Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Modded Z06 7:33 Nurburgring lap

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 03:29 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
With all due respect to owner and driver of the car in that video, way back in 2011 a stock 2012 Z06/Z07 did the NR in 7:22.68 and reached 171 MPH on that long straight. Back then, GM released video of that lap and it's pretty freakin' amazing.

At this point in time, I'm not sure where you'd find that Chevrolet video. I have a copy but it's a huge 731-mb file and I'm not sure I could post it here.

While I only watched the video posted by the OP one time, maybe I missed something but that car didn't run a full lap so I'm curious how the OP derived the 7:33 time. When he had to lift at the end, the time was at 7:57. If we subtract the six seconds at the beginning before he went WOT then passed the red BMW, the time would be 7:51, but still...the fact remains the lap wasn't complete.

Update: I texted a pal of mine who knows about that footage and he says it's on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sM-K-TNF8Y
Seems to me that comparing a run on the track all by oneself versus one having to pick, bob and weave thru all kinds of traffic isn't comparing apples to oranges, its more like comparing goat's milk to Sherman tanks.
The following users liked this post:
tommyc6z06 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:42 PM
Themack
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
With all due respect to owner and driver of the car in that video, way back in 2011 a stock 2012 Z06/Z07 did the NR in 7:22.68 and reached 171 MPH on that long straight. Back then, GM released video of that lap and it's pretty freakin' amazing.

At this point in time, I'm not sure where you'd find that Chevrolet video. I have a copy but it's a huge 731-mb file and I'm not sure I could post it here.

While I only watched the video posted by the OP one time, maybe I missed something but that car didn't run a full lap so I'm curious how the OP derived the 7:33 time. When he had to lift at the end, the time was at 7:57. If we subtract the six seconds at the beginning before he went WOT then passed the red BMW, the time would be 7:51, but still...the fact remains the lap wasn't complete.

Update: I texted a pal of mine who knows about that footage and he says it's on YouTube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sM-K-TNF8Y
When times are posted on the ring for "common folk" in traffic ie youtubers as seen in the video or Misha we are talking about BTG or bridge to gantry time, because the full track straightaway isnt open unless its actual sanctioned racing events or manufacturer testing. This is a common public day when the video was made where everyone and their brother can pay the toll and get on track. So 7:33 BTG with traffic correlates to like 7:45 full lap. Still fast for a street car
Old 04-21-2024, 05:35 PM
DerrickW
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Themack
When times are posted on the ring for "common folk" in traffic ie youtubers as seen in the video or Misha we are talking about BTG or bridge to gantry time, because the full track straightaway isnt open unless its actual sanctioned racing events or manufacturer testing. This is a common public day when the video was made where everyone and their brother can pay the toll and get on track. So 7:33 BTG with traffic correlates to like 7:45 full lap. Still fast for a street car
Good insights. But a little bit of Greek in there. What is "bridge to gantry" and what part of the straight away is not open? How does that alter the ultimate course length? Is a portion of the straight closed off so as to defacto limit the kinds of top speeds that novices can attain on it (for safety's sake)? Can you link or paste a depiction of the course in both configurations?
Old 04-21-2024, 06:22 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DerrickW
Good insights. But a little bit of Greek in there. What is "bridge to gantry" and what part of the straight away is not open? How does that alter the ultimate course length? Is a portion of the straight closed off so as to defacto limit the kinds of top speeds that novices can attain on it (for safety's sake)? Can you link or paste a depiction of the course in both configurations?
think this was explained in my post #20 above
DerrickW (04-22-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 06:28 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Themack
7:45? Bridge to Gantry on a flier, is about 20 seconds, so I believe the lap would have been 7:50 to 7:53 however,146 MPH isn't that fast. So you meant "quick for a street car." Right?

If that lap was quick for a modified street car then the footage from 2011, which also is of a street car–and a completely stock street car at that–must have been "almost unbelievably quick."
Old 04-21-2024, 06:58 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 699 Likes on 446 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Besides all the obvious differences, track config/length, tires, traffic, passenger, don't forget that on average 1.5miles of the track are repaved annually. 13yrs between the videos isn't quite back to back.
And, I'm wondering if the car in this latest video may also be tweaked a little 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 04-22-2024, 04:51 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by keithhogan
One of the best drives I’ve seen. Exhilarating!
Gotta love the 427.
Thanks for sharing
passagemaker43 (04-30-2024)
Old Today, 05:59 AM
MatsA
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Will try clarify what a BTG lap time is, the 7.33 time set in the video is done during the TF touristenfarhten = public session and thus the time is messured going under the Bridge where you start and the end where the Gantry is, racing apps or transponders can be set up to messure Bridge to Gantry lap time, this BTG lap time should not be compared to a real lap time set by factory teams or by Auto motor sport or track day times as they do the whole lap, you need to add some 20-30 seconds to convert a BTG lap to a full normal lap depending on the car, but do rest assured 7.33 during a TF lap is very fast, considering it is done with traffic and other regulations imposed on the car as every car is checked before going on the track at a TF needs to follow legal road laws by German TUW.

Passing under the Bridge at the start with speed starts your BTG lap.

Passing under the Gantry at the end of a TF public session lap concludes your BTG lap.

Last edited by MatsA; Today at 06:07 AM.
tommyc6z06 (Today)
Old Today, 08:13 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

It appeared to me the driver had probably never driven the car before. No heel and toe downshifts makes me sad for the driveline. Lock ups every time he goes to 3rd.

Old Today, 08:48 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,078 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickW
Can you link or paste a depiction of the course in both configurations?
Public day. Have to pull off to the right after the corner leading onto the main straight.

Manufacturer's day. They use the straight. Watch where the clock starts and ends.

If you ever want to see some good driving, search up Kevin Estre who gives customer rides. It appears to be a Porsche customer day. Configuration is the same as a public day, by the looks of it.

Quick Reply: Modded Z06 7:33 Nurburgring lap