test and balance that day, opposite end of the building from the build floor.

Here's a link to a story about today's Hendrick build. Has a nice photo of Rick and Rich.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...ion/#more-6083
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Don,

Great video, loved anything I can find here or on you tube about what u guys do over there, I have a 2010 ZR1 #1346, Rodger Schultz built mine, one question, your data log book, the three page one you pointed out in the video, what do you guys do with that? Is that something as an owner I can get? Or copy of? Something I can pay for? I feel it would be a great accompaniment to my auto to have that too as a record of the engine, kind of a quality build/pass check list.

Again thanks for what you do, you r all true craftsman...

Tom Russell
Old 05-06-2011, 05:00 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Deb, thanks for the link! I'll show this at work tomorrow. Very cool

Bruce Blomfield is the builder working with Bob. They had a good time building together. I think I was working at cold test and balance that day, opposite end of the building from the build floor.

Here's a link to a story about today's Hendrick build. Has a nice photo of Rick and Rich.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...ion/#more-6083
Very Cool Don, thanks We love reading about you guys and seeing the videos/news etc. I will pass the info along to Christian -I am sure he will like knowing the guys were able to see the segment
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Mitchell_
Intermediate

Curious - How technical do you need to be do to the build program? Is it worth doing if you're not a gear head?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Default Not sure - should I do it?

Originally Posted by Mitchell_
Curious - How technical do you need to be do to the build program? Is it worth doing if you're not a gear head?
You really don't need to be all that mechanical or experienced to do the program. Most who have done the builds have been very savvy at engines - but don't let it stop you if you aren't. We will work with you every step of the way.

One woman I worked with was not an engine junkie, but she did a very nice job completing her build. She learned quickly and was not at all nervous putting things together.

If you aren't comfortable with any aspect of the build you can watch as we complete that step. An example would be inserting pistons into the block, it takes a little bit of a knack, but our tools make it fairly easy. But we will work very patiently with you to instruct you to do it all if you desire.

If something does go wrong it will be immediately corrected. All of the torques are permanently recorded and there is a lot of error proofing throughout the build. Before completion your engine will go through leak testing and after completion it will go through a battery of tests, and finally will be hot tested and balanced. Nothing is left to chance when you do the Corvette Engine Build Experience (CEBE)!!

Also when you do a build, a professional photographer will document your entire build. You will have a top quality photo and video record to share with your friends.

So come on in - we'd love to build with you!

(And no - I don't get paid a commission - but maybe I should! )

Get notified of new replies

To Wixom center engine building video

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm wondering if GM will ever entertain someone paying to do a build if it isn't their engine. I didn't know about the program and bought the ZR1 in January at a dealership. Darn it. I would've loved to come up and learn how the engine goes together and meet the guys who build these awesome wonders.

Thanks Don and Wixom. I love my ZR1

Lisa
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Default Will someone let Lisa build their engine?

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
I'm wondering if GM will ever entertain someone paying to do a build if it isn't their engine. I didn't know about the program and bought the ZR1 in January at a dealership. Darn it. I would've loved to come up and learn how the engine goes together and meet the guys who build these awesome wonders.

Thanks Don and Wixom. I love my ZR1

Lisa
Hi Lisa!

We were asked that same question at the SEMA show last year.
There was a gent that wanted to build an LS9 but didn't want to buy the ZR1. I passed his request along - but I don't think it was taken too seriously.

One problem might be finding a ZR1 or Z06 buyer that would want an engine with someone else's name on it. But if you could prearrange with a buyer to do the build, that could probably be done. So Lisa, if your powers of persuasion are powerful enough, all you have to do is convince a buyer that you should do the build! No problem....

Seriously, I wish that you would have known about the CEBE program. It would have been very cool to have do your own engine.

I will forward your request to our plant manager and see if it can be done.

Have a great weekend - hope you get a chance to open 'er up!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:13 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Hi Lisa!

We were asked that same question at the SEMA show last year.
There was a gent that wanted to build an LS9 but didn't want to buy the ZR1. I passed his request along - but I don't think it was taken too seriously.

One problem might be finding a ZR1 or Z06 buyer that would want an engine with someone else's name on it. But if you could prearrange with a buyer to do the build, that could probably be done. So Lisa, if your powers of persuasion are powerful enough, all you have to do is convince a buyer that you should do the build! No problem....

Seriously, I wish that you would have known about the CEBE program. It would have been very cool to have do your own engine.

I will forward your request to our plant manager and see if it can be done.

Have a great weekend - hope you get a chance to open 'er up!
Hey thanks Don. I would've loved to have been there to help build my engine. Too cool. I don't know that I'd want my name on it per se though. Sort of takes away from the historical value to me.

Anyway, I'd definitely pay to come up there and do that. It would be a great experience and learning.

BTW, I opened her up on the highway a couple of days ago. That supercharger kicked in - OMG That's truly the first time since I've had the car that I got on it like that. Obviously now, I must do it again.

Can't wait to get my poster of you guys. I plan to frame it and put it in my garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wixom center engine building video