Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stunning C6 Z06 info!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 07:14 PM
DsC5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EB20003
I've seen the pics and read the specs. Hopefully it's my next Vette. But at 70K I don't know. 70K for a Chevy is as crazy as 80K for a Dodge.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:31 PM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Those that can afford a 65-70k Z06 will buy it and those that can't will buy the C6. 65k isn't that much considering the performance especially when you consider that a decked out convertible will be close. It is unrealistic to think that you can get a car with all of the supposed capabilities , bells and whistles of the new Z06 for old Z06 prices. It comes down to the old addage that if you want to play you have to pay. Not everyone will be able to afford a new Z06 and thus will buy what they can afford. Different strokes for different folks is what I say. ANd as for it being a 65-70k Chevrolet, well they will probably sell everyone they make just like Dodge sells every Viper it makes. And as for it still being just a Chevrolet, well I don't think Mercedes has a problem selling their low 30s model along with their 100k plus models now do they?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:43 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
Those that can afford a 65-70k Z06 will buy it and those that can't will buy the C6. 65k isn't that much considering the performance especially when you consider that a decked out convertible will be close. It is unrealistic to think that you can get a car with all of the supposed capabilities , bells and whistles of the new Z06 for old Z06 prices. It comes down to the old addage that if you want to play you have to pay. Not everyone will be able to afford a new Z06 and thus will buy what they can afford. Different strokes for different folks is what I say. ANd as for it being a 65-70k Chevrolet, well they will probably sell everyone they make just like Dodge sells every Viper it makes. And as for it still being just a Chevrolet, well I don't think Mercedes has a problem selling their low 30s model along with their 100k plus models now do they?
Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

too!
Old 11-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those that can afford a 65-70k Z06 will buy it and those that can't will buy the C6.
No sir, you are wrong. You are generalizing. I CAN afford a 65-70k Z06. I won't buy it and I won't buy a C6 Z51.

I paid cash for my current car. No interest, no payments. No hassles if the job goes away.

If you pay cash, you see things a lot clearer.

Here's clarity. My 2002 Z06 is worth $28k - roughly. If the Z06 is $70k, then that means I've got to come up with $42k.

Is the 2006 Z06 $42k better than my car?

I'll sit that one out.

65k isn't that much considering the performance especially when you consider that a decked out convertible will be close.
I don't get convertibles.

It is unrealistic to think that you can get a car with all of the supposed capabilities , bells and whistles of the new Z06 for old Z06 prices.
A few thoughts:

1. We did with the C5 Z06.
2. The C6 coupe cost less, or even with options stickers comparably to a C5 coupe.
3. GM has always stripped the Z06 so that it has less options, is more racecar-like and thus the price comes in at around a convertible.

Not everyone will be able to afford a new Z06 and thus will buy what they can afford.
And that is fine. If GM would prefer to alienate all the current Z06 owners who aren't willing to throw away 3/4 of a hundred grand on a car - that is their business. I won't be a customer anymore. A lot of Corvette owners will remain loyal. They'll brag about how cool the Z06 is, while former Porsche drivers begin to actually drive their favorite car.

Different strokes for different folks is what I say. ANd as for it being a 65-70k Chevrolet, well they will probably sell everyone they make just like Dodge sells every Viper it makes.
All 1,400 of them - every year. Hmm, that is going to be a problem though, since they're planning on making ~6,000 of them.

And as for it still being just a Chevrolet, well I don't think Mercedes has a problem selling their low 30s model along with their 100k plus models now do they?
That's because Mercedes $30k cars are made better than GM's $70k cars.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:56 AM
pitrider
Pro

Old 11-14-2004, 01:46 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
No sir, you are wrong. You are generalizing. I CAN afford a 65-70k Z06. I won't buy it and I won't buy a C6 Z51.

I paid cash for my current car. No interest, no payments. No hassles if the job goes away.

If you pay cash, you see things a lot clearer.

Here's clarity. My 2002 Z06 is worth $28k - roughly. If the Z06 is $70k, then that means I've got to come up with $42k.

Is the 2006 Z06 $42k better than my car?

I'll sit that one out.

I don't get convertibles.

A few thoughts:

1. We did with the C5 Z06.
2. The C6 coupe cost less, or even with options stickers comparably to a C5 coupe.
3. GM has always stripped the Z06 so that it has less options, is more racecar-like and thus the price comes in at around a convertible.

And that is fine. If GM would prefer to alienate all the current Z06 owners who aren't willing to throw away 3/4 of a hundred grand on a car - that is their business. I won't be a customer anymore. A lot of Corvette owners will remain loyal. They'll brag about how cool the Z06 is, while former Porsche drivers begin to actually drive their favorite car.

All 1,400 of them - every year. Hmm, that is going to be a problem though, since they're planning on making ~6,000 of them.

That's because Mercedes $30k cars are made better than GM's $70k cars.

The new Z will be a major step up in every area over the old one: engine, frame, brakes, handling, exotic lightweight materials etc.......

So i understand your feeling!!!! No owner of a previous generation likes to see its car overwhelm in every area by the new model......

But that is life you can build the best car in the planet and there are going to be always complains.....

The majority of the people are anxious to see this car because looks like finally GM has build a supercar that can beat the big boys from europe.....
Old 11-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Traffic Jams
Drifting

Check out that 0-60 time... !!!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:10 AM
Halloween
Instructor

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone think that there is a possibility they will get rid of those hideous reverse lights and put them around the license plate?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Kaosinla
Pro

Location: Beverly Hills No Job is Too Small, No Fee is Too Big!!!

Old 11-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Snuckley
Racer

I feel 70k is too much and they may have a ZR-1 again but now with 10,000 to sell. The performance will be amazing for sure. The C6 styling hasn't won me over yet, but it took me a couple years to like some of the angles of the C5. The day to day drivability of those extra cu. in.'s will put a smile on any driver for sure. I have learned the frustration of buying a first year car(Volvo S80) and will definitely let GM do some more R & D on the first year Z06 before even considering one. It would be great to have the performance of my modified C5 in turn-key warranty car.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Dominicorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by ivan111
The majority of the people are anxious to see this car because looks like finally GM has build a supercar that can beat the big boys from europe.....
Yea right. Who are you kidding? GM will never beat them, not at these retail prices anyway. The power might only come up 100 hp short this time, unlike previous eras. So they might be getting closer. However, out of a 427 ci engine, European manufacturors would put out close to 800 hp. Why doesn't GM start using TT?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:47 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dominicorvette
Yea right. Who are you kidding? GM will never beat them, not at these retail prices anyway. The power might only come up 100 hp short this time, unlike previous eras. So they might be getting closer. However, out of a 427 ci engine, European manufacturors would put out close to 800 hp. Why doesn't GM start using TT?
I am talking about the Ferrari 430, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 997 Turbo not the Carrera GT and Enzo that mission if for the Blue Devil.....

997 Turbo power is going to be 460hp and with its 4WD system is going to be much heavier than the Z.......
Old 11-14-2004, 04:36 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Here is some info of the Z06 main rival:

Next 911 Turbo packs 460bhp punch

Porsche will put the squeeze on its supercar rivals in 2005 with a hot new 911 Turbo packing up to 460bhp. Caught here undergoing testing in early prototype guise, the sixth iteration of Porsche’s performance icon will go on sale in the UK this time next year.

At the heart of the new car is a reworked version of the outgoing model’s 3.6-litre flat-six engine. Among the changes are larger turbochargers, more-efficient intercoolers and revised engine management electronics.

Power is said to climb by 40bhp to 460bhp, with torque increasing to around 460lb ft – enough to propel the new car to 60mph in just 4.0sec, 0.2sec quicker than the current model. Despite a marginally increased frontal area, the improved underbody aerodynamics and a more efficient bi-plane rear wing should help the new 911 Turbo achieve a top speed in excess of the 191mph of today’s car.

But the biggest single factor in the Turbo’s increased performance is a new four-wheel-drive system, which incorporates electronic differentials that allow the drive to be apportioned independently to the wheel with the most grip. Further developments planned are a reworked six-speed manual gearbox with a shorter shift action, PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) with continuously variable damping, 19-inch wheels and tyres and PCCB (Porsche Ceramic Carbon Brakes).

The new car will also adopt an optional dual-clutch gearbox. As with Volkswagen’s DSG ’box, Porsche’s system includes shift paddles behind the steering wheel. Setting the new Turbo apart from lesser 911 models are a series of traditional styling cues, including uniquely styled cooling ducts, wider wheelarches, tailpipes set within the rear valance and the signature ‘whale tail’ spoiler mounted over the engine lid.

As with the outgoing 911 Turbo, Porsche plans to offer both coupé and cabriolet versions of the new model. Prices are expected to remain close to £90,000.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Dominicorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by ivan111
I am talking about the Ferrari 430, Lamborghini Gallardo, Porsche 997 Turbo not the Carrera GT and Enzo that mission if for the Blue Devil.....

997 Turbo power is going to be 460hp and with its 4WD system is going to be much heavier than the Z.......

Well, I don't know the weights of either car, but remember that the 911 has an engine that is 3.6 liters, not 7.0. That's about half the displacement. Two times 460hp would beeeee..... well over 800 hundred I'd say. Yep, my calculator thinks so too. There's no comparison in power, they win.
Besides, no American car has handled as well as the Europeans have, ever. So regardless of power, it wouldn't be as quick anyway, just because it's not as quick going round the track. They are on their way though, I mean the SRT-10 had a lot more power than the Corvette right now, but it won't beat it on the track. Simply because the Viper is even cruder.
But, for the new Z06, they should really change more than just the engine size to gain on the Europeans. Better brakes, maybe even ceramic ones, coil springs instead of leaf springs and stiffer suspension than any road going Corvette's ever had, would be a few steps in the right direction.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:48 PM
loser boy
Advanced

Well, I don't know the weights of either car, but remember that the 911 has an engine that is 3.6 liters, not 7.0. That's about half the displacement. Two times 460hp would beeeee..... well over 800 hundred I'd say. Yep, my calculator thinks so too. There's no comparison in power, they win.
Besides, no American car has handled as well as the Europeans have, ever. So regardless of power, it wouldn't be as quick anyway, just because it's not as quick going round the track. They are on their way though, I mean the SRT-10 had a lot more power than the Corvette right now, but it won't beat it on the track. Simply because the Viper is even cruder.
so how again is 460 bhp more than 500bhp......hp per liter matters why exactly? BTW the current Z06 is a muck better track car than the 911 turbo. Lap times at the "ring" don't lie. I think it's the europeans that need to catch up.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:59 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by loser boy
so how again is 460 bhp more than 500bhp......hp per liter matters why exactly? BTW the current Z06 is a muck better track car than the 911 turbo. Lap times at the "ring" don't lie. I think it's the europeans that need to catch up.

Yeah the Z06 handling is more neutral than the 996 Turbo....

The 996 Turbo has tons of unwanted understeer at its limits...

The next Z06 will have a good edge in both important areas over the 997 Turbo power and weight........

Get notified of new replies

To Stunning C6 Z06 info!!!!

Old 11-14-2004, 07:37 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Well, I don't know the weights of either car
So look them up. The 996 Turbo comes in at a hair over 3500lbs. The 997 Turbo will likely weigh in similarly. The C5 Z06 is quite a bit lighter than that; one assumes the Z6 Z06 will continue to be light.

but remember that the 911 has an engine that is 3.6 liters, not 7.0. That's about half the displacement.
So? Specific output (ie, HP/L) means nothing. Here in the states, we aren't taxed based on engine displacement (thank Heavens!) unlike folks in some European countries. For them, trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of a given displacement makes lots of sense. Not so in North America.

If you want a meaningful ratio, try power/overall weight.

There's no comparison in power, they win.
You're delusional. So's your calculator.

Besides, no American car has handled as well as the Europeans have, ever.
Says who, exactly? You? Have you track-tested every one of them, complete with timing devices, GPS tracking, etc? I know the answer, but I'll give you a chance to make an *** out of yourself anyhow.

So regardless of power, it wouldn't be as quick anyway, just because it's not as quick going round the track.
You haven't been paying much attention to the various comparos from the car rags, I take it. The C5 Z06 can keep up with, if not beat a 996 Turbo around a track.

SRT-10 had a lot more power than the Corvette right now, but it won't beat it on the track. Simply because the Viper is even cruder.
Do you remember 1996? Or were you too young at that point? Dodge released the Viper GTS and there wasn't a car within several hundreds of thousands of dollars that could compete. Not in top speed, acceleration, or overall handling. Only in braking did it fall short. Even so, it still whooped everyone's *** on the track, Porsche included.

If Dodge decides to release another coupe-based Viper, your beloved Porsche is going to get munched again (so might the Z06..)

But, for the new Z06, they should really change more than just the engine size to gain on the Europeans. Better brakes, maybe even ceramic ones
It seems fairly evident from the spy photos that better brakes are on the way. As for ceramics, ask all the guys who bought 996s with them. They're terrible, and completely unsuitable for a road-going car.

coil springs instead of leaf springs
Why?

and stiffer suspension than any road going Corvette's ever had, would be a few steps in the right direction.
Ah yes. We can relive the days of the mid-80s Z51 Corvettes, with suspension so stiff it rattled your fillings out. Great idea!

I hate to sink to ad hom attacks, but you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Really. You're clearly a Euro-car fanboy that's completely enraptured by whatever comes out of that continent, regardless of how expensive it may be, or how incapable it may be.

jas
Old 11-14-2004, 07:40 PM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I am suprised you guys responded to such inane, trollish assertions.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:19 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Huh?

So the _means_ by which power is made determines who "wins"? Hmm, let me ask you (and your calculator) this, what's heavier? A ton of lead, or a ton of feathers?

You don't know the weights, but regardless, the Porsche will be quicker? Well, heck, that's because of it's that fan-cee European horsepower!

DT

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stunning C6 Z06 info!!!!