Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vararam still king in 2022?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 09:44 PM
C6in816
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Right , I have a v ram on ls2 did 436 w stock heads my ls7 has killer bee halltec made 498 stock heads no headers
Old 05-16-2023, 09:02 AM
HowWhyWhyHow
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by C6in816
Right , I have a v ram on ls2 did 436 w stock heads my ls7 has killer bee halltec made 498 stock heads no headers
Man we went over this in here. Your intake isn't responsible for the dyno numbers. I'm sorry lol
Old 05-16-2023, 11:01 AM
C6in816
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Man !

I stated the facts according to my car, my application these are the parts on my two current vettes and the items I installed. But I greatly welcome you're opinion and response as this is why America is great as it has many freedoms. Right on bro having said that the #s I got on dyno those parts will be staying on vehicle !
Old 05-16-2023, 03:24 PM
HowWhyWhyHow
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Sound like you got a great combo. I wouldn't change a thing
Old 05-23-2023, 09:31 AM
Cone killer
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Zed
Sorry for the ultra late update to this post, I forgot about it over the summer.
I didn't get a chance to test the OEM ls7 air intake against anything but I did test my Airaid air intake with a brand new yellow filter (Airaid Synthamax) against the Halltech MF108.

The mf108 made 1 more rwhp and trq but that was probably from a slightly cooled off dyno area after the engine was off for air intake swapping.
That concludes the dyno portion where like many said, cold air intakes will dyno about the same when tuned for accordingly. Different story on the street though when there is a direct (Vararam scoop) or indirect (Vette-air scoop) duct.

In late spring I will be doing a Dragy run with my current Airaid intake for baseline data from a roll, ideally where I don't have to shift
-so there will be Dragy data for the Airaid
-I'll then install a Vette-air scoop and do a Dragy run in identical ambient temps (so the Dragy runs are meaningful for data comparisons)
-then, cut the rest of the shroud for a Vararam air intake, retune fueling for any extra airflow just like with the Vette-air scoop, and Dragy again in the same ambient temperatures.

This will conclude 15 years of unclear intake performance results, in a thorough test stating all the temperatures involved and the acceleration times. I've yet to see that anywhere on the net, so I will do it for myself and anyone else that wants to finally get a clear conclusion without so many unknown variables.

Hi Matt. Have you had a chance to do this? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:42 AM
Matt Zed
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Cone killer
Hi Matt. Have you had a chance to do this? Thanks.
Sorry not yet but in the next month I should be able to after the clutch swap.
The following users liked this post:
Cone killer (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:15 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

There's been plenty of testing throughout the years by many of us who race in all kinds of different events.
The reality is that where you operate your car is going to dictate which "cold air intake" is going to be the better overall solution.

Here in the HOT desert southwest, the Vararam becomes a liability in normal street use when the hotter months arrive. The airflow that gets robbed from the radiator and A/C condenser by the various ram air intakes causes much higher ECT's and poorer A/C performance. Overheating is a common thing when these devices are installed.
If you live in an area where the climate is very moderate and you don't require the A/C much, the Vararam might not be so much of a compromise.
The same think holds true for the Vette-air scoop, or any other device that redirects airflow from the radiator/condenser.

If your car is more of a track car, then these cooling compromises may not be an issue and you can experience the benefits of faster cool down of IAT's at the track, as well as some ram air effect. This can be observed and quantified by engine data logs.
The following users liked this post:
Hirohawa (05-25-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 10:42 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
There's been plenty of testing throughout the years by many of us who race in all kinds of different events.
The reality is that where you operate your car is going to dictate which "cold air intake" is going to be the better overall solution.

Here in the HOT desert southwest, the Vararam becomes a liability in normal street use when the hotter months arrive. The airflow that gets robbed from the radiator and A/C condenser by the various ram air intakes causes much higher ECT's and poorer A/C performance. Overheating is a common thing when these devices are installed.
If you live in an area where the climate is very moderate and you don't require the A/C much, the Vararam might not be so much of a compromise.
The same think holds true for the Vette-air scoop, or any other device that redirects airflow from the radiator/condenser.

If your car is more of a track car, then these cooling compromises may not be an issue and you can experience the benefits of faster cool down of IAT's at the track, as well as some ram air effect. This can be observed and quantified by engine data logs.
Hi FNBADAZ0,
It is 20 years more I am reading that very forum, and I have missed ALL THE DATA LOGS...
Will you be kind to provide links of directly data please?
Christian
Old 05-23-2023, 11:10 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi FNBADAZ0,
It is 20 years more I am reading that very forum, and I have missed ALL THE DATA LOGS...
Christian
Let me see what I can find.....I think I posted some data years ago on the exact thing, with some engine data logs to compare with.

I think the general consensus was (for drag racing), the ram air type of systems were good for roughly 1+ MPH of trap speeds on average (if you staged your car consistently).
This would equate to roughly 10 RWHP at speed. For my car (iirc), the reason was the faster IAT drop which allowed the engine to get full power faster (as long as ECT and oil temps were the same).
At traps speeds below 125, there wasn't any real manifold pressure differences due to ram air...... but once you got above those speeds (especially for 1/2 mile) you can start to see better manifold pressure.

For HPDE events, it became a big liability, as the increased ECT temps far outweighed any additional IAT differences (which are minimal, given the speed on track are not constant) , and the cars would overheat during the 10-15 minute sessions.

Mamo had a thread regarding a ram air system he was involved with but unfortunately it doesn't include any engine data logs....which is a bit unusual to me.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-results.html

The best method I would suggest (short of a very controlled environment) is to use any data logging platform and monitor the normal parameters (k/r, timing, AFR,kPa, etc.), get a Dragy devices, switch intakes, and run an acceleration test using only 4th gear from a defined starting and ending point (3000-7000 RPM, for example). Look for changes in the time it takes to accelerate in those ranges to quantify improvements.

An interesting test I did on my big 468 stroker....we pulled the airfilter off and installed a bell mouth to see what (if any) RWHP changes we would see on the chassis dyno by removing the air filter. I was running a 5" carbon fiber intake tube straight to the largest Halltech (K&N) filter available and bell mouth.
Bell mouth made 7 RWHP more on my engine at 7700 RPM !!!

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 05-23-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:22 AM
c5maniac2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HowWhyWhyHow
I'm not.

There was one for sale a few weeks back
do you remember who?
Old 05-23-2023, 12:26 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi FNBADAZ0,
Christian
This one wasn't specifically about Vararam versus Halltech, but it has all the principles and logs regarding IAT when I was doing some testing way back when.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nalysis-4.html
Old 05-23-2023, 12:31 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

FYI - if anyone is interested, I have a Vette-Air scoop sitting in my parts pile I'd sell for $100.00
Old 01-16-2024, 03:47 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I want to bring this back up. I read all the old threads, this one plus where DSteck and HOXXOH went back and forth with some good info...and Dave's data has always been on point. He's also super helpful. I got curious on my own dime and ordered a Vararam first to do my own test. I have a Callaway Honker on my car now with a set of Brodix/GPI heads cam shifting at all the rpm. The filter is starting to sag like it's being pulled in. My data logs read like it's a restriction. So, I did the simple area math on the Vararam filter I just unpacked. That's a 60sq" filter. My car needs 115" as is. If I do a built short block that will look more like 130.6". How in the world is the Vararam with a 92mm ID before that 103mm ID maf housing and a 60sq" filter not choking a cammed ls7? I get the forced air aspect, but you would think 1st-2nd the car would be choked out. thoughts before I send this back and order a Haltech?
Old 01-16-2024, 11:07 PM
09camdz06
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Most intakes seem to be a choke point in the system. My corsa was 89mm I’d if I recall correctly. I removed the inner liner and I think it went up to 96 or 98…but wowza was it lean. Had to be returned due to the maf reading changing.
i do wish mfgs would spec the id of the pipe.
Old 01-17-2024, 10:44 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Spoiler

Old 01-17-2024, 11:44 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I was crunching filter size needed by cubic and inch and rpm. My intake tract and head flow is big...103tb, ported 102 fast, brodix/gpi ls7sb heads. I didn't take into account folds in a filter either. I'm trying to not calculate ram/forced air just yet because of figuring out some unknowns I have of the nose aero on a c6 widebody. Still learning and testing. Vararam staff are helping with some ideas too.
Old 01-17-2024, 01:37 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I recalculated the math to a 103mm TB, and still come up with just 12.915sq.", roughly 1/5 of the 60mm air filter. Interested in what you come up with because I have a built LS7 in a C5, with a 90mm TB.....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam still king in 2022?