Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Blackstone report - consistently high TI

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 04:50 PM
OhhhApieceOfCandy
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I agree. while I saw the same Ti levels as the OP, my engine was a much bigger build and it got used fully. My street driving is modest performance but my event performance use is extensive.

With just the Ti levels, I paid attention to it, but it was the later oil pressure drops that drove the bottom end rebuild. My situation and the OPs is similar only in that our Ti levels were similar.
Thanks for the responses, very insightful. I know this was years ago but do you remember how low were the pressure drops were that you were seeing? Also, what causes the rods to make contact and wear?
Old 04-17-2024, 10:56 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by OhhhApieceOfCandy
Thanks for the responses, very insightful. I know this was years ago but do you remember how low were the pressure drops were that you were seeing? Also, what causes the rods to make contact and wear?
It would drop from warm idle 23PSI down to about 16. Now 16 isn't bad as far as GM is concerned, but knowing the Ti readings, the history of LS7s and the $$$$$ I already had in the engine, I opted to get the bottom end fully forged and have the top end looked at (all was good up there).

two rods share the same crankshaft journal. Particularly when you do a power build like mine, the rods are known to scuff and wear the protective coating off the Ti, leading to potentially rapid wear. It also happens to stock LS7s, that are only street driven, but that is less frequent than built engines.

Quick Reply: Blackstone report - consistently high TI