Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:54 AM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!

I made a short video for anyone who is interested in hearing what the Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust sounds like. Not too many good videos out there of this exhaust so I figured I would shed some light on how they sound. Thanks!

Modifications:
-Kook’s longtubes headers
-Kook’s Off-Road X-Pipe
-Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust

Last edited by TheBeastCarson; 05-31-2021 at 06:12 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by TheBeastCarson:
Bud Dieselman (12-07-2023), jbeezy (11-08-2021), Maligator (08-16-2023), Pb82 Ronin (06-01-2021), Rozarioagro (11-08-2021), Seein_red (05-31-2021), WasVette (04-13-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-31-2021, 12:28 PM
Sicvette
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Sounds really good thanks for sharing.
The following users liked this post:
TheBeastCarson (06-02-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 03:34 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by Sicvette
Sounds really good thanks for sharing.

Thank you!
Old 05-31-2021, 05:13 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 376 Likes on 301 Posts

You might want to mention what modifications you have like headers, cam, heads etc.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:11 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by double06
You might want to mention what modifications you have like headers, cam, heads etc.
I did. It’s in the video description. I added it on here as well now.

Last edited by TheBeastCarson; 05-31-2021 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:53 PM
jbeezy
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking for a valved system and thought the Billy Boat was it. I’m liking this Hooker system. Love how the valves actually quiet down the car.

What role does these play with power? Any negative/positive effect?
Old 05-31-2021, 10:10 PM
rgeorge33
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a great sounding exhaust. I also have it and like it. I have stock manifolds w/ cats and a cooks x-pipe, so it's probably a little more quiet than yours. Only down side is the fitment isn't great. Hopefully you were able to get yours to fit better than mine.
The following users liked this post:
Turbokraft (06-01-2021)
Old 05-31-2021, 10:11 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by jbeezy
Sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking for a valved system and thought the Billy Boat was it. I’m liking this Hooker system. Love how the valves actually quiet down the car.

What role does these play with power? Any negative/positive effect?

I can’t tell a difference in power. With the valves open it turns the exhaust basically into a straight pipe with no back pressure. So I would assume there would be a little more power.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:13 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by rgeorge33
It's a great sounding exhaust. I also have it and like it. I have stock manifolds w/ cats and a cooks x-pipe, so it's probably a little more quiet than yours. Only down side is the fitment isn't great. Hopefully you were able to get yours to fit better than mine.

I completely agree with you on fitment. I had to really play around with them to get the tips to get even and both point straight out the back. And I still couldn’t get the drivers side to line up perfect with the passenger. Pretty frustrating.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:19 PM
rgeorge33
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBeastCarson
I completely agree with you on fitment. I had to really play around with them to get the tips to get even and both point straight out the back. And I still couldn’t get the drivers side to line up perfect with the passenger. Pretty frustrating.
Mine is like yours--driver side is quite a bit off. I dropped it off with a fabricator I trust this weekend to fix the pipes. I really want the fitment to look OEM.

Great job with the video. It'll be a nice resource for other folks trying to decide on an exhaust.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:22 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Mine is like yours--driver side is quite a bit off. I dropped it off with a fabricator I trust this weekend to fix the pipes. I really want the fitment to look OEM.

Great job with the video. It'll be a nice resource for other folks trying to decide on an exhaust.

I hope everything goes well getting yours to look perfect! Other than the fitment I absolutely love the sound of these mufflers.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:25 PM
jbeezy
Racer

the fitment issue is part of the reason I’m wanting to get rid of the Borla S TYPE II. I definitely want another valved exhaust because I don’t want to go back to stock NPP.

Last edited by jbeezy; 05-31-2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:49 AM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by jbeezy
the fitment issue is part of the reason I’m wanting to get rid of the Borla S TYPE II. I definitely want another valved exhaust because I don’t want to go back to stock NPP.
I have the 2011+ stock NPP and can't imagine aftermarket sounding that much better. Especially for $1500-2000.
The following 4 users liked this post by SPDKLZ1:
DEANDOLLA (11-09-2021), jbeezy (06-01-2021), Minkster (11-27-2021), scramblerman (08-10-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 01:01 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks for the video, nicely done.

I've been considering the Blackhearts in fact my buddy has a new set but hasen't installed them yet. Good to know about the fitment issues.

Wondering how the drone is from 1000 to 1600 RPM or so with the valves open and with the valves closed.

I replaced my B&B Gen 2s with their Gen 3 setup to hopefully reduce the drone, it was annoying with both the valves open and closed with the Gen 2s but at least they were reasonably quiet with the valves closed.

The Gen 3s are much worse in terms of drone and not much quieter with the valves closed, pretty disappointing since they advertise the Gen 3s as being low drone. Car has heads/cam/kooks long tubes/X pipe/cats.

To give B&B a little slack I did have the Gen 2s installed with a bone stock LS7 and the drone wasn't nearly as bad as it is now with the modded engine.

Hoping the Blackhearts might be better with the drone issue.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM
htvette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HRDTOPC54FUN

I've been considering the Blackhearts in fact my buddy has a new set but hasen't installed them yet. Good to know about the fitment issues.

Wondering how the drone is from 1000 to 1600 RPM or so with the valves open and with the valves closed.

I replaced my B&B Gen 2s with their Gen 3 setup to hopefully reduce the drone, it was annoying with both the valves open and closed with the Gen 2s but at least they were reasonably quiet with the valves closed.

The Gen 3s are much worse in terms of drone and not much quieter with the valves closed, pretty disappointing since they advertise the Gen 3s as being low drone. Car has heads/cam/kooks long tubes/X pipe/cats.

To give B&B a little slack I did have the Gen 2s installed with a bone stock LS7 and the drone wasn't nearly as bad as it is now with the modded engine.

Thanks
The drone is slightly louder than the stock NPP exhaust when valves are closed. I agree with the fitment. Took me awhile to get the tailpipes to look even. I would have given up if I did not have a lift.
The following 2 users liked this post by htvette:
jbeezy (06-01-2021), TheBeastCarson (06-02-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 04:04 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
I have the 2011+ stock NPP and can't imagine aftermarket sounding that much better. Especially for $1500-2000.

These sound and look much better.
Old 06-01-2021, 04:05 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by htvette
The drone is slightly louder than the stock NPP exhaust when valves are closed. I agree with the fitment. Took me awhile to get the tailpipes to look even. I would have given up if I did not have a lift.

Looks perfect!!

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!

Old 06-01-2021, 04:08 PM
TheBeastCarson
Cruising

Originally Posted by HRDTOPC54FUN

Thanks

The fitment issue isn’t a huge deal. You just have to spend time getting them to look perfect. As far as drone goes, with the valves open I can’t hear anything besides LS7 madness. Now with them closed, I don’t notice any drone at all. It’s very nice to be able to close the valves going down the highway. It gets so quiet in the cab you could whisper to your partner and they would hear you.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:00 PM
HRDTOPC54FUN
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks again. Appreciate the info. First time I've been able to get an opinion on the drone.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:33 PM
jbeezy
Racer

Yea thanks again. I think I may go for this one.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hooker Blackheart NPP Exhaust!