Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Amsoil or Joe Gibbs Driven?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 01:30 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 394 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I just ordered Red Line for my 427 engine and transmission. I used their tranny fluid in a TR6060 in a 5th gen SS Camaro with no complaints.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:46 AM
Bms_tuned
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker85
The only folk that tend to believe mobile one is fantastic are the same ones that wear jorts and new balances at the car meets- the same ones that believe in the oil fill cap that read mobile one……I guess perception is reality.

M1 had a contract with GM to factory fill their cars. Nothing special. Their marketing team did a great job to milk it as a great oil.

marketing is sales and spec sheets are facts.

If you care to know how engines work and what moving parts touch inside your engine, you’ll care about zinc and phosphor levels and that they are important even on modern engines.

zinc and phosphor were cut by the bullshit epa. In the late 90s or maybe 2000s, the level of zinc and phosphor dropped considerably.
I dont think m1 is bad. Actually I've been running it since day one on my 900whp vette
Old 01-14-2024, 01:01 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Bms_tuned
I dont think m1 is bad. Actually I've been running it since day one on my 900whp vette
I totally agree. There must be a LOT of guys on here that are 50 years old, and younger. The synthetics today are so far ahead of oils 50 years ago (excepting Amsoil and M1, which were both available 50 years ago, but formulated differently then, of course), higher ZDDP, or not, that there is no comparison. 50 years ago, oil manufacturers claimed for every 10° above 200° in oil temps cut the useful life of the oil in half!! I'm here to tell you that even conventional oils back then didnt cause widespread engine seizures and abnormal wear, and I was using it in air cooled, 10,000rpm motorcycle engines. Which usually shared the engine oil with the clutch and transmission!! Mobil 1 is a fine oil, good enough for 99-1/2% of driving. Sure, there may be somewhat better oils for certain, very limited ventures. But to say it's not a good, decent oil is just plain wrong. No oil is "fantastic!"

Last edited by grinder11; 01-14-2024 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:38 PM
Burntoutaccountant
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

What would you guys run in a newly built 7.0? Not to hijack but I was going to make a post about this.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:15 PM
grinder11
Race Director

If it was my engine, I'd run a good conventional, non synthetic oil for the first 750 miles. I'd also try to fit a magnetic drain plug in the oil system/sump somewhere. I have a wet sump LS7 engine, so don't know where or what you'd do for a magnetic drain plug in the dry sump LS7. I'd then change the oil and filter, and fill it with a good synthetic oil. I'd recommend Mobil 1, but some guys here seem to think its marginal, and not "fantastic." BTW, if you do happen to find a "fantastic" oil, please let us all know. Sorry for the sarcasm, but some guys here.......Anyway, I've run M1 for over 20 years, and at least 50 dragstrip runs. I have 52,000 miles on my current, 600+ hp LS7, and use-MAYBE-1/2qt. between 4,000 mile changes. Nothing but M1 0w-40. No oil related issues, EVER!! I also have no vested interest or stock in Exxon/Mobil. My opinion only.....
The following 2 users liked this post by grinder11:
2500 hd (01-14-2024), Z.06 (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 03:25 PM
Burntoutaccountant
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
If it was my engine, I'd run a good conventional, non synthetic oil for the first 750 miles. I'd also try to fit a magnetic drain plug in the oil system/sump somewhere. I have a wet sump LS7 engine, so don't know where or what you'd do for a magnetic drain plug in the dry sump LS7. I'd then change the oil and filter, and fill it with a good synthetic oil. I'd recommend Mobil 1, but some guys here seem to think its marginal, and not "fantastic." BTW, if you do happen to find a "fantastic" oil, please let us all know. Sorry for the sarcasm, but some guys here.......Anyway, I've run M1 for over 20 years, and at least 50 dragstrip runs. I have 52,000 miles on my current, 600+ hp LS7, and use-MAYBE-1/2qt. between 4,000 mile changes. Nothing but M1 0w-40. No oil related issues, EVER!! I also have no vested interest or stock in Exxon/Mobil. My opinion only.....
I was on the fence about Amsoil. Almost ran it in one of my ls2 GTOs but stayed with mobile one.

As a service advisor I have no hesitation to put it in a newer non performance car. My hesitation was it’s such a specialized engine. Why run 40 in it?
Old 01-15-2024, 09:39 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Engine OIl To Run IN A Newly Built LS7

Originally Posted by Burntoutaccountant
What would you guys run in a newly built 7.0? Not to hijack but I was going to make a post about this.
My engine builder (Late Model Engines of Houston) is completely definitive about this. and I quote:

Must use NONSYNTHETIC oil for the first 1000 miles.
Joe Gibbs BR30 (10w-30) break in oil Recommended.
Change oil before dyno tuning
Change oil after first 500 miles
Change oil again after 1000 miles
After 1000 mile break-in is complete, full synthetic oil is permitted.

So apparently, LME thinks the oil selection is important during the initial break-in, which is primarily for the rings.

Old 01-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,148 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Z.06
My engine builder (Late Model Engines of Houston) is completely definitive about this. and I quote:

So apparently, LME thinks the oil selection is important during the initial break-in, which is primarily for the rings.
Can you describe the type of ring package and the cylinder wall preparation in more detail? I'm interested to know that info because the need for a break-in oil is often driven by the type of rings and the bore prep.

Also, know that JGR sold the Driven deal a number of years ago. Driven Racing Oil is now owned by COMP and no longer uses "Joe Gibbs" in its branding. Finally the guy Coach Gibbs originally hired to formulate the original Gibbs DRIVEN products, Lake Speed Jr., left the company after Driven was sold and is now working for Total Seal Piston Rings and, also, has his own oil analysis business, SPEEDiagnostix. He's also active on YouTube with a whole series of informative video content on engine oils.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
tommyc6z06 (01-16-2024), Vito.A (01-16-2024)
Old 01-16-2024, 08:50 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Can you describe the type of ring package and the cylinder wall preparation in more detail? I'm interested to know that info because the need for a break-in oil is often driven by the type of rings and the bore prep.

Also, know that JGR sold the Driven deal a number of years ago. Driven Racing Oil is now owned by COMP and no longer uses "Joe Gibbs" in its branding. Finally the guy Coach Gibbs originally hired to formulate the original Gibbs DRIVEN products, Lake Speed Jr., left the company after Driven was sold and is now working for Total Seal Piston Rings and, also, has his own oil analysis business, SPEEDiagnostix. He's also active on YouTube with a whole series of informative video content on engine oils.
Good informative post, Hib!!
Old 01-16-2024, 09:02 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z.06

I agree, which is why I posted (#25) running non synthetic first, though my change over mileage differs a bit. Which is really insignificant. Unless you're beating on the car during break-in. Also, some builders recommend a non-detergent oil for the first 500 miles. Kurt Urban being one of them when he was running Wheel to Wheel, a well known engine builder back in the 2000's.....
Old 01-16-2024, 06:38 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Add 1/2 bottle of this: Lucas Engine Break-In Oil Additive
Motor Oil Additive, ZDDP, Engine Break-In, 16 oz

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10063-1
Old 01-16-2024, 08:45 PM
Bruno417
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Isn’t ZDDP harmful to catalytic converters?
Old 01-16-2024, 08:48 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Break In Oil

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson

Piston rings are Wiseco 4032GFX
Bore (in.):
4.030 in.
Bore (mm):
102.362mm
File Fit:
Yes
Gapless:
No
Gas Ported:
No
Top Ring Included:
Yes
Top Ring Thickness:
1.2mm
Top Ring Material:
Steel
Top Ring Facing Material:
Gas nitrided
Second Ring Included:
Yes
Second Ring Thickness:
1.2mm
Third ring is a 3 mm oil control ring.

As to the cylinder wall preparation, I am pretty sure that if I asked, that LME would tell me that it is proprietary information. I am very sure that LME knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or Joe Gibbs Driven?