Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Exciting NEW C6 CAI / True RAM AIR Design (Dyno and Road test results)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 07:43 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,321 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by AQWIKZ
would this be worth going to from the Halltech MF103 Killer Bee setup?
I would say no. If you have a Killer Bee with the shroud, you would likely not gain much if anything. Main benefit of this intake is that it will always pull fresh air in from outside the car instead of sucking in hot engine bay heat. The shroud in the Killer Bee kit helps do the same thing; isolating engine bay heat from the front of the intake.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:12 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 908 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
I would say no. If you have a Killer Bee with the shroud, you would likely not gain much if anything. Main benefit of this intake is that it will always pull fresh air in from outside the car instead of sucking in hot engine bay heat. The shroud in the Killer Bee kit helps do the same thing; isolating engine bay heat from the front of the intake.
But where is it getting any ambient temp air from......the problem with all those designs that just place the air filter up front in the radiator well is there is no real source of significant fresh cooler ambient temp air (and none of it is under pressure of course)

You get a tiny bit of cooler air from the small OEM air scoop but it just mixes with the much greater quantity of hotter under hood air temps.

This Ram Air design is pressurized with massive amounts of only ambient temperature air that is being trapped in that large triangular cavity that normally only feed the radiator and other coolers.

You get the benefit of much cooler ambient temp air and air that is being force fed into the plenum box of this design the faster you go. At triple digit speeds you would see even greater gains with this design

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 10-28-2022, 09:44 AM
Dmorgan01
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Worthwhile upgrade from a Vararam?
Old 10-29-2022, 12:57 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
If coolant temps were below the fan setpoint it looks like heat from the radiator would go right up into the intake til after the car was moving for a bit.
My thoughts exactly!
There would need to be a test performed with 2 temperature sensors, 1 above and 1 beneath that shroud where most air filters sit.

I do believe this Ram air intake does well at speed like Tony mentioned, but the actual true off idle air the engine is breathing in screams that it has to be hot based on the proximity to the rad and oil cooler (keeping in mind the plastic shroud is no longer a barrier with this intake).

In comparison to the Vararam that also sits in that area, the opening on the VR has a beak that is a bit more forward from the Ram air SS feed location (so less likely to suck in hot air radiated from that area below the shroud).

I am interested in this intake but like others, I cannot help but wonder how hot the air is at that air filter (not heatsoaked iat readings but the actual true air temp at the filter versus above the shroud).
Time to install temp probes and figure this out.

*Although any hot iat situation probably disappears very quickly with this intake midway through 1st gear after launch.

Last edited by Matt Zed; 10-29-2022 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 01:19 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

To add to my post, I noticed it was mentioned that iat temps don't go down much over the 1/4 mile with conventional CAI systems, I'll share what my datalogs show.

I have an Airaid air intake so the exposed filter sits in the usual cavity above the shroud, C6z06 so I have a functional NACA duct.

Anyways, at the launch I am at 90*F iat (51-54*F ambient)
-Top of 1st gear, iat temps are 77*F.
-Top of 2nd gear, iat temps have dropped to 66*F.
-By the 1/8th mile (102 mph) iat temps have dropped to 64*F.
-When I cross the 1/4 mile traps, my iat temps drop to 63*F.

Last edited by Matt Zed; 10-29-2022 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 02:05 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

I threw my laptop inside another H/C/IM C6z06 that track day, equipped with a Halltech 103. It has the Beehive cover and the Maf is relocated to sit beneath the Beehive.
Halltech places the Maf further forward, so closer to the shroud (stock location is much closer to the throttle body).
Disclaimer, his coolant temps were 7 to 9*F hotter than mine so it affects under hood temps but here are the results below. His radiator fan enable settings are identical to mine but regardless.

-At launch, iat temps were 90*F.
-At the 1/8th mile, iat temps were 63*F.
-At the 1/4 mile, iat temps dropped to 61*F.

Just some data for us datalog driven folks to ponder over as we continue on our quest for more power with different parts.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:39 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
I threw my laptop inside another H/C/IM C6z06 that track day, equipped with a Halltech 103. It has the Beehive cover and the Maf is relocated to sit beneath the Beehive.
Halltech places the Maf further forward, so closer to the shroud (stock location is much closer to the throttle body).
Disclaimer, his coolant temps were 7 to 9*F hotter than mine so it affects under hood temps but here are the results below. His radiator fan enable settings are identical to mine but regardless.

-At launch, iat temps were 90*F.
-At the 1/8th mile, iat temps were 63*F.
-At the 1/4 mile, iat temps dropped to 61*F.

Just some data for us datalog driven folks to ponder over as we continue on our quest for more power with different parts.
The big question is what were ambient temps??

Look.....we can certainly debate this system but there are many other systems that are very similar in their design. As I had mentioned once before in this thread I just feel this particular intake is a better executed version of that design.

Also I posted a video when this CAI was tested on a chassis dyno.....Most would agree fans in front of the car are not going to remotely work anything like ambient temp air rushing into this large airbox when the car is moving yet big power gains were seen in this steady state chassis dyno test.....both untuned and even more when tuned.

After the install in my own car, the first time I pulled out of a gas station (so moving slowly after the car sat for a bit probably getting a bit of heat soak) it ran like a scalded dog and it was immediately apparent I picked up a bunch of power with the swap. This was before I decided to relocate my IAT sensor btw.

Then I did extensive testing "in Mexico" with the results I have shared from the Dragy in the first post of this thread.....effectively picking up a half second in ET from a 3rd gear pull of 65 to 123 MPH (7000 RPM in 3rd) and a reduction of close to 100 feet to achieve that terminal speed. This isn't a reduction in a full 1320 foot burn.....in fact it was only 900 feet or so after the Ram Air SS was installed and that was starting at a silly low 3600 RPM to more simulate a dyno pull on the road which was my objective (and to eliminate a shift which could color the results).

I also have had two folks swap out the Halltech and move into this CAI and both picked up nicely on a chassis dyno where there was no real benefit of the ram air effect of this design. To be perfectly honest I like the Halltech and that had been my previous go to intake (sold dozens of them since launching Mamo Motorsports) but I was always searching for a better designed Ram Air style CAI similar to the unit I ran with excellent results in my C5 (I discussed most of this in my first post)

When I finally stumbled on old pictures of this system in my quest to find something I was intrigued and it looked like exactly what I was searching for.....little did I know they were kind of out of business at that point but undaunted I spent almost a year tracking down the people involved in this design (true story.....every few months I was trying different ways to contact them). Turns out my timing and perseverance paid off as there was a recent change in that situation and I ended up getting involved with the new owner of this company after numerous phone calls with him and first purchasing one with my own money and testing it.

Now this is what I personally run and recommend to all my clients.....you guys can benefit from all this information or choose not to but I'm confident given enough time your going to continue to see favorable results and I wont be having to type much in an effort to share what I already know

That's all I have to say about that.....LOL (Forrest Gump I believe but quite fitting none the less!)

-Tony

PS.....With my car (temporarily) still running a bone stock engine (only a ported OEM TB) and testing in the middle of the night with zero traction, a horrible 60 foot as you would expect, peddling first a bit in an effort to not blow the tires off (and spinning pretty good on the 1-2 shift), I still managed to trap 127.2 MPH. That's with me essentially not really able to put the power down till 2nd gear. I think the car would easily go 129+ at the track in this configuration if I was able to apply all the power with just the CAI. This is stock rims and full weight and a DA of 1943 feet of elevation (Southern California isn't known for exceptional air density). And that's with one run....never bothered to do another because its just impossible to get any traction and I was quite pleased with that result factoring the DA and the "track conditions". Also of noteworthiness is the fact I picked up 28 MPH from the 1/8 to the 1/4 mile with a stock engine. I attribute some of this to the Ram Air doing it's thing upstairs. Wait till I'm up over 200 RWHP with a complete Mamo top end....I'm really hoping 2023 is the year I both get my dyno up and running and mod this car. I have purposely waited to do this wanting to document this build from stock to fully modded on my own Eddy current SuperFlow chassis dyno that I purchased new and have had parked under a couple of painters tarps for far too long

Here was the Dragy from that run.....and guys....the Dragy is not a toy.....its the real deal and its works by multi satellites coordinated on your position with a 10hz refresh rate (your phone GPS is 1 hertz).
All of you that own one already know how accurate it is assuming you have used it at a few track events and compared. It replicates legit track times as good as the best equipment out there that costs 10X as much.
Its the real deal and if you don't already own one its the best sub $200 gift you will ever buy in this hobby. To those that were considering one and purchase one after reading this your welcome!!
Also take a look at how the acceleration / G-forces (orange line below) is starting to actually level off some up top at the end of 3rd and beginning of 4th gear.....that's not normal
The faster you go the less G-forces and acceleration will be present as horsepower is constant and wind resistance is increasing at an X-squared rate. The highest acceleration values are seen in the lower gears with far less wind resistance

Could it be I was picking up a little power from some artificial forced induction in the triple digit zone?!? That's my take from the hard data displayed below

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 10-29-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:14 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
The big question is what were ambient temps??

Look.....we can certainly debate this system but there are many other systems that are very similar in their design. As I had mentioned once before in this thread I just feel this particular intake is a better executed version of that design.

Also I posted a video when this CAI was tested on a chassis dyno.....Most would agree fans in front of the car are not going to remotely work anything like ambient temps when the car is moving and big power was seen in this steady state chassis dyno test.....both untuned and even more when tuned.

I've personally installed it in my car and the first time I pulled out of a gas station (so moving slowly after the car sat for a bit probably getting a bit of heat soak it ran like a scalded dog and it was immediately apparent I picked up a bunch of power. This was before I decided to relocate my IAT senso also btw.

Then I did extensive testing "in Mexico" with the results I have shared from the Dragy in the first post of this thread......effectvely picking up a half second in ET from a 3rd gear pull of 65 to 123 MPH (7000 RPM in 3rd) and a reduction of close to 100 feet to achieve that terminal speed . This isn't a reduction in a full 1320 foot burn.....it was only 900 feet after the CAI and that was starting at a silly low 3600 RPM to more simulate a dyno pull on the road which was my objective (and to eliminate a shift which could color the results).

I also have had two folks swap out the Halltech and move into this CAI and both picked up nicely on a chassis dyno where there was no real benefit of the ram air effect of this design. To be perfectly honest I like the Halltech and that had been my previous go to intake (sold dozens of them since launching Mamo Motorsports) but I was always searching for a better designed Ram Air style CAI similar to the unit I ran with excellent results in my C5 (I discussed most of this in my first post)

When I stumbled on old pictures of this system I was intrigued and it looked like exactly what I was searching for.....spent almost a year tracking down the people involved in this design (no joke) as the company had kind of stopped selling these for the last 4 years or so and had vanished.

My timing and perseverance paid off as there was a recent change in that situation and I ended up getting involved with the new owner of this design after numerous phone calls with him and first purchasing one with my own money and testing it.

Now this is what I personally run and recommend to all my clients.....you guys can benefit from all this information or choose not to but I'm confident given enough time your going to continue to see favorable results and I wont be having to type much in an effort to share what I already know

That's all I have to say about that......LOL (Forrest Gump I believe but quite fitting none the less!)

-Tony
Ambient temps that afternoon ranged from 55 to 60*F, the data from my Airaid runs were mostly in the morning with 51-54*F ambient temps. Halltech c6z ran mostly in 55-56*F ambient temps, that's as accurate as I can pinpoint it.
I wish I logged ambient temp if there is a channel like that, I can't recall if I tried looking for it and it wasn't available, I'll check next time.

*Correction to the 7 to 9*F hotter cooler temp of the Halltech equipped c6z, comparing the logs closer shows it ran 3 to 5*F hotter than my c6z.

Last edited by Matt Zed; 10-29-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-31-2022, 05:04 PM
TwinturboN8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm excited to report that my Mamo ported MSD, and ported NW 103mm, and Ram Air SS was delivered today. I've followed Tony's recommendation and called Rich at Zmod to do a before and after install dyno and tune. I will report back once I have the installed numbers before and after!
The following users liked this post:
double06 (11-01-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 12:57 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinturboN8
I'm excited to report that my Mamo ported MSD, and ported NW 103mm, and Ram Air SS was delivered today. I've followed Tony's recommendation and called Rich at Zmod to do a before and after install dyno and tune. I will report back once I have the installed numbers before and after!

Is this on an other wise stock LS7 with stock exhaust manifolds? If so lots of guys will be watching…….
Old 11-05-2022, 06:01 PM
TwinturboN8
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a 2008 Z06 with stock manifolds, I will be doing a before and after once Tony's heads, cam, ARH 2", and the mamo clutch and flywheel are installed.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

It was mentioned that there is no airflow through the radiator but there was no mention of the cooling fans. When looking at temperatures add a step to check to see if turning the fans on lower the intake air.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:28 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
Ambient temps that afternoon ranged from 55 to 60*F, the data from my Airaid runs were mostly in the morning with 51-54*F ambient temps. Halltech c6z ran mostly in 55-56*F ambient temps, that's as accurate as I can pinpoint it.
I wish I logged ambient temp if there is a channel like that, I can't recall if I tried looking for it and it wasn't available, I'll check next time.

*Correction to the 7 to 9*F hotter cooler temp of the Halltech equipped c6z, comparing the logs closer shows it ran 3 to 5*F hotter than my c6z.
Thank you for posting actual data.

Be curious how these temp drops compare to the stock intake for a 1/4 run.
Old 11-09-2022, 03:27 PM
ky13
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Would be curious to try something like this on my ZR1.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:29 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ky13
Note sure if the radiator shroud of the ZR1 is any different than a base C6 or a C6Z06 but assuming its close I would imagine it would add nicely to your output especially approaching or exceeding triple digit speed.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

Regards,
Tony
Old 11-10-2022, 09:18 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ky13
No, it won't. The ZR1 intake is completely different from the NA cars, the blower snout moves the TB forward significantly on the ZR1:

And it's even worse if you've done the LPE snout:

I wish it would fit as I've been looking for a replacement for my Kong. Guess I'll have to keep waiting on LMT to get their new ZR1 intake out.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:26 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Tony, would this intake work on a C6 Grand Sport? It's dry sump if that makes any difference. I had the vararam on my C5 and the results were pretty ridiculous with 2-3 tenth reduction in et's and 2-3mph increases in mph. The grand sport just has headers/tune but needs to go back going to be doing intake, shifter, shift light and retune. It's a little more than the vararam but if there are actual gains to be had over that you got my attention. Would be happy to do some testing for you if its compatible.

Get notified of new replies

To Exciting NEW C6 CAI / True RAM AIR Design (Dyno and Road test results)

Old 11-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,290 Likes on 934 Posts

Anyone ever toss a map sensor into the rad shroud to see if there is actually any pressure?
Old 11-10-2022, 11:57 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,204 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Tony, would this intake work on a C6 Grand Sport? It's dry sump if that makes any difference.
GS and Z06 intake are interchangeable. I swapped the Z06 intake onto my previous '13 GS (dry sump) until I added a blower.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:39 PM
ky13
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Note sure if the radiator shroud of the ZR1 is any different than a base C6 or a C6Z06 but assuming its close I would imagine it would add nicely to your output especially approaching or exceeding triple digit speed.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

Regards,
Tony
Thanks Tony. The shroud is the same for the latter year C6s (all trims). I may be in touch shortly.

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
No, it won't. The ZR1 intake is completely different from the NA cars, the blower snout moves the TB forward significantly on the ZR1:

And it's even worse if you've done the LPE snout:

I wish it would fit as I've been looking for a replacement for my Kong. Guess I'll have to keep waiting on LMT to get their new ZR1 intake out.
That was my planned route as well (currently have the plastic Kong intake). LMT relayed that they're going with a new CF manufacturer, so fingers crossed. I apologize for the ambiguity; I meant that style of intake. Wasn't expecting to just bolt on and go.

Quick Reply: Exciting NEW C6 CAI / True RAM AIR Design (Dyno and Road test results)