Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 - Replacing Shocks - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 12:35 PM
ITSQUIK
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default ZR1 - Replacing Shocks - Need Advice

So my mag ride shocks are bad and need to be replaced. I had decided to avoid spending a fortune on new mag ride shocks, if I could even find some.

I was able to locate a set of the DRM valved Bilsteins and had planned to use those. I am now however second guessing myself since I can't find anyone with a ZR1 that has gone with these shocks. Seems most of the folks who have gone that path didn't have the mag ride to begin with.

Am I insane for NOT breaking my neck and my bank account to locate a new set of the oem mag ride shocks?

Or since I have a set of these DRM Bilsteins, am I insane for not using these and having the mag ride turned off with a Tech2?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 05-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

If you already have the Bilstein's put them on and see how you like it. As long as you don't rip out the wiring you can always go back.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:58 PM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts

It sure is a bite in the butt to buy an expensive ZR1 with that special feature and then not being able to source reasonable priced OEM like replacement shocks. The limited number of C6 ZR1's likely means an aftermarket vendor wont see the profit in bringing a replacement to market. Lastly, i understand the oems are not even rebuildable.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:32 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,876 Likes on 4,276 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Curious how you know your mag ride shocks are bad? There are a lot of reports of dealers and shops claiming they need to be replaced because they are "leaking" but turn out not be to the case.
The following users liked this post:
BigBilll (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 11:45 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

i got my new ones from rock auto, don't bother searching for the nut tool though, I've got 5 that don't fit even though they said they would .....

id recommend staying with the oem stuff...

one of mine was definitely busted, started leaking gray paste out of somewhere.

​​​​you will see fluid down to the lower control arm bolt is bad... if it's half way or less with the oil, the shock is fine....

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...k+/+strut,7556
The following 2 users liked this post by drewz06:
Cone killer (05-17-2023), Joey D (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:02 AM
Colonel
Drifting

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

Perhaps these are stil available... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...10k-miles.html

I'd stay with OEM MRC shocks. Anything else would be a letdown, IMO.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:38 AM
ITSQUIK
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and advice. That is one of the things I love about this forum.

I think since I have the DRM Bilsteins, I am going to try those out. Lots and lots of Base, GS and Z06 owners love them.

I certainly don’t plan to hack up the wiring so if they ride like crap and it turns out I hate them, I will then go on a mission to find some oem shocks.

Thanks again!! 🍻
Old 05-17-2023, 12:20 PM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ITSQUIK
I appreciate everyone’s feedback and advice. That is one of the things I love about this forum.

I think since I have the DRM Bilsteins, I am going to try those out. Lots and lots of Base, GS and Z06 owners love them.

I certainly don’t plan to hack up the wiring so if they ride like crap and it turns out I hate them, I will then go on a mission to find some oem shocks.

Thanks again!! 🍻
The point of mag ride is to have decent handling but also be able to have a soft ride. The standard 650 hp ZL1 Camaro has the latest Mag Ride shocks and they perform very well for the street, however when GM wanted to make the 650 hp ZL1 1LE into a real track special, they needed something that would be able to handle the necessary spring rates (which are quite a bit stiffer than the standard ZL1)--so they went right to a Multimatic non-adjustable spool valve damper, (same company and type of damper they used with the 5G Z28

If you are primarily going to be street driving, I'd definitely stick with the mag ride but if you want something that can really maximize your handling either for track or Sunday mornings, there are some good options available.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:58 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,738 Likes on 3,014 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You will need a "tune" in your BCM if you go with standard shocks to turn off the active dampening

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 - Replacing Shocks - Need Advice

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 - Replacing Shocks - Need Advice