Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

2nd gear hard pull questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 08:51 PM
Chris09z
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2nd gear hard pull questions

I've never had a car with nannies but twice on this car I've had it fall on its face or back fire when if rolling into second hard getting on the highway. I usually let out and short shift to third and roll back in hard with no problems. I haven't turned traction control off yet to test if that's what it is, honestly to scared still. Is this what traction control feels like? I don't think the little squiggly car light comes on and I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting the limiter but honestly I'm having a hard time looking at the dash lol, still a little up tight with this car. Thanks
Old 05-11-2023, 09:15 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

You will feel tires slip before traction control kicks in. If it is dying on you with backfire, you are probably hitting the rev limit. If you are going to try with traction control off, make sure you are in a large area with lot of room to recover when she spins around to bite you. That she will.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:17 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 742 Likes on 547 Posts

Ditto.
Depending on the tires, minor wheel spin as it hits the power band in 2nd roll on.
Never experienced any kind of hard cut, other than rev limiter
Old 05-12-2023, 11:11 AM
703z06
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris09z
I've never had a car with nannies but twice on this car I've had it fall on its face or back fire when if rolling into second hard getting on the highway. I usually let out and short shift to third and roll back in hard with no problems. I haven't turned traction control off yet to test if that's what it is, honestly to scared still. Is this what traction control feels like? I don't think the little squiggly car light comes on and I'm pretty sure I'm not hitting the limiter but honestly I'm having a hard time looking at the dash lol, still a little up tight with this car. Thanks
I think you are experiencing traction control kick in. Is your Z modded?

Mine will cut power and fall on its face if I hit in 2nd on a bad road or cold temps with traction control on. A digital warning will pop up in the cluster saying Traction system something.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:30 PM
Chris09z
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 703z06
I think you are experiencing traction control kick in. Is your Z modded?

Mine will cut power and fall on its face if I hit in 2nd on a bad road or cold temps with traction control on. A digital warning will pop up in the cluster saying Traction system something.
See I'm not sure any traction lights came on. I've got to start paying more attention to the dash but i honestly don't think I've done a hard pull over 4500 to 5000 rpm. I've had it kick out but just let out immediately. I'm wondering if it's pushing through the clutch in the upper rpms and hitting limiter so quick im not seeing it and I'm just reacting to feel or if I've got an issue with a cat? Would assume a cat would set a light, no? I feel like the car is popping more on decel then it did when I first got it too. Or i could just be a huge worry wart, lol.
I'm just to busy at the moment to get the car away from traffic and focus on it while driving. I live in New England so anytime I do a spirited pull there's a chance someone's backing out a driveway or cutting you off and I'm kinda terrified of that. My second night I had a deer jump right out in front of the car. Thankfully I was going like 30. I usually go drive it when I have a free half hour and it's always rushed so i think I'm just going to park it till i get the new clutch master and take it out then when I know I can get far enough away from the goof ***** and focus.
Old 07-15-2023, 11:46 AM
d.moscatelli@comcast
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So I'm looking on this thread because this morning, the Traction Control light came on in the speedo area dash cluster. The DIC indicates to service the traction control. When I push the traction control button, nothing happens. Meaning the traction control light does not go out.

Where do I start to look for where the problem is?
Old 07-17-2023, 07:05 PM
2000FRCZ19
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by d.moscatelli@comcast
So I'm looking on this thread because this morning, the Traction Control light came on in the speedo area dash cluster. The DIC indicates to service the traction control. When I push the traction control button, nothing happens. Meaning the traction control light does not go out.

get a code reader and see what codes come up. Could be a wheel speed sensor, ebcm, or a few other things. In my case it was the ebcm.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:09 PM
Beech
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d.moscatelli@comcast

On my Z06, when it sits for days or week(s) and is then driven the TC light will come on, almost every time. However, with frequent / daily use the TC light never comes on. So I tend to watch it and see if it stops coming on when driven more / daily use.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd gear hard pull questions

Quick Reply: 2nd gear hard pull questions