Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Corvette SS/BD/Z08 Spied on test track with a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

If the SS comes with a magna ride system similar to what Delphi and Ferrari have done the future C7 is looking better and better.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David_Yu
Hmm. In a straight line, the 599 is way quicker than a stock Z06.

I know there are some US mags that have tested the Z at 3.5s to 60, but none have got close to 7.4s to 100!

Ranger gets a stock Z to 60 in 3.1 seconds.....

So ... even granny should get 3.5 times
Old 05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by robvuk
More pics of a Z06 with black tape.
It is a Z06 BODY WITH THE NEW POWERTRAIN. That is how they test just about every new car. There were C4's running around with C5 powertrains for years. And the same for the C6. You need to buy a Corvette book and READ IT!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:01 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
If the SS comes with a magna ride system similar to what Delphi and Ferrari have done the future C7 is looking better and better.
One magazine test of the 599 said that the magna ride used on the 599 came FROM GM. A great sign indeed. The Super-vette will have the magna ride AND A F1 STYLE TRANSMISSION SIMILAR TO THE 599. Acceleration to 60 will be achieved in 3.1 to 3.3 seconds. Quarter mile in the high 10's. Top speed will be around 205-208. You can bank those numbers. I promise you!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
It is a Z06 BODY WITH THE NEW POWERTRAIN. That is how they test just about every new car. There were C4's running around with C5 powertrains for years. And the same for the C6. You need to buy a Corvette book and READ IT!
I am well aware of all the mules from the past. That's why the yawn. Everybody's getting excited about spy photos when all you can see is a basic Z06 with black tape over the few parts they changed. Can't tell anything from that and you certainly can't see the drivetrain. Show me a spy shot of an SS without black tape over the critical parts and I'll get excited. But as long as the SS will share the same chassis as the Z06, there will be no need for GM to be out and about with the new body parts. Those don't need much testing.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 PM
ttgangsta
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have a 599, and I have raced a ZO6, and believe me the 599 wins. Don't get defensive, I LOVE the zo6 and I think we will get the new ZO7 or whatever they choose to call it when it comes out. In fact I test drove the ZO6 while looking at 430s at the ferrari dealer. Ferrari and Corvette are very different cars, and ferrari is not about just cruising around at 25mph trying to get some ***. I know forums hate people who browse their forums and occasionally post about another car, but common guys the 599 is a engineering feat and any true car guy can respect that.

I can't see how the 599 could beat the ZO7 if it really does have 650+ hp assuming there are two equal drivers in both cars. The ZO7 will have so much torque and as demonstrated by the ZO6 handles like a race car. The issues for the ZO7 will be added weight of the bigger engine which may disrupt the balance, and if they do choose to go with a sequential manual gear box it will take them some time to develop efficient software. I have the utmost confidence GM has all the resources in the world to make that car dominate most everything on the road, but fine tuning the SMGs has proven to be a task for everyone that has used one. I think at tracks around the country the 599 will probably beat the ZO7 just because the F1 traction control programs are so superior to GMs and most people lack the talent to really move a super car around a track on their own. The F1 transmission software, which is the weakest link in the transmission chain regardless of car company, is the best at Ferrari and no one can touch them. Case in point lambo uses the same transmission as Ferrari, yet the Ferrari software is so superior that system as a whole is night and day better. I can't wait for the ZO7 to dominate and I really hope GM doesn't hold anything back because that car WILL sell like hot cakes as long as its under 140k.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default That's the only reason you own it ??????

Originally Posted by ttgangsta
Ferrari and Corvette are very different cars, and ferrari is not about just cruising around at 25mph trying to get some ***.

So then, if as you say Corvettes are just about trying to get some ***, then I guess Ferraris must be just about trying to get some more expensive and faster ***? Hmm - maybe you're just jealous we've all found a more efficent way to do it?

Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 AM
verbs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttgangsta
The issues for the ZO7 will be added weight of the bigger engine which may disrupt the balance
The engine itself will not be any bigger or heavier, however the blower may add a few pounds. That will be offset with the extensive use of carbon fiber body panels and other weight savings.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
flight23
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Ferrari always sends juiced cars to the rags for tests. You will have a very hard time matching the mags with one you buy at your local dealer.
That's because they are still trying to get back at GM for what Jim Wangers did in 1967 with the GTO...
Old 08-11-2007, 01:55 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
So then, if as you say Corvettes are just about trying to get some ***, then I guess Ferraris must be just about trying to get some more expensive and faster ***? Hmm - maybe you're just jealous we've all found a more efficent way to do it?

Read it again - maybe you will get it the second time.

The other day a friend buying a Porsche, is considering buying a Z-06 as well, but "heard" th Z-06 is not a great street car.

I own a Z-06 and 430 among other cars.

IMO the Z-06 is a "hot rod", not an exotic. It is a very fast car (too fast for some on the street), but noisy and a rough ride. Few women would want to sit in the car any longer than necessary.

The 430 may be the perfect road car. I won't belabor differences since this is a Corvette Forum. If you get a chance drive one and then comment.

For those obsessed with "***", a Z-06 and 430 will help those in need, but in different neighborhoods. As intimated, if you invite her into the vette, live close by before she changes her mind. Best
Old 08-11-2007, 02:53 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Default Thanks anyway..............

Originally Posted by RBK
Read it again - maybe you will get it the second time.

For those obsessed with "***", a Z-06 and 430 will help those in need, but in different neighborhoods. As intimated, if you invite her into the vette, live close by before she changes her mind. Best

...............but where I live here in Los Gatos, CA Ferraris are a dime a dozen for all the dot com posers who are trying to fufill their ego needs. The truly serious posers have moved on to Lambos or Astons from the dealerships here in town. I may not be in your economic strata but would be willing to be I have at least as much exposure to the cars and those who own and drive them as you do - and to what their motivation for ownership is. Trust me - it ain't for the perfomance!

If "***" was my motivation I'd take out my '67 to troll - around here it is far rarer and draws more attention than any Ferrari, 430 or not - except maybe a 250 GTO, and I saw 2 originals of those at a local show last month.

I've owned the '67 for 35 years, and don't feel I need to justify my continuing interest in Corvettes to someone who can afford more expensive toys and justifies it on the basis that anyone who can't must be doing so for other motivations. There are posers and new money wanna bees at all socio economic levels. The common interest in our cars should be enough to enable us to relate without questioning each other's motivation. How about this - you don't assume that someone who drives a Corvette is just trolling for ***, and I won't assume that all Ferrari owners are just throwing money at their ego needs? Deal?

On a technical note, the mag ride suspension is really interesting. Notice how the Ferrari factory always sells prior generation F1 engines to other teams and keeps the current technology for themselves for at least a year? Think maybe our boys at GM have noticed that game?

Old 08-11-2007, 05:14 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
...............but where I live here in Los Gatos, CA Ferraris are a dime a dozen for all the dot com posers who are trying to fufill their ego needs. The truly serious posers have moved on to Lambos or Astons from the dealerships here in town. I may not be in your economic strata but would be willing to be I have at least as much exposure to the cars and those who own and drive them as you do - and to what their motivation for ownership is. Trust me - it ain't for the perfomance!

If "***" was my motivation I'd take out my '67 to troll - around here it is far rarer and draws more attention than any Ferrari, 430 or not - except maybe a 250 GTO, and I saw 2 originals of those at a local show last month.

I've owned the '67 for 35 years, and don't feel I need to justify my continuing interest in Corvettes to someone who can afford more expensive toys and justifies it on the basis that anyone who can't must be doing so for other motivations. There are posers and new money wanna bees at all socio economic levels. The common interest in our cars should be enough to enable us to relate without questioning each other's motivation. How about this - you don't assume that someone who drives a Corvette is just trolling for ***, and I won't assume that all Ferrari owners are just throwing money at their ego needs? Deal?

On a technical note, the mag ride suspension is really interesting. Notice how the Ferrari factory always sells prior generation F1 engines to other teams and keeps the current technology for themselves for at least a year? Think maybe our boys at GM have noticed that game?

Sounds reasonable to me. As long as you are enjoying yourself, no one has anything over you. There are some who have money and misery and others not as wealthy but rich nevertheless.Best
Old 08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Dolph
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RBK
Sounds reasonable to me. As long as you are enjoying yourself, no one has anything over you. There are some who have money and misery and others not as wealthy but rich nevertheless.Best
The Lyrical poet has spoken!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:30 AM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by robvuk
More pics of a Z06 with black tape.
What would you like, an 8x12 glossy of the finished car?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:18 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
What would you like, an 8x12 glossy of the finished car?
Yes.
My point is, there certainly is no point in getting excited over pictures of the current body Z06 with a big hood, is there? We all know what that looks like long ago.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a quick note that some people here need to read:

ttgangsta was not saying the Corvette is used to troll for ladies.
His comment was directed to another individual who said earlier that Ferraris are only good for picking up ladies and not to be used on the track.

I'm still questioning how GM plans to connect all of that power to the street. Also, given the limited traction of the current ZO6, will there really be that much of an acceleration difference between the ZO6 and the ZO7 in speeds less than 100mph?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:39 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by FASST LN
Just a quick note that some people here need to read:

ttgangsta was not saying the Corvette is used to troll for ladies.
His comment was directed to another individual who said earlier that Ferraris are only good for picking up ladies and not to be used on the track.

I'm still questioning how GM plans to connect all of that power to the street. Also, given the limited traction of the current ZO6, will there really be that much of an acceleration difference between the ZO6 and the ZO7 in speeds less than 100mph?
"Ferraris are only good for picking up ladies and not to be used on the track."

Think again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcEj2...elated&search=

"Also, given the limited traction of the current ZO6, will there really be that much of an acceleration difference between the ZO6 and the ZO7 in speeds less than 100mph? "

GM are testing magnetic suspension and (I'm sure) other refinements that will prevent the "supervette" from merely generating a cloud of smoke off the line.

Rest assured.

Edit: Unnecessary comments deleted.

Last edited by 2KZ28CAM; 08-17-2007 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 AM
noahdr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But 2KZ28 that video is an Enzo you cant even buy that car. Ferrari picks who they want to sell that car to.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Corvette SS/BD/Z08 Spied on test track with a Ferrari