Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] GM service sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM
jgaches
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM service sucks

Car's been in three times in 9k mikes. Key FOB recall, headgasket, and now one of the cats died. I took it in for a check engine light and the guys tells me I need to leave it with him for a few hours. I ask him to plug in the hand held scanner and see what the code is because I do not have time to leave it, and need to make sure it's not serious. He argues and tells me it will not likely tell them what needs to be fixed. After more exchanged looks and coments ,the lead tech comes out. 30 seconds later says, "order a cat and gaskets". Geez was that so damn hard!

Get a call from them today saying the cat is in. I say great i can look at my schedule and let them know when I can drop it off and pick up a loaner car. He says, "Loaner car, this will take all day but it will not be over night so GM will not pay for a loaner car." OMG, I dropped 80k at that dealership and they can't let me use a car for a day. What a joke. They have a lot full of used cars and dealer demos. Don't care what I get I just need a car to get to work. These guys suck out loud.

Sorry, had to vent.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear your pain man...
I have a few things that need to be looked at on my 08Z and have delaying and putting it off for a month now...
I truly hate taking my car to any chevy dealership...What a joke!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:19 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry for you trouble but you know going in it has to be overnight to get a car. I have recieved good service over the years from all GM dealers going back to the early 70's.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:28 PM
jgaches
Pro

John, if a customer that dropped that kind of money at BMW, Lexus, Benz, etc asked for a car to use while warranty work was being done what do you think the dealership would do? Even if it was for 2hrs. Not to mention the fact that it's been in three times already.

I didn't buy a Cobalt. If I did, I might understand. And I have nothing against Cobalts, heck I'd take one on loan if they offered it.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM
2SINISTER
Racer

Yeah, you definitely get better service at a Lexus dealership (only one I have had experience with). They'll give you a loaner even if the car will only be in for a couple hours. All they ask is you let them know when you make your service appointment.

Last edited by 2SINISTER; 08-26-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-26-2008, 07:06 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Just hope they dont make any more issues for you!!! My car has had three return visits to the dealer in 2+ years to fix things that the dealer either broke or scratched while the car was in their possession!!! Check it over well!!!! When I took my car in for the 1st visit the dealer told me they would give me a loaner only on over night repairs... I made a bit of an issue of it and they gave me one. Might try that....
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jgaches
Car's been in three times in 9k mikes. Key FOB recall, headgasket, and now one of the cats died. I took it in for a check engine light and the guys tells me I need to leave it with him for a few hours. I ask him to plug in the hand held scanner and see what the code is because I do not have time to leave it, and need to make sure it's not serious. He argues and tells me it will not likely tell them what needs to be fixed. After more exchanged looks and coments ,the lead tech comes out. 30 seconds later says, "order a cat and gaskets". Geez was that so damn hard!

Get a call from them today saying the cat is in. I say great i can look at my schedule and let them know when I can drop it off and pick up a loaner car. He says, "Loaner car, this will take all day but it will not be over night so GM will not pay for a loaner car." OMG, I dropped 80k at that dealership and they can't let me use a car for a day. What a joke. They have a lot full of used cars and dealer demos. Don't care what I get I just need a car to get to work. These guys suck out loud.

Sorry, had to vent.
If you don't mind the drive, come and see me in Fairfield.
Todd969
Instructor

John, if a customer that dropped that kind of money at BMW, Lexus, Benz, etc asked for a car to use while warranty work was being done what do you think the dealership would do? Even if it was for 2hrs. Not to mention the fact that it's been in three times already.

I didn't buy a Cobalt. If I did, I might understand. And I have nothing against Cobalts, heck I'd take one on loan if they offered it.

This is a fact. I own a 2008 BMW and have had it in twice for small fixits and both times was offered a loaner. I recall our 99 & 04 Cobras also came with a loaner deal through SVT.

Sad that customer service is not a priority. Is Westminster to far away from you? Camino Real sure seems great from my experience.

Todd
Old 08-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

So just what part of this service "sucked"? They acceeded to your request (after some arguing, granted), they have, I gather, successfully fixed your car twice, and they wouldn't give you a freebie loaner that you already knew was not part of the deal? That's it, that's your whole bitch? You want BMW, Benz, Lexus service, go buy one and pay their much higher prices. Nothing in life is free.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry, had to vent.
Go to your salesman and tell him you need a demo and you need it now.

Whenever I take mine in, I call my salesman, tell him I'm coming and he asks if I'll need his demo all day or not.

If it takes all day, he'll get something else off the lot to drive home.

80k for that car and they can't give you a demo. They have a Malibu or a Cobalt or something around there that they can let you drive in to work.

They can give you something that they just took in on trade as long as it's nice, if they have to.

If they refuse, let them know that they will never see any more of your business again. In fact, I wouldn't let them do the warranty repair, I'd take it somewhere else to have it done.

They may not give you a demo at the second dealership either, but if you are going to get screwed, then may as well let someone else do it as opposed to the people who already got your 80k.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannet
So just what part of this service "sucked"? They acceeded to your request (after some arguing, granted), they have, I gather, successfully fixed your car twice, and they wouldn't give you a freebie loaner that you already knew was not part of the deal? That's it, that's your whole bitch? You want BMW, Benz, Lexus service, go buy one and pay their much higher prices. Nothing in life is free.
I've been to three different Chevy dealers, I always meet the service manager 1st and tip both he and the SA. So far it really has not helped me out. I always feel like my car comes back with something else broken from the dealer!!! Forget the stupid loaner car.. just fix the car and dont break anything is all I want. I have yet to get that!!!!!

The best service I ever got was with a Prowler I used to have. I hate to say it but they treated Prowler owners special over at Chrysler!!!!!
I am sure there are some Chevy dealers that get it right, just not near me. I hear there is one about 1 hour away that is the best in the area. I guess I will try that next..... Hopefully there wont be a next.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:27 PM
jgaches
Pro

You should go work at this GM service dept. I say "this" becaue I am sure they are not all the same.

Where did they acceed my request? Because I knew better then the service guy and requested they take a few minutes to plug in a Tech II before I have to commit to leaving it and find my own way home? That is in no way acceeding.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gannett ,
Your time will come my friend...
BTW lol@ your buy a lexus comment, kinda dumb if you ask me ...
Did you forget that the most expensive lexus is right around what a Z costs? duuuuuuuh
Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Funny you should mention a Cobalt. I brought my 08 to the dealership last week for a "service traction control, reduced engine power" problem. They had it for 5 days and gave me a Cobalt loaner. I went from the top of the line GM model to the bottom of the line Cobalt with roll up windows and push button door locks. It turned out to be the accelerator pedal and sensor unit. They fixed the problem though, and I have no complaints.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
jgaches
Pro

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
If you don't mind the drive, come and see me in Fairfield.
Rich,
I have heard nothing but great things about you and your operation. It may just be coming up to you.

Thanks,
Old 08-26-2008, 07:41 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 383vett
They had it for 5 days and gave me a Cobalt loaner. I went from the top of the line GM model to the bottom of the line Cobalt with roll up windows and push button door locks.
The scary thing is the Cobalt and my DD Cavalier are way more reliable than our cars.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I have to drop of my 09 Z06 tomorrow at Reliable to have the axle nuts replaced. They have to be loc-tited and so the car has to sit for 24 hrs to cure. Reliable said they will put me in a car while mine is in the shop. I declined as I have other cars to drive, so they drop me off and pick me up with their shuttle van. It's all about the dealer you have, and if they value you as a customer.

Get notified of new replies

To GM service sucks

Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I'd say this is entirely dependent on the dealer. I've had more than one Audi, Porsche, BMW, and Acura. So far my Chevy dealer has been by far the most responsive dealership I have ever dealt with. On more than one occasion I've brought my car in expecting to leave it there overnight and they have fixed it while I wait. And this is with no appointment.

Oh, and I didn't even buy the car from this dealer...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll ask my neighbor who is a service writer at a Toyota dealership. Every thing has a cost and a rental car for a day with all the paper work is a cost. As for 80,000 you can spend 55+ for a pickup truck now. I understand you feelings but it is a deal that is known. May be they raise the price on all the Vette for X dollars and give you a rental for any work done.

Ford dealer told me yea we have cars when you need service I said great and bought it. Then when you need service yea we have one but you need to wait a week At least GM is after 24 hr. So when I need some thing done I tell them have a rental there for me. They usually give me one then. Once they had it and fixed it as I rode in some small POS for 4 days. They screwed up the paper work and said it wasn't fixed till I really went off then guy said it was fixed 3 days ago.

I bought my GS in 96 for 48,000 three weeks later tranny falls apart. I pull into deli and then go for reverse. I had one gear 3rd only. Drove it to dealer at 85 mph I was so pissed. Then no car for 4 weeks as the had no ZF tranny to replace it.

Last edited by John Shiels; 08-26-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 PM
augydog
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I hope for your sake you have a good dealer near you if you ever need to take your car in.

Otherwise, you'll be singing the same song we do when you leave and your car is in worse shape than when it went in.

augydog

Quick Reply: [Z06] GM service sucks