Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Eaton TVS R2300 compressor map

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Eaton TVS R2300 compressor map

Behold...

I could not find this so our friends at Magnuson hooked us up. I was curious to see if the speculation that the LS9's supercharger was out of it's efficiency range at 18psi. By our calculations, this is not the case. At 7000rpm, the supercharger loses 6% efficiency going from 10.5psi to 18psi. In my opinion, 6% is not a huge drop.

The debate came up due to a ZR1 that made 700rwhp and these numbers seemed low. I think another contributing factor is that on the chassis dyno, these cars must be seeing tremendous heat soak in the intercoolers. I would be curious to see what the intake charge temperatures are in these conditions.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Katech_Zach

Speaking of intercooling, the delta temperature going from 13,000rpm (10.5psi relative pressure) to 16,000rpm (18psi relative pressure) takes you from 90 degrees F, to 220 degrees F. If you're adding 130 degrees to the intake charge without increasing intercooling capacity there is your power loss.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Behold...

I could not find this so our friends at Magnuson hooked us up. I was curious to see if the speculation that the LS9's supercharger was out of it's efficiency range at 18psi. By our calculations, this is not the case. At 7000rpm, the supercharger loses 6% efficiency going from 10.5psi to 18psi. In my opinion, 6% is not a huge drop.

The debate came up due to a ZR1 that made 700rwhp and these numbers seemed low. I think another contributing factor is that on the chassis dyno, these cars must be seeing tremendous heat soak in the intercoolers. I would be curious to see what the intake charge temperatures are in these conditions.
Speaking of intercooling, the delta temperature going from 13,000rpm (10.5psi relative pressure) to 16,000rpm (18psi relative pressure) takes you from 90 degrees F, to 220 degrees F. If you're adding 130 degrees to the intake charge without increasing intercooling capacity there is your power loss.
Very interesting and good info Jason. I guess the guys will have to find another reason to beat the owner of that car up, now that 18PSI is not considered a drastic reduction in efficiency....
Old 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM
gm4life
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you posted that. I was wondering way folks was saying it was running out of steam. The MP 2300 is supporting 950hp LSX.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 PM
1 BAD ZR1
Full size member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

I think another contributing factor is that on the chassis dyno, these cars must be seeing tremendous heat soak in the intercoolers. I would be curious to see what the intake charge temperatures are in these conditions.
You are very correct about the heat soak. We would lose 50hp after heat soak on my ZR1.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason, can you repost that picture with a line drawn over it to represent the stock operating conditions and a line to represent the modified operating conditions? This will make it much more obvious to those not used to reading compressor maps.

IMO, the ZR1 heads are likely a restriction. They have a huge swirl producing feature in the intake port that will surely improve emissions through better fuel mixture but will almost surely kill their power production potential as well. Stick a good CNC program through that intake port and I bet that 18 psi of manifold pressure will drop pretty quick.

Likewise with the stock motor at 10.5 psi, I was a little shocked to see "only" 638 hp out of a motor of this size with that much positive manifold pressure...

Has anyone flow-benched the stock ZR1 heads yet? Since the cam in the car in question was changed it leaves only the heads as suspect IMO.

What style of intake port was used on the ZR1 head? Will other GM heads swap in?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

At 7000rpm, the supercharger loses 6% efficiency going from 10.5psi to 18psi. In my opinion, 6% is not a huge drop.
One more thing, how are you seeing a 6% drop? I did the following:

10.5 psi = 1.7 PR
18 psi = 2.2 PR

If you follow the immaginary 13,000 RPM line up to an intersection with the immaginary 1.7 PR line you get about 65% efficiency, and if you follow the 16,000 RPM line up to the immaginary 2.2 PR line you get about 61% efficiency. This tells me the drop is more like 4%.

Did I do this wrong?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Jason, can you repost that picture with a line drawn over it to represent the stock operating conditions and a line to represent the modified operating conditions? This will make it much more obvious to those not used to reading compressor maps.

IMO, the ZR1 heads are likely a restriction. They have a huge swirl producing feature in the intake port that will surely improve emissions through better fuel mixture but will almost surely kill their power production potential as well. Stick a good CNC program through that intake port and I bet that 18 psi of manifold pressure will drop pretty quick.

Likewise with the stock motor at 10.5 psi, I was a little shocked to see "only" 638 hp out of a motor of this size with that much positive manifold pressure...

Has anyone flow-benched the stock ZR1 heads yet? Since the cam in the car in question was changed it leaves only the heads as suspect IMO.

What style of intake port was used on the ZR1 head? Will other GM heads swap in?

Here is the an estimation. I made sure to not that on the image before this gets quoted all over the internet.

Unfortunately the pressure map does not go over a 2.4 pressure ratio so the 18psi dot is off the scale. For those who will ask why 18psi is not 2.2 pressure ratio like it should be, we estimated a pressure drop over the intercoolers since Eaton is measuring the compressor discharge pressure and the car is measuring manifold pressure after the intercoolers (I think).

I think LS9 head ports are the same as LS3. I'll go check.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Katech_Zach

One more thing, how are you seeing a 6% drop? I did the following:

10.5 psi = 1.7 PR
18 psi = 2.2 PR

If you follow the immaginary 13,000 RPM line up to an intersection with the immaginary 1.7 PR line you get about 65% efficiency, and if you follow the 16,000 RPM line up to the immaginary 2.2 PR line you get about 61% efficiency. This tells me the drop is more like 4%.

Did I do this wrong?

I think my most recent post answers this. In short, we estimated a greater pressure drop over the intercoolers at a higher boost level. When you do it this way you get 65%-59%=6%. These are just estimations. We don't know the actual.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Katech_Zach

Yea, LS9 intake port layout looks the same as LS3.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Katech_Zach

According to GM, the swirl wing does not adversely affect power on the supercharged engine.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

So the ZR1 will need a larger heat exchanger if the boost is turned up?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

According to GM, the swirl wing does not adversely affect power on the supercharged engine.
Hmm... it would be interesting to flow a set of LS9 heads to see what GM's interpretation really means in practice. A stock LS6 with headers will make similar peak power with only ~7 psi from a centrifugal. Better intercooling might make up part of the centrifugal's advantage, but I'd be suprised if it was all in the intercooling since the LS6 has smaller intake ports and is a smaller motor by a half liter.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kappa
Or a meth system?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by Kappa
That would certainly help.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
0HennesseyPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

they flow 314 cfm and they will flow more. but they are not the reason for higher iat's when running more boost.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be wrong, but it seems to be generating an awful lot of heat. GM advertised the 4 lobe Eaton 2.3 to be almost as efficient as a turbo (near 80%). This map seems like it’s from a 3 lobe 2.3, the efficiency range is off. Although reading maps and looking at sustained volume/efficiency is not as critical with a SC as it is a turbo (a SC only reaches max boost briefly, not sustained), I would not choose this setup. It would take extensive cooling to counter the ever growing temps at peak boost. I posted a question in another link to see if anyone has logged IATs on a full run.

Originally Posted by gm4life
Glad you posted that. I was wondering way folks was saying it was running out of steam. The MP 2300 is supporting 950hp LSX.
It's not about running out of “steam”, you can spin this thing to create 30lbs or till it blows apart. It's about the efficiency per increase in psi (not going into the rpm, VE, and all the formulas). There reaches a point on all compressors where heat robs power, or more specifically, negates it and also becomes volatile causing severe detonation etc.

check out this link for more info http://www.enginelogics.com/cmaps.html

Last edited by GForceSS; 02-23-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Eaton TVS R2300 compressor map

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

That would certainly help.
so, you are saying the weak link is the intercoolers?

that could be a possiblity.. i also think the car might make more power on real driving experience as you are getting fresh air...

the only thing the kind of makes me think it might not be the cooling is b.c the guy who made 700.. let the car cool off with a bag of ice and it still did not help...now i do not know how long or how cold the engine got.. but it should have had one 800rwhp pull.. from dead start?

Last edited by vegasredz062; 03-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by vegasredz062
so, you are saying the weak link is the intercoolers?

that could be a possiblity.. i also think the car might make more power on real driving experience as you are getting fresh air...

the only thing the kind of makes me think it might not be the cooling is b.c the guy who made 700.. let the car cool off with a bag of ice and it still did not help...now i do not know how long or how cold the engine got.. but it should have had one 800rwhp pull.. from dead start?

I would hate to use the word weak link. How about "completely engineered upgrade package." If you're adding more power you need to get more heat out right?

I definitely agree with you.

I personally think the bag of ice does nothing. It might draw some heat away from the top of the intercooler housing, but seriously, how much heat could you really be drawing from the entire system?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:15 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hate to use the word weak link. How about "completely engineered upgrade package." If you're adding more power you need to get more heat out right?

I definitely agree with you.

I personally think the bag of ice does nothing. It might draw some heat away from the top of the intercooler housing, but seriously, how much heat could you really be drawing from the entire system?

Very good political stance too

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Eaton TVS R2300 compressor map