Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Engine Block Deck Gasket Cleaning and Prep

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 06:53 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

IDK, Hib, I've used that Norton stone on motorcycles, snowmobiles and V8s, and never had any problems. I guess what you say is possible. But I also think there's a right way, and a wrong way, to use it. My .02...
Old 02-23-2023, 10:31 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

This thread makes me sad.
The following users liked this post:
MTBSully (02-24-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 08:13 AM
82LS7
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
GM has specific instructions for cleaning block and head decks in a TSB issued late last year #00-06-01-012L: Use of Surface Conditioning Disks When Cleaning Gasket Sealing Surfaces and/or Reused Parts (document ID 6148192). I've excerpted part of it below and put some of the key parts in red.

Recommended Cleaning Procedure

General Motors recommends the use of a razor blade or plastic gasket scraper to clean the gasket surface on components that are to be reused. When cleaning gasket surfaces, please note the following:
  • When using a razor blade type gasket scraper, use a new razor blade for each cylinder head and corresponding block surface. Hold the blade as parallel to the gasket surface as possible. This will ensure that the razor blade does not gouge or scratch the gasket surfaces.
  • Do not gouge or scrape the combustion chamber surfaces.
  • Do not gouge or scratch any engine-sealing surface during the cleaning process.
Alternative Cleaning Method:

To properly clean the sealing surface prior to reassembly, GM Low VOC Cleaner, P/N♦19287401, in Canada, P/N 88901247 and in Australia, P/N 88900163, should be sprayed on the mating surface. Use care to avoid getting solvent in any area other than the mating surface to be cleaned. Allow it to soak in for several minutes to loosen the old RTV sealer/gasket material. GM strongly recommends using a plastic razor blade or non-metallic scraper to remove all loose sealer/gasket material.

Important: The appearance of the gasket surface is not critical - the feel is. There will be indentations from the gasket left after all the gasket material is removed. The new gasket will fill these small indentations when it is installed.

Do not use abrasive discs, abrasive pads, sandpaper, steel wool or similar products to "clean" block and head decks. GM has plenty of documentation elsewhere in that bulletin to prove that abrasive particles from those products end up in the engine oil and are distributed to bearings, bores, lifter faces, and camshaft lobes.

As for use of a "honing stone", "sharpening stone" or "Norton Stone"....that's a bad idea, too, IMO, because the microscopic aluminum particles that result from honing the decks end up in the oil.

No one would hone a block and then put the engine together without cleaning the block first. The reason you do that is to remove the aluminum residue left by honing. The same holds true for block and head decks, so...don't use a honing stone unless you disassemble the engine first, use the honing stone on the decks, then clean the block and/or head casting.
Yip, I remember seeing a TSB back in the 90s where techs were using roll lock discs to clean gen 1 intake manifold surfaces on the head and that aluminum oxide or any abrasive will find its way down into the oil and eat the bearings.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:10 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
IDK, Hib, I've used that Norton stone on motorcycles, snowmobiles and V8s, and never had any problems. I guess what you say is possible. But I also think there's a right way, and a wrong way, to use it. My .02...
Well, your name is grinder afterall.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:56 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Well, your name is grinder afterall.
I was thinking the same thing lol

what's done is done, at this point I would clean the hell out of everything use a good solvent then flush the coolant and engine oil a few times to get rid of whatever the sandpaper left behind.

honestly, it's a crap shoot either it runs great, you have no problems down the road or a rebuild/new engine in your future I hope all goes well for you tho...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Engine Block Deck Gasket Cleaning and Prep