Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:58 AM
Adawgg88
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to start?

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on where to start with my car. I have an 08 Z06 with about 85,000kms. New LS7 dropped in about 20,000kms ago. It still has about another years worth of warranty on the engine.

I do about one track day per month (Had a C7Z) and my goal is to do more events with this car and develop a more track focused build.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I should start upgrading my vehicle? I have some ideas but I am by no means an expert nor do I wish to waste a ton of money on things that truly do not matter.

All opinions are valued. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:27 AM
Burntoutaccountant
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Adawgg88
Hello,

I am looking for some advice on where to start with my car. I have an 08 Z06 with about 85,000kms. New LS7 dropped in about 20,000kms ago. It still has about another years worth of warranty on the engine.

I do about one track day per month (Had a C7Z) and my goal is to do more events with this car and develop a more track focused build.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I should start upgrading my vehicle? I have some ideas but I am by no means an expert nor do I wish to waste a ton of money on things that truly do not matter.

All opinions are valued. Thank you.
most popular cylinder heads are Tony Mano or American heritage performance. I ended up choosing a different vendor because of timing. I couldn’t get a hold of AHP. I talked to Tony Mano and he is great and went above and beyond in trying to help me.

intake manifold wise I would only choose the Tony mamo ported msd atomic. I originally purchased a fast 102 but am glad I sold it.

Do a CHE trunion upgrade. Nick Williams 103. Halltech cold air intake. Kooks headers. You don’t necessarily need a catback but they make nice sounds.

The variable is the camshaft. I went with cam motion because they’re my favorite cam designers. I went with an off the shelf cam designed for more streetable manners. Made 550rwhp and 520ish ft lbs. it’s more than enough.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:21 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,319 Likes on 890 Posts

I would start smaller and focus on tires and suspension. AMT Camber kit: https://amtmotorsport.com/collection...ble-camber-kit
Old 03-19-2024, 01:54 PM
kaysaw99
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Start here. I'm sure @Mordeth would be more than willing to walk you through more. Doesn't seem like he posts a lot anymore but when I reached out last year via PM he responded quickly was was very helpful. In summary:
  1. Fix the heads.
  2. Fix the oiling system.
  3. Upgrade the brakes and pads.
  4. Upgrade tires.
  5. Upgrade suspension.
  6. Address aero.
Old 03-19-2024, 02:46 PM
Adawgg88
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! This is much appreciated. I know about the head issue, what did you mean by fix the oiling system?
Old 03-19-2024, 02:53 PM
kaysaw99
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adawgg88
Awesome! This is much appreciated. I know about the head issue, what did you mean by fix the oiling system?
Your '08 has an 8 qt dry sump. You're going to want to upgrade that to an 11 qt system. Then while you're in there you probably want to add some baffles to further help prevent oil starvation. Check the link from my last post and then do some searching around the forums, there is a wealth of information on how to make these absolute track weapons without adding the cost/headaches that come with MO POWA.

And in my last post I forgot step 0: start with an alignment and all fresh fluids!
Old 03-22-2024, 07:12 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,015 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Burntoutaccountant
most popular cylinder heads are Tony Mano or American heritage performance. I ended up choosing a different vendor because of timing. I couldn’t get a hold of AHP. I talked to Tony Mano and he is great and went above and beyond in trying to help me.

intake manifold wise I would only choose the Tony mamo ported msd atomic. I originally purchased a fast 102 but am glad I sold it.

Do a CHE trunion upgrade. Nick Williams 103. Halltech cold air intake. Kooks headers. You don’t necessarily need a catback but they make nice sounds.

The variable is the camshaft. I went with cam motion because they’re my favorite cam designers. I went with an off the shelf cam designed for more streetable manners. Made 550rwhp and 520ish ft lbs. it’s more than enough.
Sorry we missed you sir.
There is currently only two of us in the office and the phone just rings and rings all day (good thing). But often times Email is by far the best way to get a hold of me
HP@americanheritageperformance.com
Just want to put that out there in case anyone else needs that info.
Kohle

https://americanheritageperformance....cylinder-heads
Old 03-26-2024, 03:18 PM
KennyPowers
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 105 Posts

If you want to track the thing, you'll want slicks no?

Pirelli slick take offs, you can get sets for about $7-800 depending.. they should last a few track days..

Haven't had mine out yet but my first purchases were head fix(really just a maintenance item), swap all fluids, set of 18's for slicks, and a car hauler.. mines a 09 so oil should be ok, but I have an ARE pan and pump waiting for my next investment which will be 3-way Penske

I dont think power is going to be a problem, harnessing the power with more GRIP is where I started..

Oh and a RACE SEAT is must when you get fast.. (if you find the c6Z guys at the track see what they did.. that's where I started.. then you get into brakes(AP), and drop spindles, and aero, and.. )
Old 04-01-2024, 09:15 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Tracking A Z06

Originally Posted by KennyPowers
If you want to track the thing, you'll want slicks no?

Pirelli slick take offs, you can get sets for about $7-800 depending.. they should last a few track days..

Haven't had mine out yet but my first purchases were head fix(really just a maintenance item), swap all fluids, set of 18's for slicks, and a car hauler.. mines a 09 so oil should be ok, but I have an ARE pan and pump waiting for my next investment which will be 3-way Penske

I dont think power is going to be a problem, harnessing the power with more GRIP is where I started..

Oh and a RACE SEAT is must when you get fast.. (if you find the c6Z guys at the track see what they did.. that's where I started.. then you get into brakes(AP), and drop spindles, and aero, and.. )
No, and I mean NO! The stock 09+ oil system or even an 06 - 08 Z06 with an 11 quart LPE tank will not stand up to the cornering Gs that a Z06 with Pirrelli racing slicks can produce. I know this for a fact because a friend's 06 with 11 quart LPE tank on Pirelli takeoffs can generate more than 1.85 G of corning force and this resulted in oil starvation and spinning of two rod bearings, which destroyed the engine, oil cooler, etc. Be careful more what you wish for....By the way, my friends car has been fixed with a new long block and a Dailey 5 stage dry sump system, bigger oil coolers, etc. It is also upgraded to an AP/Essex brake system, so now the car can sustain anything and everything the Pirelli slicks can ask of it. BTW cost of installed 5 stage Dailey dry sump, oil coolers, and AP/Essex brakes was about $22k! Not including the cost of a blown LS7.

OP has told us nothing about what his or her track skills are and all of the discussion is directed around what can be done to develop the car, with no discussion about developing the driver. If you want to learn how to drive on a road course, your recommendations are the wrong way to go. IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to start?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Where to start?