Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Would i be dumb to swap from ZR1 brakes to Z06

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 12:19 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Received 595 Likes on 271 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Would i be dumb to swap from ZR1 brakes to Z06

Here's my problem, I already own 17" CCW wheels that I want to use. I bought them before the car. I'm leaning towards a Z06, but there's a 2011 Z06 Z07 with a carbon package so it has the ZR1 brakes, which my wheels won't clear. I will never track the car so I don't need them, but love to have them. Would it be stupid and hurt the value of the car to swap them to Z06 brakes? I could always take off and keep them, however I know they could sell for quite a bit and help offset the cost of Z06 brakes. But if I ever get rid of the car, think the value is way down? I think 18's will clear so I guess I could sell and buy them. Any opinions? I know thats a rare car, so hate to devalue it. No, its not a Carbon edition, but has everything a Carbon Edition has except black mirrors. Heck, even has the carbon hood that someone put on.

Last edited by indebt; 09-21-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:37 PM
08zr1
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Will drop value of car but I’m pretty sure you can shave the caliper down some company does it to fit 17ich rims
Old 09-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Gypsy883
Racer

Received 204 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by indebt
Here's my problem, I already own 17" CCW wheels that I want to use. I bought them before the car. I'm leaning towards a Z06, but there's a 2011 Z06 Z07 with a carbon package so it has the ZR1 brakes, which my wheels won't clear. I will never track the car so I don't need them, but love to have them. Would it be stupid and hurt the value of the car to swap them to Z06 brakes? I could always take off and keep them, however I know they could sell for quite a bit and help offset the cost of Z06 brakes. But if I ever get rid of the car, think the value is way down? I think 18's will clear so I guess I could sell and buy them. Any opinions? I know thats a rare car, so hate to devalue it. No, its not a Carbon edition, but has everything a Carbon Edition has except black mirrors. Heck, even has the carbon hood that someone put on.

actually the z07 cars have a carbon Zr1 roof which the carbon editions don’t as well.

Just look for a z06 if those wheels are that important to you, but I’d get the z07 and different wheels
The following users liked this post:
indebt (09-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 12:50 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gypsy883
actually the z07 cars have a carbon Zr1 roof which the carbon editions don’t as well.

Just look for a z06 if those wheels are that important to you, but I’d get the z07 and different wheels
Wheels aren't important, just already have them. Your idea of getting the Z07 and different wheels is probably best.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:39 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

the zr1 calipers allow for much easier pad changes...

do an iron rotor swap and keep the calipers....

girodisc makes a really nice setup...

just bite the bullet and get some proper wheels
The following 4 users liked this post by drewz06:
08zr1 (09-21-2021), indebt (09-21-2021), Jason71 (09-23-2021), tommyc6z06 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-21-2021, 07:40 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drewz06
the zr1 calipers allow for much easier pad changes...

do an iron rotor swap and keep the calipers....

girodisc makes a really nice setup...

just bite the bullet and get some proper wheels
Thank you for the info and tips!!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:41 PM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 926 Likes on 684 Posts

forgestar f14 in 18 with iron
The following 4 users liked this post by drewz06:
08zr1 (09-21-2021), double06 (09-22-2021), indebt (09-22-2021), tommyc6z06 (09-22-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:48 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I would keep the brakes and get some 18" high end light wheels, Im sure the 17" classics can bring at least 2k
indebt (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 03:56 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
I would keep the brakes and get some 18" high end light wheels, Im sure the 17" classics can bring at least 2k
I'm still torn on what car I want...either a GS or a Z06. Never been a top off guy but maybe it might be nice. However the Z06 is the last of the biggest N/A engine. Plus, its either going to be SSB, MRM, Or JSB. Tough decision. I'm only going to cruise the car around, but want something that will hold some value.

Your right though, I can always sell the CCW'S and get some correct fitment ones..
Old 09-24-2021, 10:41 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,197 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

...I will never track the car...
ZR1 (CCB - Carbon Ceramic Brakes) are actually not best for track (cost vs life span when tracked is on the expensive side), but are ideal for street use (will last 100K+ miles). The have a "wow" factor, look great, don't produce a lot of visible dust and are pretty much the best performing street brakes you can get. I'd keep the brakes and sell the CCW wheels.

I'm still torn on what car I want...either a GS or a Z06. Never been a top off guy but maybe it might be nice. However the Z06 is the last of the biggest N/A engine. Plus, its either going to be SSB, MRM, Or JSB. Tough decision. I'm only going to cruise the car around, but want something that will hold some value.
I find I really don't miss the targa top now that I've moved to a ZR1. I honestly didn't use it much on my last 3 Vettes that had it, mainly only when it was a really nice day and the wife wanted to cruise with it off. To me there's too much buffeting at highway speeds with the targa off in a C6/7. If you want top off driving in a Vette, you're much better off doing a convertible as it's a much more enjoyable experience (I actually did drive top down quite a bit when I've had convertibles). The GS is probably the best value, and I loved my previous '13 GS, especially after adding a blower. Bang for the buck, GS is going to be the best choice. However, I like something special/rare, which is why I ended up with a 1 of 11 (color) ZR1. I really looked hard at the Z07 Z06s as well as the 427s, but when the opportunity to grab my ZR1 came along, I couldn't pass it up.
indebt (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 12:31 PM
passagemaker43
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 198 Posts

Nothing wrong with a GS but if you are really after an incredibly pure driving experience find a nice Z06. A Z07 equipped one is even better, I would sell your CCW wheels and replace them. Should you buy the Z07 and want to keep the 17" wheels I would be happy to swap out my Z06 brakes and calipers, less than 10,000 street miles on that car, along with some cash for your CCB ones.
The ZR1 is a great car as well, especially for street driving. I just listed mine for sale on this Forum.

Good luck with your search
Old 09-24-2021, 12:38 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
ZR1 (CCB - Carbon Ceramic Brakes) are actually not best for track (cost vs life span when tracked is on the expensive side), but are ideal for street use (will last 100K+ miles). The have a "wow" factor, look great, don't produce a lot of visible dust and are pretty much the best performing street brakes you can get. I'd keep the brakes and sell the CCW wheels.

I find I really don't miss the targa top now that I've moved to a ZR1. I honestly didn't use it much on my last 3 Vettes that had it, mainly only when it was a really nice day and the wife wanted to cruise with it off. To me there's too much buffeting at highway speeds with the targa off in a C6/7. If you want top off driving in a Vette, you're much better off doing a convertible as it's a much more enjoyable experience (I actually did drive top down quite a bit when I've had convertibles). The GS is probably the best value, and I loved my previous '13 GS, especially after adding a blower. Bang for the buck, GS is going to be the best choice. However, I like something special/rare, which is why I ended up with a 1 of 11 (color) ZR1. I really looked hard at the Z07 Z06s as well as the 427s, but when the opportunity to grab my ZR1 came along, I couldn't pass it up.
Good advice on the brakes. Love your Carlisle Blue ZR1, that is rare. The 11 Z06 Z07 im looking at is SSB, so not as rare, but still uncommon. Your right about the top off for a GS. I'm bald, so unless I want skin cancer, I'd always have to have a hat with me haha. I'd love a ZR1, but in this market, I could almost buy 2 Z06's/GS for the price of one. I'm watching one with about 70k miles or so for decent money but who knows how many hard miles its seen, and as you mentioned, replacement cost of rotors if it has been tracked quite a bit.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:35 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 255 Posts

Do want you want but personally I'd just find other wheels based on the trouble of swapping and cost....if you never had the wheels we'd NEVER be having this discussion!
indebt (09-24-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 10:21 PM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JMB
Do want you want but personally I'd just find other wheels based on the trouble of swapping and cost....if you never had the wheels we'd NEVER be having this discussion!
Thats true. All along I wanted a JSB car, than this SSB Z06 Z07 popped up, and now I'm wanting that color. Its a tough decision as I could buy a JSB Z with heads fixed and ready to go, but I'm really leaning towards the SSB Z with Z07 package and no heads fixed. Its the dang color I think thats holding me up.
JMB (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 11:41 PM
passagemaker43
Pro

For what it is worth I own both a JSB Z06 and a 2011 Z07 equipped Z. The JSB is probably my favorite color but if I could only own one the JSB car would go in favor of the Z07. It's handling is just too great. Just one person's opinion familiar with both.
indebt (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 12:23 AM
indebt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by passagemaker43
For what it is worth I own both a JSB Z06 and a 2011 Z07 equipped Z. The JSB is probably my favorite color but if I could only own one the JSB car would go in favor of the Z07. It's handling is just too great. Just one person's opinion familiar with both.
Thanks and I love the color of your ZR1. Thats my next choice of color if I could find a Z with it.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:14 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Your right though, I can always sell the CCW'S and get some correct fitment ones..
Ive owned both a GS and a Z06, my friend has a 2011 Z07 with the carbon CFZ package. That being said the CCB squeak like a mother f#*ker till they warm up. They work so freaking good in comparison to the Z06 brakes, which also work very well. Now cost of maintenance, The CCB's will last a VERY LONG time and will need no service in "regular street use" where as the Z06 brakes will need your regular maintenance as you would expect. Dusting, in stock form, both dust very bad. Z06 brakes can be accommodated with dustless pads relatively cheap, where as CCB's cannot. The CCB's look infinitely better IMO. Now the GS vs Z06 thing. There are 2 MAJOR differences, roof and motor. I currently have a GS and I personally don't care anymore for the removable roof, it make all kinds of noise. My Z06 was quiet with no squeaks or rattles, the GS is the same except the damn roof. Yes the GS can make more power with a boosted LS3, but there is a something special about the raw NA power a LS7 can make. If I were to do it again, I would choose a Z06 all day.

GS pros
Can make more power
cheaper, not by much though
removable roof, if you like that stuff
steel frame if you want to put a roll cage in it later on (that's why I bought a GS)

GS cons
transmission gear ratios suck with a very long 3rd gear
roof wont shut up
leaf springs are too soft when you actually push the car. I dont like them
LS3 cant make the power the LS7 can, NA
automatic cars do not have the dry sump or coolers the manual cars do, get a manual car
steel frame, 100ish lbs heavier in similarly optioned cars
crappier 2.5" exhaust

Z06 pros
LS7
LS7 valve issue, forces you to put better heads on the car
transmission gear ratios that make sense
no roof rattle
leaf springs that are comfortable and perform when pushed
did I mention the LS7?
alum frame 100ish lbs lighter in similarly optioned cars
cooler looking carbon composite front fenders
better sounding and performing factory 3" exhaust
no automatics allowed

Z06 cons
LS7 valve issue, forces you to put better heads on the car

This list is my opinion so take it at that, really im just bored at work

Get notified of new replies

To Would i be dumb to swap from ZR1 brakes to Z06

Old 09-28-2021, 11:29 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,197 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by v8sten
...That being said the CCB squeak like a mother f#*ker till they warm up. They work so freaking good in comparison to the Z06 brakes, which also work very well. Now cost of maintenance, The CCB's will last a VERY LONG time and will need no service in "regular street use" where as the Z06 brakes will need your regular maintenance as you would expect. Dusting, in stock form, both dust very bad. Z06 brakes can be accommodated with dustless pads relatively cheap, where as CCB's cannot. The CCB's look infinitely better IMO...
Guess it depends on the car. My CCBs make hardly any noise, and if they do start squeaking regularly, 1-2 hard stops silences them again. As to dust, yes the CCBs do dust, but it's not very visible. Regular Z06/GS pads dust like crazy and it's a very visible dark dust.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:46 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Guess it depends on the car. My CCBs make hardly any noise, and if they do start squeaking regularly, 1-2 hard stops silences them again. As to dust, yes the CCBs do dust, but it's not very visible. Regular Z06/GS pads dust like crazy and it's a very visible dark dust.
His wont stop unless they are good and warmed up, we have tried the hard braking thing, it works till they cool down and the squeaking comes back.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:54 AM
passagemaker43
Pro

Overall I think you did a very good assessment of the differences you outlined. However in a couple of areas I have had very different results.

I have three C6's with the Carbon Ceramic Brakes. None of mine have ever squeaked at all. 2 of the three have stock pads, not sure on my track car. From a pedal pressure point of view it requires a lot less pressure for normal stopping on the street, When I drive my regular 2009 Z06 I am usually surprised at how much extra effort I must exert for casual stopping. Probably just my getting used to the stopping force and ability of the CCB's and then going to steel Z06 ones which are still superior to non Z06 brakes IMHO.

Relative to dust on my wheels from my CCB's, I probably get 25% or far less than the dust my steel rotor brakes produce. Could be you have different pads on your CCB's which generated noise as well as far more dust. Just an educated guess but a guess nonetheless.

Finally unless you are modding the car or seriously pushing an LS7 on the track I would take issue with your "Con" for the Z06 that you are "forced" to put on better heads. The very real head issue impacts a small, very understandably vocal, number of owners. There are a large number of owners like me who have put a fair number of miles on these engines without a head issue surfacing.
Even if you desire to spend some insurance by having the heads looked at, it doesn't require "better" heads, just better valve guides, treatment or replacement of valves, and other normal machining you would do when the heads are off.

Not trying to start an argument but just trying to add to your already very detailed and thorough analysis as well as give a different owners experience on a couple of points you make. All of this should be great information for the OP.

Also in the whatever it is worth dept my favorite car is my IO Z07. If I could find a low mileage one I would probably sell my (heads untouched) 64,000 mile one to move up.
v8sten (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Would i be dumb to swap from ZR1 brakes to Z06